• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where to purchase Extira?

Kottwitz-Graphics

I just got the newest issue of Sign Craft in, and was noticing that a good bit of signs were done with Extira. I did a quick search, and will sit down tonight to read through the posts using it. But my question is what supplier on the east coast carries Extira? How does it compare in durability / cost to MDO?

Pioneer Supply has it. Medex from Harbor is supposed to be similar, but haven't tried it exterior yet (or Extira for that matter to compare).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure, but I don't think comparing it to MDO is really fair. You're comparing a plywood to basically a sawdust and glue combo.

I think you'll find it more suitable for routing and CNC'ing than anything else.... and even then ya have to be careful with it.

Billct2

Like medex it has to be thoroughly sealed if used outside. It also is very dense, so very heavy.
We did a small sign with it and though we we very careful about sealing we still had an issue with one piece swelling a year later.

SignManiac

I shoved a sample piece into the toilet tank for months and saw no change in it. You can't use water based primer on the stuff. Have you use oil base and then you can finish with water based latex. I made a sign with it about ten years ago but have not had a chance to go and see how it held up. No calls from the customer so I'll assume it held up.

Jillbeans

Make sure to get a truss from the drug store when you plan to buy Extira.
It's heavy as hell.
I've used it (was given a free sample years ago)
Paint doesn't want to stick to it, it makes a mess to cut, and like I said, it's a real nut-buster.
It does hold up...but to me, it was not worth the effort.
Love....Jill