• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

where do we go, now?

bamawrapper

Hi everyone!
My name is Shane Morris and I am a billboard installer who stumbled into installing vehicle wraps about 7 years ago. I am primarily self taught and have done about 50+ full wraps (transit buses, suv's, cars, trucks, boats, etc;), outfitted about 200 Alabama state trooper cars with complete decals, and installed countless transit bus ads. I do not print or design, only install. I have worked primarily with 2 companies in my area (one of which is no longer in business). I learned quite a bit the hard way but feel I do very high quality work-compared to what I've seen online and 1st hand. I REALLY love installing and want to do more wraps but I'm having trouble with where to start. I don't really have great contacts and no one seems to want to talk to me without a certification- even though I have a nice portfolio. If anyone has any advice I would be very grateful. Sorry if this has run a bit long but I figured just lay it all out there, right? Thanks everyone!

Replicator

It's Sunday night at almost midnight ET . . .

If you bump your thread tomorrow morning I'm sure you will get many more replies than you will receive now.

Welcome !

BobM

Your portfolio should be your "certification". It would seem that for you to take a 1 or 3 day class would be a waste, unless of course, you're the teacher. Haven't seen your work but to last 7 years doing it you must have some good ability.

Maybe a classified ad on Signs 101 would get you some additonal business is you're willing to travel a little?

Mikeifg

Get Certified then you'll find more work if your work is of good quality. Other than that it's tough to get anything out there now.

702 graphics

Honestly a cert means nothing to me...All it means it you paid money to have someone show you stuff that you already know or have to figure out on your own anyway.
Let your work speak for yourself.
Why would I pay a competitor (Lowen) to cert me. So I can show my client that my competitor approves of me?

702 graphics

Good Installers are the hardest thing to find in this business. I put together your portfolio and start hitting shops.

speedmedia

Honestly a cert means nothing to me...All it means it you paid money to have someone show you stuff that you already know or have to figure out on your own anyway.
Let your work speak for yourself.
Why would I pay a competitor (Lowen) to cert me. So I can show my client that my competitor approves of me?

I agree with 702. I'd rather have a good, solid installer cert. means nothing if you know what you are doing.

It is important to put some sort of portfolio together and hit shops in the area or mail something / email to others in your region to try to hustle up some gigs.

Thanks,
Kurt

Thanks,
Kurt

tanneji

One thing about the cert though ... Our installer got the 3M, Lowen etc because they only call their certified installers to do installs for them. It's mainly fleet trucks, vans, electric company bucket trucks. Lots and lots of fleet graphics but it seems to be good easy money for him. He has to travel a fair amount but typically will not involve overnight in a hotel. Something to think about ...

ProWraps

if a cert is what is being requested by your potential employers to land your jobs, then the answer seems pretty clear to me. go get certed.

what anyone on this site has at all to say about how they feel about certs is irrelevant.

welcome to the site.

bamawrapper

Thanks for all the helpful info everyone! I feel like I'm already gaining very helpful insight from folks who have already been to this rodeo!

grafixemporium

All I can tell you is how things are in the Houston area. I know 4 of the best installers in the city who have each been wrapping cars for 10+ years... before the wonderful world of air egress. I don't think any of these guys are interested in being on the cover of a catalog. They love what they do and they do it extremely well. The ambitious ones make a damn good living at it. None of them are "certified" or interested in becoming "certified"... but I guarantee they can wrap circles around 95% of the installers who are.

ProWraps

All I can tell you is how things are in the Houston area. I know 4 of the best installers in the city who have each been wrapping cars for 10+ years... before the wonderful world of air egress. I don't think any of these guys are interested in being on the cover of a catalog. They love what they do and they do it extremely well. The ambitious ones make a damn good living at it. None of them are "certified" or interested in becoming "certified"... but I guarantee they can wrap circles around 95% of the installers who are.

yeah, i would just tell your potential employers that. im sure it will work just as well :thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, that thinking is like saying... I'm an electrician and I know what I'm doing, but I was never tested or licensed to do this stuff. I don't need no stinking license. Just hire me and find out.

If the end-user requests it.... I would imagine you'd have to either get certified or say you can't do it.

I don't understand a need for a conversation on something so simple and to the point.

grafixemporium

If a certification had some basis of measurement or some measureable fundamental skill level that had to be achieved to attain one, I might agree with you guys. Also, if it were required by law, I would certainly agree. However, comparing a car wrap installer to an electrician is a little... well... incredibly far fetched. Let's face it, you guys are trying to add value to what we do by saying you are "certified". But what does that even mean? I can print my own certificate and hang it on the wall that says I'm certified. There are no city - county - state - or national requirements that say a car wrap installer needs to be certified in anything. That simply is not the case with electricians and plumbers.

As for potential employers... well... we are his potential employers. I'm saying as a potential employer for someone like Shane, I am wayyyy more interested in hearing how long he's been working with vinyl and seeing some pictures of projects he's installed than I am in seeing a copy of a virtually meaningless Lowen Certification.

Companies like 3M and Lowen who offer and host these certification classes are in it for one reason and one reason only... cha-ching!!

ProWraps

I don't understand a need for a conversation on something so simple and to the point.

gino, i think hell hath frozen over.

i dont see why when an employer asks for something its so hard to understand that you either comply or you dont get the job. a hammer, a degree, a squeege or a certification.

why anyones personal thoughts about certification were even were posted on this thread, is beyond me.