• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

where do we go, now?

grafixemporium

Ye Almighty ProWraps Hath Spoken. May All Ye Thoughts And Opinions Be Shite Upon.

When's the next certification class... I GOTTA GO!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
grafix...

It has nothing to do with the legal ramifications of law or anything else. The power of the certificate means nothing. The value of the certificate means nothing.

It is/was a requirement by the customer and your nor anyone else's opinion matter in this scenario at all.

However, producing a fake certificate would put you at the bottom of the pond in my book. Anyone that thinks they can falsify documents or records cannot be trusted in my game.

Let's take a closer look at your theory.​

Perhaps money is a main ingredient in 3M or other certification facilities, but what isn't about making money today ?? Many more installers have gone out and provided total hack jobs on vehicles than not..... and I've seen lots of them, locally and in other cities and states. There are far too many hacks doing this stuff and the amount of newbies professing to start somewhere are among the reasons we need to have this in our industry. It's too bad we can't all agree on a level and make sure everyone is up to the bar, but at least they are trying and it costs money to do this. Is it a money maker. yes to some. It also helps bring in money if you are indeed certified AND can carry out the task.

Craig Sjoquist

Knows they are screaming for quality installers... certification has got to help maybe not today but tomorrow ...that alone will start weeding out the weak as time goes on

To bad certification is not demanded for advertising designers

ProWraps

Ye Almighty ProWraps Hath Spoken. May All Ye Thoughts And Opinions Be Shite Upon.

When's the next certification class... I GOTTA GO!!

actually i answered his question. what to do when an employer wants a cert.

my answer: get a cert.

you chose to continually whine about the worthlessness of certs. either:

a) you cant read
b) you just want to complain.

regardless, your answer was devoid of any help to the user and anyone else on this board.

being overly dramatic about someone pointing this out to you, doesnt further your cause and shows not only that you didnt pay attention to the OP's original question, but also that you are a cry baby.

i am not almighty (but thank you for the compliment), but i can read. and just because i can, and can provide a legible answer to the OP, i feel that my response was valid. i politely applogize if you didnt.

We hire nationwide installers ....

Some have been on the job for 90 days to complete big retail projects. others I have outsourced for regional wraps. Some installers get called for 1 offs..

Certification is the last thing I could care about... Show me your install history and I will back your skills.

Certs.. are great for hiring an installer blind. But in such a small industry word of mouth reputation, solid working relationship industry wide and a healthy portfolio means more..

The wrap biz for installers is way to small to "fake the funk" and the hacks are weeded out all the time....... The good guys are always put in the "database"..

Last edited:

grafixemporium

actually i answered his question. what to do when an employer wants a cert.

my answer: get a cert.

you chose to continually whine about the worthlessness of certs. either:

a) you cant read
b) you just want to complain.

regardless, your answer was devoid of any help to the user and anyone else on this board.

being overly dramatic about someone pointing this out to you, doesnt further your cause and shows not only that you didnt pay attention to the OP's original question, but also that you are a cry baby.

i am not almighty (but thank you for the compliment), but i can read. and just because i can, and can provide a legible answer to the OP, i feel that my response was valid. i politely applogize if you didnt.

Apology accepted.

zmatalucci

you could wrap presents for Macy's at christmas time and claim to be certified, and guaranteed your customers would hold more validity to your macys cert than s-lowen. IMO

bamawrapper

WOW! Didn't mean to rock the boat quite so hard!! I do appreciate all the input, though. I agree, in some ways, with both sides of the big certification debate. I believe it to be useless in defining skill level-but if the customer wants it and you want the job, well.... I guess at this point I'll just have to start digging and cold call (fun). What's that old saying....A thousand mile journey begins with one step?

bamawrapper

OK so I may be shooting the moon but anyone have suggestions on shops that may look favorably on quality over a cert in the southeast region? That's probably more than folks may want to divulge but hey, the most foolish question is the one left unasked!

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
IMO if you have customers (national accounts) asking for a certification, I would get it. Your losing more than the ones that do call.

Start making a list of the companies with names and contacts. Most won't call back unless they can't find anyone else. If you do get certified call them back and let them know.

Certification does not mean your the best installer ever. It's a bar set high enough to prove that you know how to prep, line up, and install all types of graphics through written and performance based tests.

All of us have met people from all walks of life that can talk up a storm, but when it comes time to do it, they just don't cut it. Certification helps large print houses cut through all that BS.

Certifications:

PDAA.com - Association, not tied to a manufacturer. Web listing. Part of the SGIA.org
UASG.org - Used to have full 3M support. Web listing
LowenCertified.com - 3M support. No web listing so appears you only get jobs directly from them.
WrapExperts.com - 3M support. No web listing.