• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where can I buy some nice beveled fonts?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know, you can bevel all your fonts, and actually do a much better job on your own.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The easiest thing to do is use "chromatic" types of fonts where multiple copies of the same text string are stacked on top of each other using different styles of that font family. Industry Inc by Fort Foundry is one example. It has bevel, shadow, inline and other styles to stack on each other in different colors. There are quite a few of these kinds of fonts available. Just use key words like "chromatic fonts" or "bevel fonts" when doing searches. The Adobe Fonts service has some search key words like "shaded" and "inline" for finding those kinds of fonts.

OpenType-SVG fonts can do a better job with the inner bevel "prismatic" effects. Trajan Color is a OTF-SVG font family bundled in with Adobe Illustrator.

As for creating your own beveled effects in fonts, it's only easy if you're doing a minor bevel effect. If the bevel is intended to go all the way to the center of the letter stroke all effects filters end up sucking big time at delivering. Photoshop's Inner Bevel effect works good for subtle bevels. If the effect is ramped all the way to the center of the letter stroke the effect looks terrible. That's because the software and computer cannot accurately define the exact center of the letter strokes. The effect gets bowled out and all stupid and sloppy looking at all the corners and joins of the letters. A proper looking chisel/bevel effect going to the center of the letter stroke has to be built by hand. Doing that is time consuming on simple sans serif typefaces. And it's really bad when attempted on text oriented serif typefaces.

Vinylman

EXACTLY "what" do you mean by the term "BEVELED"?

Like this example??
BEVEL.jpg

The easiest thing to do is use "chromatic" types of fonts where multiple copies of the same text string are stacked on top of each other using different styles of that font family. Industry Inc by Fort Foundry is one example. It has bevel, shadow, inline and other styles to stack on each other in different colors. There are quite a few of these kinds of fonts available. Just use key words like "chromatic fonts" or "bevel fonts" when doing searches. The Adobe Fonts service has some search key words like "shaded" and "inline" for finding those kinds of fonts.

OpenType-SVG fonts can do a better job with the inner bevel "prismatic" effects. Trajan Color is a OTF-SVG font family bundled in with Adobe Illustrator.

As for creating your own beveled effects in fonts, it's only easy if you're doing a minor bevel effect. If the bevel is intended to go all the way to the center of the letter stroke all effects filters end up sucking big time at delivering. Photoshop's Inner Bevel effect works good for subtle bevels. If the effect is ramped all the way to the center of the letter stroke the effect looks terrible. That's because the software and computer cannot accurately define the exact center of the letter strokes. The effect gets bowled out and all stupid and sloppy looking at all the corners and joins of the letters. A proper looking chisel/bevel effect going to the center of the letter stroke has to be built by hand. Doing that is time consuming on simple sans serif typefaces. And it's really bad when attempted on text oriented serif typefaces.
OK Thanks

I believe the confusion is between the description of bevel vs. chisel. Bevel is what you might do to an edge of just about anything from woodworking to these letters. Chiseled I would tend to think might go to the center of letters.