• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7 Rules . . .

trik

So you're saying Vista 64bit sucks? I agree any version of Vista has had issues. But of the 175 technicians in my old company testing Win7 64 bit says it is a dream come true. They have no real issues except with some very old legacy(10 years or older) apps internal to the company, nothing the general public would use. But it is running all apps most GD's use flawlessly, CS2, CS3, and CS4, Corel X3 and even an old version of Paint Shop Pro.

I used to mange most of these guys/gals is application development, testing, and distribution, so I would tend to trust their judgment very well. But just my opinion :)

Have a great Sunday all!

Techman

running 64 bit does not mean you will get the full usage of that 64 bit data access.
Most programs even if they can run in a 64 bit OS cannot use the 64 bit data stream.

Its like buying a 500 horsepower engine to run a go cart. There's no place to run it.

Replicator

Just keep in mind that older PCs without "hardware virtualization" technology WILL NOT be able to run the XP MODE software.

It is a separate download and does not come with Windows 7, I posted links in post #16

trakers

Look, I don't care if people run it or not. I'm just telling them they will most likely have issues in real life. In most businesses stability is the 100% number one concern. Running legacy applications is a reality in virtually all businesses and machines must run without issue while uncalled for compatibility issues are unacceptable.

People can run 32bit and be relatively certain they are good to go or switch to 64bit and take their chances.

So you're saying Vista 64bit sucks? I agree any version of Vista has had issues. {snip} <SNIP>

Replicator

My understanding is that the 64bit OS is completely backwards compatible . . .

Meaning that any and all 32bit applications should run just fine when told to run in that mode . . .

Tony Teveris

First for all you Vista haters, Windows 7 is nothing more then a cleaned up Vista with some added features. The 62 bit version will NOT execute any older 16 bit application where as the 32 bit version will.

This is Microsoft's way of releasing and new OS (Vista), listen to everyone bitch, piss and moan and then come out with the same thing cleaned up and a couple of additions.

3dsignco

Well I have Loaded the 64bit Version.. Not to bad so Far.. I never used Vista so I cant Compare.. Had no problem Installing and getting Drivers For any of my Boards or Cards.. Except an Old Creative Live Value Card.. Which isnt the end of the world as I just used the Onboard Audio with Hidef drivers.

New Icons and Control panel will drive me nuts till I get use to them.. I can't seem to find a Classic mode to set up eveything to what I am use to. (Win 2000 setup.)

This machine is an Older machine that I use for Gaming and General screwing around so I am not to worried if there is issues.. Its just a Test.. I will be Loading my Signlab 7 to see how it reacts.. Photoshop and Artcam

Specs of Machine
MSI P965 Platinum MB
2.4 Duo Core
4 gigs DDR2
Nvida 9600
2 150 Gig Raptors and 1 seagate 500 gig Storage

Will keep everyone informed.. Going to Load CS 3 and snag a Demo of the cs4 and do a side by side test to see if there is any real difference.

OldPaint

Oldpaint, I'm shocked.. that you are working with new technology. I always thought that you needed to be dragged into the 21 st century.
First it was getting a new printer... now you load the latest version of Windows... I'm impressed.
OEY VEY...........your schocked???? SON(in a foghorn leghorn voice)you have no idea of what my mental capacity is!!!!!!!!!
i have built many computer, and in my neck of the woods, iam the guy most i know call.....when computer dont compute))))))))
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG IIIIIIILAND HUH?
i was adopted by a jewish family from there. HELEN AND LENNY ROTHMAN.
when they lived in sarasota. nice people.
CAS-MATE will not run in WIN 7. i went into dos editor, removed hasp info, then tryed to run casmate, got error message that it is not a 32 bit program...........
so that, it may run some 16 bit programs...........

Last edited:

choucove

While Windows 7 is based off the same code as Windows Vista, yes, it has had a great amount of overhauling, especially in how processes and libraries are handled and how information is sent to hardware more efficiently to make the overall system not only more stable than Vista was, but much more resource efficient.

Just to say that Windows 7 is the same thing as Windows Vista because it's based on the same code is not really true. It is like saying that Mac OSX is the exact same thing as linux because it has a UNIX kernel. Yes, the UNIX kernel is there but the entire system was rebuilt and modified to make it the Mac OSX that separates it from other UNIX systems.

One of the biggest downfalls that Windows Vista suffered was from a lack of driver support initially (although several years later, many mainstream systems from the likes of Dell, HP, and similar have a lack of XP driver support!). This will not be near as big of an issue with Windows 7 BECAUSE it has similar core as Windows Vista meaning what works in Vista will almost undoubtedly work in 7. Additionally, an astonishing amount of legacy and even brand new hardware is recognized with default drivers in Windows. While in XP (or even Vista) I had to find and install separate drivers for just about everything on my computer system except for the keyboard and mouse. In Win7 not only was ALL of the base computer hardware recognized fine by Windows 7 installation, but it had drivers to install all the functions for all the hardware even including my Samsung SyncMaster monitor.

trakers

I just bought a 10" MSI U-100 Netbook with 160GB HD, 2GB of RAM and XP and can't wait to drop Win7 on it when my discs arrive in Oct.

Didn't really need it but, for less than $240 shipped I couldn't pass it up and it is handy as hell.

choucove

I have not tested the RTM, all I have is the RC. Did they still include the larger selection of desktops, sound schemes, and window themes in the RTM version? It's not really that important as most people still customize their settings with their own images, but I thought it was interesting that microsoft was aiming for a little more style and customization.