• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why the product shortages?

SignosaurusRex

IMHO, It all boils down to a shortage of workforce. On one hand, some folks are choosing to not return to work while they can get unemployment benefits coupled with the extra federal covid response money, taking advantage of the system ...and a lack of incentive.
Production / output is therefore reduced. There is also a shortage in the supply chain due to a lack of truck drivers etc.
The entire chain from ingredient to production to delivery, all the way to the end user is full of broken and weak links.
Almost everything from food to fuel and building materials etc. is affected.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, why is there no shortage of illegals coming in ??
Why is there no shortage of drugs coming in ??
Why is there no shortage of diseases and other non-wanted things coming in ??
Why is there no shortage of idiots all around ??

zspace

Premium Subscriber
Suppliers keep saying the ships can’t get in to unload. Backlog of cargo ships plus shortage of dock hands. Add that to the shortage of containers in China and the shortage of hands in the delivery chain and you get shortages. Maybe the government could help by paying people extra to stay unemployed so we don’t need so many supplies.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I think many companies realized after they cut staff that they can charge 5x more increase profits without needing to ramp back up. Production of a lot of raw materials has become so consolidated that it only takes a handful to disrupt a large amount of manufacturers. Maybe it's time to start looking at antitrust laws again because this will end up having pretty severe economic implications in the near future.

It comes down to supply chain. There is supposedly one manufacturing plant in Texas that supplies one element used in all CAST and CALENDAR vinyl formulas for 3M and Avery. During their storm this year, that plant experienced hard damage that is limiting the manufacturing of said element. Arlon who has there own stateside plant, is not going through that. But what happened next is the kicker. Arlon has picked up over 50% of all the Avery and 3M business because of it and now is sold out of there former 9 month warehoused supply and dealing with international importing issues with liner. They cannot get it. I tell you it is just crazy. We are calling daily and buying all we can, but boy have there been some delays. Hopefully they can all get caught up soon, but it doesn't look like it. We have issues with all petroleum based products right now.

gnubler

My supplier is out of epanel and Dibond, with no firm ETA on delivery. Might be time to go back a hundred years and hand paint signs on boards of wood.

gnubler

So, why is there no shortage of illegals coming in ??
Why is there no shortage of drugs coming in ??
Why is there no shortage of diseases and other non-wanted things coming in ??
Why is there no shortage of idiots all around ??
More importantly, when will the ammo shortage end? Methinks some ugly times are coming our way.

rjssigns

Supply shortages are simple economics:
1)Manufacturers of sign panels, lumber, whatever, shutdown or slowed operations to a crawl laying off workers in the process.
No point paying staff to make product you can't sell.
2)These manufacturers calculated needs based on a nationwide shut down so they didn't buy raw goods.
This plan snaked its way through the supply chain but it was the wrong plan.
3) Stockpiles of raw materials and finished goods were depleted.
4) Now there is a rush to "refill" the supply pipeline.

Issue here is two fold. First is people being paid more to stay home.
Second is these supply chains are absolutely massive. Even if it was as simple as flipping a switch it can takes weeks or months to get back to a normal schedule.
Once back in production you have to fill all the backorders with limited raw materials and staff.

From a business perspective I find all of this fascinating.

Stacey K

I like making signs
More importantly, when will the ammo shortage end? Methinks some ugly times are coming our way.
Someone told me they talked to a Federal ammo salesman. He told them they have a warehouse FULL of ammo, the government put restrictions on them selling it or something like that. IDK how true that is, seems odd to me but doesn't surprise me.

Stacey K

I like making signs
People need to get back to work!

I talked to an old co-worker last week and praise the Lord I quit there! I almost died just listening to what a snowflake he was. He was not looking forward to actually having to go back to the office and "work" now vs. working from home. His excuse for not wanting to go back was his 2 year old is in daycare and he didn't want to bring the virus to work so he stayed home. Another girl's boyfriend works at a prison guard, same story, she was just protecting the other workers. He had a million stories of my old co-workers. Good luck getting these people to come back and be as productive as they were before - and the ones on unemployment. They've been on vacation for a year!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I know a few members on this forum alone who have quite a nice supply. Mine's not too shabby, either. I'm just finding it hard to find my howitzer rounds. o_O

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Man you ought to call some other distributors. I shopped some ACM prices last week when someone mentioned a potential shortage and all my suppliers are swimming in the stuff.
I'm pretty sure it was just a nitwit sales rep that was giving me bad information cuz his price was high.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
People need to get back to work!

I talked to an old co-worker last week and praise the Lord I quit there! I almost died just listening to what a snowflake he was. He was not looking forward to actually having to go back to the office and "work" now vs. working from home. His excuse for not wanting to go back was his 2 year old is in daycare and he didn't want to bring the virus to work so he stayed home. Another girl's boyfriend works at a prison guard, same story, she was just protecting the other workers. He had a million stories of my old co-workers. Good luck getting these people to come back and be as productive as they were before - and the ones on unemployment. They've been on vacation for a year!
I discuss this often with a large client
Do you think the employees, who don’t work, when you are watching them, suddenly develop a work ethic,
When they work from home?
We have a purchasing agent, at this client. Every day, I get a notice from Cisco firepower, that he is violating policy, watching movies on his phone. Now, I don’t pay him, so I passed the info along TWICE. his father is a VP, so it gets ignored

Question: if his day WORKING IN THE OFFICE, involves watching movies, what about the two days he “works from home”?

Multiply this by 100 or 150 employees

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
I have been using a Gerber Envision 375 15in Sprocket fed plotter for 20+ years and used 15in Punched Oracal rolls on it and all of a sudden this week Grimco calls and says
that Oracal will be discontinuing 15" Punched vinyl. Can't get it 15in Punched anymore. And Avery has very limited selections on 15in punched vinyl. 3M has it in a higher priced cast 7125 series....
So....
I guess I will be upgrading to a 24in Friction fed plotter......

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Gino, EXCEP
I know a few members on this forum alone who have quite a nice supply. Mine's not too shabby, either. I'm just finding it hard to find my howitzer rounds. o_O

Gino, EXCEPT FOR THE HOWITZER, shouldn’t you be loading your own?
you are from Pennsylvania, surely you can reload