• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where do I start

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Back in 1984, when I was the only guy in town to have a Gerber digitizing tablet, I was handed a thermographed business card and asked to reproduce the Jillsander logo for the front window of a new store going in on Worth Avenue in Palm Beach. I had it blown up and proceeded to do the job and was paid. Six months later, Mr. Jillsander's limo pulled up in front of the store for the first time. As his foot hit the sidewalk the first words out of his mouth were "Dat is not my logo".

Good eye on his part. Actually, you weren't given exact artwork, so you couldn't produce. You got paid a second time, so it must've been recognized it wasn't your fault.

It turned out I got it about 5% too bold due to starting with a thermographed image. We were supplied with proper artwork and redid the job along with getting paid again.

On another occasion, I was installing test readings on a dentist's front window and at the point of squaring up the masked readings. From about 30 feet away the dentist asked me to correct the slanted reading as it was too low on one side. I explained that his eye was being fooled by the fact that there readings were masked. He insisted I recheck it and, sure enough, it was .125" off on one side.

It's never a good idea to mess with someone whose main goal in life is 100% symmetry.

I no longer assume that there are shortcuts I can take that the client will never notice.

In this case, it is an artist's rendering to begin with. Anyone is going to have to take some poetic license regardless of how they re-produce it. I can see it with the image supplied already. Windows are uneven and things don't match at all.

The circles kinda represent an area focused on at a single time in hours. I could be off by minutes or an hour or two total, but not a day or two. In most cases, most of the elements produced in the beginning will aid in other areas and there will be less and less to do for each section. Last would be all the connecting lines and crap that really isn't necessary.

Attachments

• park scene.jpg
    park scene.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 52

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I disagree, I can do this in 4-5 hrs easily. Actually maybe less.

I have done over 20,000 conversions. I know how to do things very quickly. I am not sure how you can. As I said, no one here has seen the better quality image that was sent over that shows how detailed this thing is

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
some closeups

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-05-22 at 6.37.23 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-05-22 at 6.37.23 PM.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen shot 2013-05-22 at 6.37.09 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-05-22 at 6.37.09 PM.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen shot 2013-05-22 at 6.36.49 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-05-22 at 6.36.49 PM.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen shot 2013-05-22 at 6.36.39 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-05-22 at 6.36.39 PM.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen shot 2013-05-22 at 6.36.09 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-05-22 at 6.36.09 PM.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 54

HulkSmash

I have done over 20,000 conversions. I know how to do things very quickly. I am not sure how you can. As I said, no one here has seen the better quality image that was sent over that shows how detailed this thing is

Congrats? I also know how to do things very quickly. I see the details. It's doable.

aahedo

Map Issues

My friend,
Like some posted, you can have someone to recreate the whole thing or there's another easier option if you use Illustrator, Corel or Photoshop. Really if your customer don't need a super detailed illustration you can focus on having better quality on numbers and information. Let me know if need more details ;)
art

Biker Scout

I know I'm a couple months late, but if this hasn't been done yet I can do it, and pretty fast too. Plus I'm also in Las Vegas!

binki

When we get something like this we ask for the original artwork. When we are told it is not available, we pass.

Funny thing about that. An Angel :peace!: (closest thing to an angel here!)

comes from the sky and the original art, once thought to be lost, suddenly appears.

We only take profitable jobs. We let our competition take the unprofitable ones. If the angel does not appear, we still pass.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
When we get something like this we ask for the original artwork. When we are told it is not available, we pass.

Funny thing about that. An Angel :peace!: (closest thing to an angel here!)

comes from the sky and the original art, once thought to be lost, suddenly appears.

We only take profitable jobs. We let our competition take the unprofitable ones. If the angel does not appear, we still pass.

You, sir or madam as the case may be, are the only sane voice in this entire discussion.

Everyone is presented with some iteration of this problem at some time or another. I run a sign shop, my lack of interest in recreating something like this, no matter how lucrative, is of Brobdignagian proportion.

On those occasions where I have to deal with something like this, I print a small but telling section of the image at full size and present it to the client. Then the ball is in their court, it's their move. Either they choose to go with what's in front of them or they somehow manage to come up with a decent copy of that heretofore elusive artwork.