• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where can I buy an alignment scope?

signswi

Short question: we do a lot of our own maintenance on our JV3, including fine adjustments, and I'm tired of trying to see the lines with a loop. Does anyone know where I can buy the scope the techs use?

signswi

Was kind of looking for one with the measurements so you can see if you're within tolerance quickly but those are great suggestions. I'll hit Radio Shack and see if they still stock anything other than resold cell phone plans anymore. :banghead:

tbaker

I'm a service tech, it's what I do for a living, I prefer to use a loupe, but I can see how it can get tiresome.

One of the techs in my network has one of these, and I'm seriously considering getting it, it's easy to use, and gives great magnification.

http://www.hayneedle.com/optics/sport-optics/microscopes_celestron44302handhelddigitalmicroscope.cfm

on the other hand it's a bit more expensive then this, which is what I typically use ( daily)

http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Aids-UltraOptix-Linen-Tester-Loupe-Magnifier/dp/B00076NVLM

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I'm the tech tbaker (Hey Trent!) mentioned as having the Celestron digital microscope. It works very well for me, especially as I use a netbook in the field. It makes doing the fine alignment on the Mimaki very easy. One of the useful features for me is its ability to take pictures and videos, which can be incredibly useful for evaluating problems where you want to send high power images or video to someone trying to help you solve those problems (such as on this forum).

tbaker

I'd fully endorse Jim's scope, it may have been his total gadget mastery, but he made it look very easy, and it did a great job.

Hey Jim! Hope things are going well in S. Fla! For those people needing a tech in that area, Jim is the bomb and knows his stuff!

4R Graphics

Tbaker,
Thanks for the link to Jims microscope that is awesome I will be buying one of those. Yippie no more leaning over to look through the scope (I Love Technology)

10sacer

Scope

I use a Beta Industries Color Viewer I have has since my days of offset prepress.

You can see into the future with it if you put the magnifier on top - but the straight lens works fine PLUS you have the ability to apply color filters to the CMY which makes it alot easier to see the print - for instance you engage the blue filter to show yellow easier

http://www.betascreen.com/Products/Magnifiers/magnifiers.html

4R Graphics

I do like the ability to select what color I am looking at as that would make alignment easier select color and have a grid on laptop screen then select color B and see where it lines up to the grid. Super simple but the other one is ALOT cheaper. I bet theres away to shift colors on the chaeper microscope in the software. When I get one I will have to play with some stuff.

Thanks for the links

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
The LED's in the Celestron's lighting have enough of a blue content to make it very easy to see yellow, so no need to do anything but look at the screen. Hey Trent - staying busy in the warm where 50 degrees is like a blizzard for us.

Vinylman

I give a thumbs up to the Celestron microscope also.
I ordered on last Wednesday, and had it in hand and operating the next day.