• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Vinyl, Sign Permits and Customers Service

DigiPrinter

Inform your customer of the law, sell and inform them of what they want.

Vinyl in the window is not a UL thing. It's a city thing. Not your problem.

City code is a bunch of old ladies forcing people to live in the 1950's.

Just sell your product.

Don't trash up the windows. You and your customer know best.

Not your problem.

I agree.....let your client know what the ordinance is. If they still want to move forward tell them you'd be happy to do that for them. Have them sign a simple waiver that you won't be responsible if the City comes by wanting them removed. I look at it this way, you gave facts and they decide what to do based on the facts.

Jillbeans

First off....rick, that sign is uglier than a hatfull of @ssholes.

As to the OP: I also adhere to the codes, even if nobody else does. You could take pix of the other places who have the exterior window lettering as examples and apply for a variance.

In my township, one is not permitted to have the light up/flashing arrow changeable copy signs that Sam's Club sells for under $300. There are at last count, 16 of them on the main highway here in the borders of my township. All completely illegal. Our zoning officer doesn't do jack sh!t about it. I'm a rat, and I do report stuff like this. Our old zoning officer was very strict. I like most rules.

We are also not allowed to have LED display signs. One place put up a $35K sign without a permit. They got a variance after they were fined (big shocker!) and the message can only change every minute. Now there are two more on the main road. Visual pollution at its best, as the client can choose what is flashing at us.
Love....Jill

paul luszcz

I've been reading this thread for a few days now and biting my tongue. But this is getting ridiculous. What are you guys, part time sign makers and full time State Supreme Court Justices?

Who the heck are you to determine which laws you're going to follow and which you feel priveleged to ignore?

Is it really too hard to run a legal business? Do you think a legal business is one that follows the laws it approves of and ignores the ones they don't like? Think that through for a minute. Run a legal business.

The only alternative is to run an illegal business. That's not only what many of you are doing it's what many of you are recommending to others. State and local laws carry lower penalties for failure to comply, but you are just as required to follow them as you are "national laws".

And paying people "cash under the table" is not only simple, it's a violation of "National Law".

Really, blast away at me, call me a wuss for running my business legally.

And run your business illegally if you want, but stop advising others to do so or making believe it's okay because you say so.

visual800

I've been reading this thread for a few days now and biting my tongue. But this is getting ridiculous. What are you guys, part time sign makers and full time State Supreme Court Justices?

And paying people "cash under the table" is not only simple, it's a violation of "National Law".

Ok so you need help in the shop. maybe a couple hours. Lets say you pay a guy $100, what steps would you take "legally" in paying that? I am also assuming you do not barter your products, because also that is against the law unless you do all paperwork. I also assume if a customer pays you in cash and wants no invoice, you still go thru the steps to count that as income?

once again i dont suggest anyone to do as I do, just making comments

paul luszcz

Yes, I am a total sap. I'm not a saint and I may find something I thought was legal isn't, but to answer your questions;

When I pay someone $100 it is counted as an expense whether I pay cash or check. If it hits the threshold of $600/year, that person gets a 1099. If it is ongoing and appropriate, that person will be added to payroll as an employee and paid through the payroll system. If someone wants money under the table, they work elsewhere.

When I barter, and I do, I give and take invoices. Again, its' no different than cash or checks. Business deductions are deductions and business income is income.

And finally, yes, if a customer pays me in cash (one did Monday for $5000) that is considered a payment and deposited accordingly.

It's no big deal if you do it all the time. Your business has to earn it's keep and that includes paying taxes due.

Paul

visual800

It's no big deal if you do it all the time. Your business has to earn it's keep and that includes paying taxes due.

Paul

my business does earn its keep but unfortunatley our Uncle is not holding up his end of the bargain. When he learns to use our money respectively I may possibly give him more. Right now I am saving for my own retirement because I fear when Im 60 something, my ss will not be there

mark in tx

There are a few people in business you really don't want to make angry:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Local Code Enforcement
State Department of Revenue
Internal Revenue Service
Department of Transportation
Landlords

Not in that particular order, but any one of them by itself or in combination will make you regret certain decisions.

If something needs a permit, either charge the customer for getting it, tell the customer how to get it themselves, or wait for the day when you find out you are officially wrong and your business license is up for grabs by an angry bureaucrat with the law on their side.

But in the meanwhile go ahead and puff out your chest and spout nonsense on the internet, it's entertaining.

visual800

There are a few people in business you really don't want to make angry:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Local Code Enforcement
State Department of Revenue
Internal Revenue Service
Department of Transportation
Landlords

Not in that particular order, but any one of them by itself or in combination will make you regret certain decisions.

If something needs a permit, either charge the customer for getting it, tell the customer how to get it themselves, or wait for the day when you find out you are officially wrong and your business license is up for grabs by an angry bureaucrat with the law on their side.

But in the meanwhile go ahead and puff out your chest and spout nonsense on the internet, it's entertaining.

where did the DOT and DMV and landlords come into this at?

mark in tx

DMV- ever had to get a license inspection done on a crane truck?
DOT- Some states require permits from DOT for an EMC next to a state highway.
Landlord- Ever had a landlord discover the difference between the Heavy Manufacturing (welding,metal fabrication) and regular "business" zoning after you signed a lease?

As the person owning a sign shop, sure, you can fly under the radar for quite a while if all you make is banners, car art, coro signs, etc... and you don't do installs.

But what about the day you decide that you can start putting up cans and pole signs? Or just putting up banners on the sides of buildings?

Takes just one idiot on a ladder touching a live wire or a sign face falling 20 feet and killing someone and you will have all kinds of people interested in your business.
So, maybe finding out all the laws, ordinances, and regulations relating to this industry might be a good idea, not to mention making sure your insurance covers everything you do.

visual800

DMV- ever had to get a license inspection done on a crane truck?
DOT- Some states require permits from DOT for an EMC next to a state highway.
Landlord- Ever had a landlord discover the difference between the Heavy Manufacturing (welding,metal fabrication) and regular "business" zoning after you signed a lease?

As the person owning a sign shop, sure, you can fly under the radar for quite a while if all you make is banners, car art, coro signs, etc... and you don't do installs.

But what about the day you decide that you can start putting up cans and pole signs? Or just putting up banners on the sides of buildings?

Takes just one idiot on a ladder touching a live wire or a sign face falling 20 feet and killing someone and you will have all kinds of people interested in your business.
So, maybe finding out all the laws, ordinances, and regulations relating to this industry might be a good idea, not to mention making sure your insurance covers everything you do.

gotcha, yep im fully covered and understand all, never have the truck inspections though