• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7 Rules . . .

Replicator

Not only are there going to be several Windows 7 editions, but you will also need to decide if you are going to run a 32 bit or 64 bit version of the operating system. If your CPU is more than a few years old there is a good chance that you can only run the 32 bit version of Windows 7, however if you have a modern processor you may have to decide between each version.

The 32 or 64 bit architecture refers to the memory address length that can be referenced by the processor. This also has an impact on the maximum amount of memory that can be utilised, which is 4GB for a 32 bit CPU (but in reality the maximum accessible ram is closer to 3.4 GB due to other hardware allocations).

Having a 64 bit OS doesn’t automatically make all applications faster because much of today’s software is written and optimised for a 32 bit era. You’ll need software specifically optimised for 64 bit processing to take advantage of any speed improvements. Fortunately, many games are already including such enhancements.

You may think that using a 64 bit OS for a 64 bit processer is an obvious decision, but it is not so straightforward. Introducing a new architecture will cause new compatibility and driver problems that wouldn’t exist under the old 32 bit version.

Pros and Cons of a 64 bit system:

* You can address much more than 4GB of memory, which is ideal for avid gamers, CAD, video editors and heavy multi-taskers. However, any 32 bit software you use will still be restricted to 4GB memory – you need a 64 bit CPU, OS and applications to take full advantage of the extra RAM.
* 16 bit applications will no longer run. Although this is unlikely to be a problem, if you use very old software (from the Windows 3.1 days!) then it will not work under a 64 bit OS.
* Existing 32 bit drivers no longer work.If you have older or poorly supported hardware you may find that it can no longer be used. Got a 7 year old scanner that just about works in Vista? You may not be able to get it working in 64 bit Windows 7.
* Unsigned kernel-mode drivers no longer work. Along with the issue above, the inability to run unsigned kernel mode drivers will cause problems for old hardware. (There is reportedly a way to bypass this check).
* Running some 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS could actually be slower. The additional overheads in running 32 bit software in 64 bit mode could cause a slight degradation in performance. It will take some time for 64 bit software to become the norm.

The conclusion? Well, it depends on what you use your system for. If you have a 64 bit capable CPU but use older hardware, it would be safe to stay with a 32 bit version for the time being to ensure that you don’t need extra upgrades.

If you’ve got the latest hardware and drivers are available, then it may be worth while taking the step up to a 64 bit OS. If you regularly work with resource hungry applications that are 64 bit optimised (such as video editing, CAD and image packages) then it would be especially beneficial to be able to work with over 4GB of RAM amongst the other improvements.

In the not too distant future , 64 bit computing will be a common standard – as all hardware from the last couple of years has been designed with this in mind. Until a complete upgrade cycle has passed for the majority of users, there is still a strong case for some users to stick with 32 bit Windows for the time being. Once more 64 bit applications start to appear, it would be a good time to make the switch to the new architecture.

OldPaint

i forgot.................WIN 7 DOES NOT FIND CANON LIDE SCANNERS........
no drivers will be available for them. CANON web site has a discount available to OWNERS of said scanners, toward a new scanner that will work in WIN 7.
go to canon web site..........

javila

Can I use older programs on it without need to upgrade? PS7, Corel 8, Flexi 7.6
Signlab ES2. Quickbooks 2005. Office 95.......whatever.

Flexi 7.6 won't run on a 64 machine. =(. I got it running in a virtual machine, but not an actual machine. It will however run fine in a 32bit machine.

I got Quickbooks 07 running in both server/regular modes. Don't know about the others.

Just keep in mind that older PCs without "hardware virtualization" technology WILL NOT be able to run the XP MODE software.

It is a separate download and does not come with Windows 7, I posted links in post #16

XP mode depends on hardware virtualization, but there are other alternatives that do no such as virtualbox or vmware. If it's just an application and not an application/hardware combo that someone wants to use they'll be okay with any of those choices.

Look, I don't care if people run it or not. I'm just telling them they will most likely have issues in real life. In most businesses stability is the 100% number one concern. Running legacy applications is a reality in virtually all businesses and machines must run without issue while uncalled for compatibility issues are unacceptable.

People can run 32bit and be relatively certain they are good to go or switch to 64bit and take their chances.

Yes vista 64 was a huge cluster____, 64 bit windows howver is a much much smoother experience. I've been running 64 bit seven since the first beta release, and I'm now on the final version. Very little issues. Some hardware compatability, but you can be assured most vendors are working hard at 7 drivers, The code was only finalized 15 days ago. No hardware mfg wanted to start developing drivers before anything was finalized. I've already emailed a couple of random hardware vendors and they're working on 32 and 64 bit.

First for all you Vista haters, Windows 7 is nothing more then a cleaned up Vista with some added features. The 62 bit version will NOT execute any older 16 bit application where as the 32 bit version will.

This is Microsoft's way of releasing and new OS (Vista), listen to everyone bitch, piss and moan and then come out with the same thing cleaned up and a couple of additions.

Vista is actually based on seven code and not the other way around. Vista was rushed out the gates for marketshare in a very very horrible move.

Daemon Tools Emulator wont work.
Dameon tools has a working version out already, it's been out since april or so.

i forgot.................WIN 7 DOES NOT FIND CANON LIDE SCANNERS........
no drivers will be available for them. CANON web site has a discount available to OWNERS of said scanners, toward a new scanner that will work in WIN 7.
go to canon web site..........

That's pretty slimey of canon. =!

choucove

We are still at the point where some hardware and software is not designed for 64-bit operation. Most new higher-performance software and hardware will have drivers for 32-bit and 64-bit systems. Those businesses and products that for one reason or another are not making the transition to support 64-bit systems face inevitable extinction, and soon. The unquestionable fact is 64-bit computing is not just the inevitable future, but it is already here, just as the change came from 16-bit to 32-bit computing. The companies that will not adapt to the new technologies will be pushed from the market by those companies that do adapt to the new technology.

And that may be part of the plan all along...

SignBurst PCs

We are still at the point where some hardware and software is not designed for 64-bit operation. Most new higher-performance software and hardware will have drivers for 32-bit and 64-bit systems. Those businesses and products that for one reason or another are not making the transition to support 64-bit systems face inevitable extinction, and soon. The unquestionable fact is 64-bit computing is not just the inevitable future, but it is already here, just as the change came from 16-bit to 32-bit computing. The companies that will not adapt to the new technologies will be pushed from the market by those companies that do adapt to the new technology.

And that may be part of the plan all along...

This is without a doubt, true. 64 Bit EVERYTHING is just around the corner. Microsoft is starting to release their server-based software in 64 Bit versions only. Microsoft reps have told me that the desktop software is not far behind. Like it or not, 64 Bit is here to stay and 32 Bit will fall by the wayside sooner than later. We here at SignBurst™ live in a 64 bit world. There is not a single 32 Bit computer here and I have not found a reason to ever have one again. Accounting software, office productivity software, design software, servers, desktops, printers, scanners, and everything else is run on 64 bit operating systems and we are very happy with that situation.

I love the 64 Bit version of Windows 7. Frankly, I was really happy with the 64 Bit version of Vista too. The server counterpart to Vista/64 (Server 2008/64) is solid and reliable as well.

I would be willing to bet that the desktop OS after Windows 7 is 64 bit only. Backwards compatibility coming in the form of virtualization. It is only a matter of time. Who knows where we will be after the 3 year (or so) lifespan of Windows 7?

Techman

not making the transition to support 64-bit systems face inevitable extinction, and soon. The unquestionable fact is 64-bit computing is not just the inevitable future, but it is already here, just as the change came from 16-bit to 32-bit computing. The companies that will not adapt to the new technologies will be pushed from the market by those companies that do adapt to the new technology.

Sorry but to many others feel it will not be soon. Many feel that 64 bit is overrated in that a very large percentage of users do not need 64 bit systems. That means many will not pay extra to get those 64 bit systems.
Then the long term forecast for OS systems will be modular.. At least very near being modular.

finally

64 bit will not do anything until 64 bit driver support is up to parr, and more software titles take advantage of a 64-bit OS. Right now very few authors see a need or will pay extra for that which there is no profit.

cgsigns_jamie

One thing I like about Apple is for $130 you get everything. Don't have to choose from a "Home Edition" or a "Business Edition" or an "Ultimate Edition". Don't have to pick 32bit or 64bit. It's truly easier in the Mac world.

Techman

It's truly easier in the Mac world.

That's because the MAC world is all locked up. You cannot modify, tweak, change, engineer, or experiment with MAC OS. It cannot be written too or you cannot develop your own apps or anything like that. You have to follow MAC rules and regs. Nothing is changeable or customizable. ever,

cgsigns_jamie

You can easily download the developer kit from Apple for free and begin developing your own apps. It's also built on Unix so you can port over any unix/linux apps. Apple actually embraces Open Source technologies and makes it very easy for developers.

SignBurst PCs

One thing I like about Apple is for $130 you get everything. Don't have to choose from a "Home Edition" or a "Business Edition" or an "Ultimate Edition". Don't have to pick 32bit or 64bit. It's truly easier in the Mac world.

Apple gives you what they see best. Apple, in its infinite wisdom, has already moved to 64 bit (with Snow Leopard). They just don't really advertise the fact that you are getting whatever they deem best. It is what it is and that's what it is.

SignBurst PCs

Sorry but to many others feel it will not be soon. Many feel that 64 bit is overrated in that a very large percentage of users do not need 64 bit systems. That means many will not pay extra to get those 64 bit systems.
Then the long term forecast for OS systems will be modular.. At least very near being modular.

finally

64 bit will not do anything until 64 bit driver support is up to parr, and more software titles take advantage of a 64-bit OS. Right now very few authors see a need or will pay extra for that which there is no profit.

Techman, I guess it depends on what "soon" is. We didn't get much warning before SBS 2008 was released in 64 bit only. Major MS apps like SharePoint are going 64 bit only. Indication that the MS server world will be 64 bit only soon. The desktops won't be too far behind, as the desktop and server code is currently being written so similar (XP/Server 2003 and Vista/Server 2008).

In my opinion, need it or not, it is coming. Does the average user really "need" dual-core or quad-core processors? Did the average user "need" DDR, DDR2, or DDR3, when the previous standard would suffice? Probably not. But inevitably, OEMs have agendas and so do software manufacturers. They are going to move forward, even if everyone else has to play catch-up.

Heck, I am seeing more 64 bit desktop and notebook PCs than 32 Bit PC on the shelves. Motherboards are accepting more and more RAM than ever before. My current desktop motherboard will accept 16GB of RAM. My workstation board accepts up to 96GB of RAM. This wasn't the case 2 or 3 years ago. Again, my opinion, but things are moving right along.

There really isn't that much of a price difference between 32 and 64 bit. 64 bit can use less than 4GB too, so essentially, in theory, when 64 bit becomes common place, there is no need for 32 bit.

The 32 bit emulator is so good, that there is rarely a time when I can't install 32 bit software on a 64 bit machine and it usually runs faster than it would on a 32 bit system. Yes, there is a lack of true 64 bit software, but as the trend continues, software developers will take notice and conform. No one liked Vista when it was released and software developers were slow to rewrite, but it didn't take long before they were forced to do so. I would challenge you to find a non-Vista compatible software on the shelves. The benefits of Photoshop CS4 64 bit alone are staggering. I can't wait until all software is that way. The gaming developers may be the ones to force this move more than anyone else. They are already writing 64 bit version of their games. As games get better and better, resource requirements get higher and higher and manufacturers are forced to take notice.

As far as driver support goes, I have seen HUGE swings towards 64 Bit drivers. Mainstream, modern hardware almost certainly is making a move towards 64 bit drivers. The older stuff won't get rewritten in most cases, but the new hardware and peripherals are coming with 64 Bit drivers a majority of the time.

Techman

yes casey,,
its all working
But, the truth is that the 64 bit OS does not fully use the CPU. the cpu sense bit rate from the apps. It if finds a 32 bit app it switches the CPU to runs the processor at 32 bits.

If it finds a 64 bit then it switches to 64 bit.. So as a realist I wouldn't pay extra for 64 bit hardware when 97% of the software will not use 64 bit at all. Its all a fantasy.
The only reason it runs 32 bit faster is because of the thru put.

In fact. today most machines are not run at capacity. The cpu's are idle most of the time. So paying huge amounts of money for status is not fo rme.

The older stuff won't get rewritten in most cases, but the new hardware and peripherals are coming with 64 Bit drivers a majority of the time.

Cant argue that. In fact, I stopped following all the latest trends because I make bux knowing to fix and few bux knowing the latest technology. As far as drivers for vista.. lots of them were modified by ingenious users and that forced the OEms to get off their biutts.

SignBurst PCs

yes casey,,
its all working
But, the truth is that the 64 bit OS does not fully use the CPU. the cpu sense bit rate from the apps. It if finds a 32 bit app it switches the CPU to runs the processor at 32 bits.

If it finds a 64 bit then it switches to 64 bit.. So as a realist I wouldn't pay extra for 64 bit hardware when 97% of the software will not use 64 bit at all. Its all a fantasy.
The only reason it runs 32 bit faster is because of the thru put.

In fact. today most machines are not run at capacity. The cpu's are idle most of the time. So paying huge amounts of money for status is not fo rme.

I understand what you are saying. As a tech-savy individual, you understand what you just said and it makes sense to you. You get to choose what hardware you buy and have a good idea what it is all about. The other 99.99% of the world has no idea what you just said and doesn't care. They are going to buy what is on the shelf. They are going to purchase what the OEMs have decided is best to put on the shelves at Best Buy. All they care about is, "does it work?". They don't know what in the world they are paying for.

I look at it like a HD television. My father (in his 60s) questions my choice to spend a little extra $$$ to buy a 1080p television. His TV suits him just fine. He is perfectly happy with his standard cable and is just happy that it is broadcast in color. He recently started looking to purchase a new TV. The vast majority of what he is finding are HD capable TVs. In my estimation, all TVs will be capable of playing a "superior" high-definition signal before too long. They will all be capable of performing at a much higher level than previous "standard" TVs. BUT, they will be (and are) capable of displaying the older "standard" signal as well. We pay a little more for the ability to display the HD content, even if we don't use it. Why? Because that is what is on the shelves. TV manufacturers are going to move on and let us play catch up, like it or not.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
So as a realist I wouldn't pay extra for 64 bit hardware when 97% of the software will not use 64 bit at all.

97% of computer buyers are not realists, they see 64 and 32, and will choose 64 cuz it's bigger....

you could have said the same thing about 32 back when everything was 16