• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wierd problem - I'm stumped...

Circleville Signs

OK - I've got a VJ1304.

This started yesterday, and I haven't been able to get it figured out. The picture below shows two images. (I've got to do a run of posters). They are the same image, and were in the same print run, side by side. If you look at the image, imagine it is coming off the printer. That's how these are tiled.

OK, so, you can see in the red squares in the print on the left, some weird streaking. It is ONLY happening in this area (about 6 inches across, and about 30" in from the print head docking station).

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Comp.jpg
    Comp.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 92

Circleville Signs

Just in that one spot? If so, how would I fix that? Remember, these two prints were in the same print job, SIDE BY SIDE. The one on the left is perfect. The one on the right has that issue, JUST in that one spot...

J Hill Designs

well, if a reprint hits that same spot again, I might say it's something else...but it looks like your media tunneled there and a head strike occurred...you in high head pos?

Circleville Signs

The reprints are having the exact same issue REGARDLESS of media type. I've tried this with poster paper, Oracal 3651, CV-3, and rolled 10mil PVC.

Same issue, same place on the print path.

And yes, head is in high position.

Any other ideas?

MachServTech

That is caused by the media rippling or drawing up from the pre and print heaters. Banner material is not dimensionally stable under heat and cheap banner is the worst. Reduce your heat till no wrinkles are visible and you may have to slow your printer down as well because the ink needs enough time to penetrate the media.

J Hill Designs

can you rotate the image 180deg and reprint to see if it hits the same part on the image or platen? might be encoder strip related if it hits same part of platen, not image...if it hits the same part of the image, I'm stumped

Circleville Signs

So far i've tried Tri-Solv 12 mil poster paper, Oracal 3651, Brightline Duration, CV-3, and some 10mil rolled PVC. The problem is in the same area of the print path, regardless.

Poster paper is what the supplied image was printed on.

What's an edge guard?

MachServTech

Is there something on the print path "platen" in that location? Tape, media? Run your hand along there to see if you can feel anything, then move the carriage by hand (machine is off and UNcapped) back and forth over that area. Get down and examine this from eye level front.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Run an entirely different file, but one that's the same size and use all of the same profiles and other controls [heat, vacuum, tension on grippers, etc.]..... and see if it happens to it. Then turn your current file 90° and see if it happens again.

We've had something like this happen some time ago and it turned out to be some interference with our ethernet and the rip sending the signal and something was causing the interference.... creating areas on our prints to have stuff happening that was unaccountable.

luggnut

is there ink on the grit roller? i had that happen before every time the roller turned it would leave a mark. much smaller than what you have but might be the same issue?

Circleville Signs

OK...After doing all the things mentioned here, and getting the same problem, I took the left cap off the printer (The one that has the Mutoh logo on it), took the print head ALL the way to the extreme left, and got in there with a flashlight.

it was a mess. Gunked ink all over the back of the print head where it sits on the wiper. After a thorough cleaning with solvent and a head soack, all is right in the world.

Whew.

Thanks for your help everyone!

jiarby

I think you are supposed to do that once a week! I go about 3-4 weeks between head wipedowns. I am pretty good now working upside down with a mirror!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think you are supposed to do that once a week! I go about 3-4 weeks between head wipedowns. I am pretty good now working upside down with a mirror!

That reminds me... I have a dentist appointment coming up. :thankyou:

MachServTech

it was a mess. Gunked ink all over the back of the print head where it sits on the wiper. After a thorough cleaning with solvent and a head soack, all is right in the world.

Bad that it happened to you, good that you shared it with Signs 101.

A lot of folks neglect to clean the undercarriage surfaces and the area around the capping station. If these areas do not get weekly maint. you get gooey Klingon's! The other result that is common is a "brush stroke" on the edges of the media.

Just make sure that all cleaning is done with lint free polyester materials and cleaning swabs. (never paper towels or q-tips)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Good to hear this was solved.
I asked my dealer about weekly maintenance on the 1304 and the tech said there was none and that he would set up a cleaning at about the 6th month mark.
I'm glad I didn't listen to him...

So, who is selling senior citizens at $9.99 a pair?
I could use a few.

wayne k
guam usa

randya

Good to hear this was solved.
I asked my dealer about weekly maintenance on the 1304 and the tech said there was none and that he would set up a cleaning at about the 6th month mark.
I'm glad I didn't listen to him...

So, who is selling senior citizens at $9.99 a pair?
I could use a few.

wayne k
guam usa

There are stickers right under the cover on newer machines showing the cleaning procedure.

If it is missing, you can print your own:
http://www.mutoh.com/kb/entry/43/