• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White Metallic Wrap film?

Joe Diaz

Does anyone know if there is a printable WHITE metallic Wrap film out there. Preferably high performance cast. I know there is metallic overlaminates, but that isn't what I'm after. I trying to find something that is like silver metallic, but much, much lighter, so when we print on it the colors don't become so dull, but some of the "fleck" shines through.

Does such a thing exist?

MikePro

printers can print metallics nowadays, so doubtful :)

hopefully someone can prove otherwise. What about outsourcing someone to print a light metallic on wrap film and shipping it to you to print over with your wrap design?

Joe Diaz

printers can print metallics nowadays, so doubtful :)

hopefully someone can prove otherwise. What about outsourcing someone to print a light metallic on wrap film and shipping it to you to print over with your wrap design?

We don't like to outsource printing, unless it's for larger quantities of coroplast signs, We'd prefer to print things like wraps in house, where we have more control over the results, and can quickly remedy any mess ups on our part. Plus it's just more cost effective. If it doesn't exist, we will simply try something different.

The metallic laminates would be the next best thing, the reason I want to see if this product exists, is because it is much easier to swap out other media in our printer, then in our laminator. And I mean MUCH easier. LOL. We like our laminator when it is locked n loaded, but it is a pain in the butt any other time. So it is just a matter of finding something a bit more efficient and cost effective.

Perhaps some day in the future we will get a printer that can print metallics, but until then. I'm curious to see if there is the right product for us.

parkedcar

I did a small wrap this summer with the metallic laminate. It looks OK in the sun, but more than anything, i kept wanting to wipe the "dust" off it.
It just doesn't have enough depth, like real metallic.
35065_422924692093_203897732093_4786645_3708930_n.jpg
IMG_1102.jpg

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I've often wondered why no one makes a product like that. There are White Pearlesent films available but nothing with a Control-Tac type adhesive as far as I know. It might be a nice product and have a similar daylight shimmer like printed reflective.

I can't image metallic laminates look that nice since you would want the metallic flakes under the transparent ink that is being printed not laying on top.

Joe Diaz

I did a small wrap this summer with the metallic laminate. It looks OK in the sun, but more than anything, i kept wanting to wipe the "dust" off it.
It just doesn't have enough depth, like real metallic.
View attachment 59221
View attachment 59222

What laminate did you use? Was it the Mactac 6398, or the R-tape patterned overlaminate, or was it something different?

I remember walking by an R-tape booth and seeing that they had such a product, but I didn't stop and take a closer look. Now that I want to try something on an upcoming project, I'm kicking myself that I didn't take the time to check it out.

But if what you say is true then perhaps printing on the metallic would have a better look. I also like the idea of darker colors that can be printed a bit heaver on a reflective material would black out the "fleck" and lighter colors would let it shine through. I see that as enhancing the contrast between light and dark colors, which would create a cool look. Kind of like when you print on white reflective.

Joe Diaz

Hey Mike, what is that Pearlescent film you are talking about. Ideally a conforming wrap film would be the way to go, but if it didn't I think we could still work with it on this upcoming project and other future projects. We do a lot of semi doors and those graphics go on flat surfaces. I think truckers would love to have something like that.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I know Avery has a couple. I believe they're rated for 5 years but not sure if they're cast or cal. Cast most likely. 3M might have one

Last edited:

Malkin

Just a thought... you could laminate the pearlescent white vinyl or the metallic laminate to some 3M wrap film and print on that....

Of course that wouldn't really solve the issue of loading the laminator. Though you could do a whole roll then keep it on hand for the occasional printing.

parkedcar

Joe Diaz said:
What laminate did you use? Was it the Mactac 6398, or the R-tape patterned overlaminate, or was it something different?

I remember walking by an R-tape booth and seeing that they had such a product, but I didn't stop and take a closer look. Now that I want to try something on an upcoming project, I'm kicking myself that I didn't take the time to check it out.

But if what you say is true then perhaps printing on the metallic would have a better look. I also like the idea of darker colors that can be printed a bit heaver on a reflective material would black out the "fleck" and lighter colors would let it shine through. I see that as enhancing the contrast between light and dark colors, which would create a cool look. Kind of like when you print on white reflective.

I'd have to ask chris at AZ Pro. He does all my printing.

Printing on metallic would look great!
The contrast is beautiful! My brother in law does wedding photography and some of the albums he gets in are printed on a pearl paper, and they look amazing! Really wish we could replicate that finish on a wrap.

Joe Diaz

Just a thought... you could laminate the pearlescent white vinyl or the metallic laminate to some 3M wrap film and print on that....

Of course that wouldn't really solve the issue of loading the laminator. Though you could do a whole roll then keep it on hand for the occasional printing.

Yeah but then we would have to laminate over the printed laminate surface. HeHe. That would be one thick print and a little more costly.

We do something similar for our city's wayfinding signs. We get high intensity reflective stop sign gauge aluminium from the city, who gets them for a lot cheaper then we can. We print the layout on clear, then laminate that and install it on the reflective blanks.

I'd have to ask chris at AZ Pro. He does all my printing.
I've been working with Chris on a few projects. I'll pick his brain.

Printing on metallic would look great!
Other then the dull colors, it looks pretty darn good on silver. If it were on white I know it would look even better.

synergy_jim

Joe,

Trim USA has a metallic cast overlam that has translucent flakes in it. They don't dull the graphic at all. I have used it with 3M 180cv3 and it works great.