• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why is Oracal white vinyl so hard to weed?

toomeycustoms

We do a lot of cut vinyl and use mainly Oracal 631 and some 651 and 751. The white vinyl is a pain in the arse to weed. I've tried new blades, both 45 and 60 degree. Adjusting the pressure, which helps slightly, but still does not weed as easily as all of the other colors. Does anyone else have this problem?

The only thing I can think of is the backing paper is causing the problem since it is blue and all the other colors are white and we have no problems with all of the other colors. If that is the case, ORACAL please offer an option with the white backing paper.

idsignsil

We use 651 almost daily. I have found with the white I have to back the force down a little bit compared to cutting any other color in 651. It weeds just fine, if I cut at the same force as I use for colors, the backer paper wants to come up with it along the cut lines.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you have this same problem with another manufacturer's white vinyl ??

We use a lota Feller's white ShineRite which also has a blue backer. No problems with that stuff.

Mosh

Blue backing paper is the bomb! I never have a prob, I use oracal 651 and 751 daily.

Jillbeans

I have never had a problem weeding white oracal. I love the blue backing paper.
Sometimes I need to add more force with silver metallic.
Love....Jill

TammieH

We use a lot of Black and White BriteLine from Grimco, same thing, the black you can pretty much rip weed, whereas the white, most of the time you end up nursing it a bit. Especially smaller copy, I believe the blue release paper has less grip on the vinyl, at least that's my guess.

Years ago back in Ohio we use to use pretty much nothing but Avery premium vinyl, had no problem with weeding except the dark green at the time...strange.

joshGN

Ive found with white 651, you have to weed it right after you take it off the cutter. If you let it sit awhile, its a PITA....

wildside

Ive found with white 651, you have to weed it right after you take it off the cutter. If you let it sit awhile, its a PITA....

We have found this also. But with all oracal vinyls, 751 any color.

Its a 15 minute window from cutting to done weeeding or its a pain. I have been thinking the adhesive must migrate back or something.

Supergirl

I have the same problem with both avery and a house brand white intermediate vinyl. i *hate* weeding white.

I never thought about the backing paper, i always thought the other colors have more "weight" and are thus easier to weed.

rjssigns

We've been using 3M Electrocut with the plastic carrier/backer. Seems we get all these microscopic cut vinyl jobs and its the only material we can "manic weed".

lodcomm

We've been using 3M Electrocut with the plastic carrier/backer. Seems we get all these microscopic cut vinyl jobs and its the only material we can "manic weed".

What angle blade do you folks use for the smallest letters?

-t

TammieH

on smaller copy, if I can, and its convenient, I will apply to substrate then weed...so much easier on tiny letters

player

Girls are so much better at weeding small difficult stuff then guys. When I discovered this, I started using only female dentists.

toucan_graphics

I cut several of a customer's logo into small 4"x6" promo decals (Pain in the a$$ because of all the fine line detail) and the Oracal 651 WHITE just doesn't want to weed at all. The only thing that is weedable with white is the sombrero. Same decal, same size, same pressure, same speed etc in Oracal 651 BLACK cuts and weeds like a dream!

Gringo FInal medium.jpg

S'N'S

I find that every brand I have tried sucks when it comes to weeding white, yet have no trouble "Hero" weeding any other colours. I had to do 2 lots of 800 60mm x 170mm white stickers for a WRX club in white and not only was the text small, there were 5 small stars as well.....what PITA, nearly done my head in.

Attachments

• WRX.jpg
    WRX.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 188