• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window perf printed

Stormy Conner

This would be my first time dealing with window perf. I printed a mostly black background with a logo in the center. Because I printed it and its going on the back window of a truck I laminated it. They put it on the window but now are complaining that you can
1716402892808.png
't see through it from inside the truck. So I don't know what happened, or what to say about it. Is there something specific I am supposed to do? Please help.

2B

IF and that is a big IF you laminate, you have to use optically clear lamination.
Even then there will be some reduction in visibility.

regardless, perf will NOT be as clear as only glass

NO LAMINATION

1716403369272.jpeg

Attachments

• 1716403459407.jpeg
    1716403459407.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 41

Stormy Conner

IF and that is a big IF you laminate, you have to use optically clear lamination.
Even then there will be some reduction in visibility.

regardless, perf will NOT be as clear as only glass

NO LAMINATION

View attachment 171700
Thanks for your help on this. I am going to reprint it and NOT laminate it. :)

Without lamination it will fade faster right?

MikePro

either:
the ink that was printed into the holes could have transferred onto the sheet lamination.
or
you sheet laminated with a matte overlam
or
you wet applied and the moisture is trapped in the holes

either way, if you sheet lam perf with intent to view through it, you should either sheet lam with optically clear & dry apply OR liquid laminate (as I do) with some ClearShield & a foam roller.
no lamination won't fail riiiight away, but it will much faster if it doesn't get scratched first.

gnubler

It was my understanding that if you don't laminate perf then dirt will collect and sit on the holes, especially if it's on a vehicle. I wrapped all the windows of my shop van with laminated perf 50/50 and it just looks like window tint from the inside and doesn't obscure visibility.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
1. What material (vinyl and laminate) did you use?
2. I wouldn't trust the average end user to install most decals properly, let alone a full rear windshield perforated decal. In the future I would make it clear (assuming you're actually using the right materials to begin with) that customer applied decals have absolutely no warranty and that if it looks like crap after they've slapped it on, that's on them.

2B

Perf is a short-term material and the material "SHOULD BE" be replaced before the inks fully fade.
We print with OEM ECO SOL and have seen 2-3 years of good color on perf, no lam

no lamination will require you to wash with more frequency and you will have ZERO visibility in the rain

unclebun

It will fade faster and when it rains they will be completely unable to see out the back window. Water fills the little holes and makes it like a frosted window. If they drive on dirt or gravel roads dust will fill the holes and block vision also.

If it's going on a vehicle it needs to be laminated with optically clear laminate. Period.

MikePro

crap you guys are right, forgot i've always sheet laminated for car windows for that very reason and griped about inability to wetapply.

Precision

We use a satin spray laminate in a spray can. Spray it on let it dry, takes seconds to dry. It's in the section that sells liquid laminate - forgot the name?

Precision

Here it is. It's called "Clear Jet fine art semi-gloss High Performance UV Protective Coating.

Attachments

• 20240523_094345.jpg
    20240523_094345.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 22