• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7 Rules . . .

3dsignco

Correct me if I'm Wrong here.. When your running a 32 bit app that has a 4 meg Ram base and you have Win7 64 And say 8megs of ram. I know the Program will not utilize all the ram But you still run Faster since Windows can use the first 4 megs freeing up the other 4 megs strictly for the app needing to utilize it.. Hope that makes sense and am I correct in this assessment.

SignBurst PCs

Correct me if I'm Wrong here.. When your running a 32 bit app that has a 4 meg Ram base and you have Win7 64 And say 8megs of ram. I know the Program will not utilize all the ram But you still run Faster since Windows can use the first 4 megs freeing up the other 4 megs strictly for the app needing to utilize it.. Hope that makes sense and am I correct in this assessment.

You have the general idea, but I bet that you mean 4GB not 4MB.

choucove

You know, I really have to agree with both of you on this in ways. It's just at that point in the 32-bit/64-bit transitional market that you really make valid points that are true both ways.

As an example, I went to our Wal-Mart and looked at every computer they had on the shelves, desktop and laptop. Now, our Wal-Mart store is pretty small, but they still have just over a dozen different computers. And if someone in this town (a podunk little place in northwest Kansas mind you) wanted to just go pickup a computer off the shelf, this is where they are going to do it!

Looking over all of the computers there, only two computers did not have the hardware to support a 64-bit OS...and those were an ACER netbook with Intel Atom processor and an HP netbook with Intel Atom processor. EVERYTHING else in the store was at least 64-bit capable. Now, of the dozen computers there, only two had 4 GB of memory, while all the rest had 3 GB or less. This means that the major benefit of 64-bit computation is really void on these systems. However, in a few cases I noticed that these computers with less than 4 GB of memory still came with Vista Home Premium x64.

Now, from the perspective of marketing, most people coming to pick up one of these computers off the shelf don't have a real clue between 32-bit and 64-bit, so if you are slick in wording "Now with 64-bit OS for future upgrades!" then people will jump for that. Why? Future proofing and the idea that it will make their computer faster. When in reality, there won't be any performance benefit or speed increase when their system still only has 3 GB (the most common amount) of RAM.

Now, looking at some fundamental rules of economy, a business who adapts to and utilizes the newest technology will be able to lower their estimated total overall expenses and of course, attract customers who are looking to keep up with the incredible fast-pace of technology. This means that the company adapting the best technology will edge out companies that don't from the market. Companies like Dell, HP, Acer and all the rest know this. Even if it's beyond pointless to update their computer lines constantly with a slightly faster refresh of a processor, or add options for a slightly faster graphics card for a mainstream desktop, they know that by offering the latest and greatest, they show they are adapting the best technology and will edge out the competition for it. It is also what pushes the technology and market to grow.

For the majority of home users, even a dual-core processor is often overkill and as Techman said, left sitting idle most of the time. But as technology advanced, the dual-core processor became "hot stuff" and a marketing scheme all in itself. As technology increases, the dual-core processor became much more widely available. Even though the greater public didn't really need the benefits of dual-core processors, they became common place in desktops and laptops, advertisements in an of themselves for the likes of major companies. The same can be said about quad-core processors, video cards, and all other hardware advancements really.

Getting back then to the 64-bit operating systems, when you look at what it costs to OEMs like Dell in difference between installing Vista Home Premium 32-bit and Vista Home Premium 64-bit the difference is negligible. So while the system may only have 3 GB (or even less) of RAM and may never even see a 64-bit program ever run on it, why NOT install the 64-bit operating system? In general it is still going to run all of your 32-bit applications (and this is getting more efficient and stable every day) and it already has a marketing hype in itself pushing its sales. If the average Joe then runs into some kind of compatibility issue with some old printer or an old card game not working on their new computer, the average user is going to get rid of it and update. This is also where many of the big OEM stores make their next move to get the customer to upgrade to THEIR products to keep up to date, heh.

Now, with businesses the story is somewhat different of course. Compatibilities with other equipment and software is a much bigger deal. This is the reason why they have technology people to do research on that and know about the differences between 32-bit and 64-bit computing and bring us right back to our debate core again. But really facing the facts here, its is not the businesses that drive the marketing points or standardized hardware for computers today, but the average consumer.

Buddy

I downloaded Win7 TWICE last nite. Each download took a tremendous long time. Both times when it came time to install.....I got an error message. Really sucked...I was hoping it would be easy download / install.

Buddy

I'd have to check again...but something to do with the downloaded file extension being .iso

Not a recognizable extension / file type.

trakers

I am D/L both versions of the RTM. They have both been squatted at 99% for hours, they won't seem to finish. I wonder if MS’s “download manager” is actually a covert P-P client and we are all downloading it from each other?

On the 32 vs 64 front I see lots of good commentary above.

As was posted above the average consumer is going to get force-fed 64 bit, like it or not. They have no clue, so it won't bother them and probably won't cause a huge problem for them as they surf the web and check E-mail and hey, 64 is bigger than 32 so it's got to be better, right?

Businesses in a position to profit more from selling a 64 bit system will continue to push it.

IMHO, most businesses will still be much better served running 32 bit at least for another year or two.

I ran into two programs just this week that don’t like 64 Bit Vista. Worst part is they *sort* of work. Once, I get the 64bit Win7 D/L I will try them on it and see if they fly or crash and burn.

Either way I find it very refreshing that businesses can now *finally* move on from XP to another OS and not have it be a cluster**** since no matter if you are a 32 bit fanboy or 64 bit fanboy I think we all agree Win 7 is friggin awesome.

SignBurst PCs

I'd have to check again...but something to do with the downloaded file extension being .iso

Not a recognizable extension / file type.

.iso is a disk image. You have to burn it to a DVD and then boot from that DVD. There are several freeware iso burners as well as apps such as Nero.

The kick is that in Windows 7, the iso burner is built into Windows.

3dsignco

Buddy, An Iso is a format that you need a Burning Program that will read it.. I use Nero and thats the native format for nero. You just can't burn the WIN7 ISo as is. You need the program that read it. Then just Double click it and it will open up in nero and click burn. Also you can use Alcohol 120 to burn it.

And Sunburst Yep I meant GiGs.. Was in Insomniac mode last night.

busypc

I just went to the Microsoft site. Indeed, the download is only available till August 20th. Both 64 bit and 32 bit available. Apparently it runs until June of 2010 and then you will be forced to purchase (computer will shut down)...Still, if you are techy enough to reload if you don't like it...try it. I think I will (on a computer that is not essential to my daily operation, of course).