• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7 Rules . . .

Replicator

I got a chance to preview the RTM release of Windows 7 and it is smokin' cool !

It has to be the most stable, smooth running version of windows I have ever seen.

I have tried running most of my software on a pre-release version of W7 and they all worked perfectly.

Now from what I've seen of this final release . . . Windows 7 is DaBomb !

Steve C.

Can I use older programs on it without need to upgrade? PS7, Corel 8, Flexi 7.6
Signlab ES2. Quickbooks 2005. Office 95.......whatever.

OldPaint

the only problem i had with it, was it wouldnt find a driver for my LPT-2 PCI slot card. this is the one i run my ROLAND to..........as i cut from COREL X3. after a couple weeks i went to the WIN 7 UPDATE site, and updated the RC version i have, and it found and loaded a driver for the LPT-2 CARD. now i cut form corel to ROLNAD, IN WIN 7.
it is one of the most stable windows versions ive ever seen. this is the 3rd RELOAD of it i have done on this 80 gig h/d. 1st 2 times it kept given me some error message about windows explorer didnt load correctly. was anoying, kept pop in up on the screen.
i did a fdisk/format and reloaded it, 3 time was a charm.
i gota old cracked version of CAS-MATE.........iam gona try it.

Replicator

Diggin' the new taskbar . . . the transparent show desktop feature at the far right of taskbar.

I really like the aero-shake and aero-peek features too . . . !

iSign

OP, with CasMate being an 8 bit program, I wouldn't be too optimistic... but good luck!

choucove

I've got to agree with everyone here, Windows 7 for me has been wonderful. Many of the things in Vista that made it uncomfortable have been built much better or fixed all together. My whole system runs very smooth and I've never had any problems with crashing with Windows itself, although I have had one finicky software that crashes occasionally. In fact, the OS runs more efficiently than Vista with less RAM needed and less hard drive space making it overall a much more lean beast.

Microsoft is marketing and planning for a big comeback with this release, and I think they have just that.

By the way, I've heard of pricing information for retail licenses of Windows 7, but does anyone have ideas on the OEM pricing? The retail pricing for Windows 7 should be similar to the retail pricing of the same tier of Windows Vista, so I should imagine OEM pricing would be the same as the same tier OEM license such as through Newegg.com

Techman

By the way, I've heard of pricing information for retail licenses of Windows 7, but does anyone have ideas on the OEM pricing? The retail pricing for Windows 7 should be similar to the retail pricing of the same tier of Windows Vista, so I should imagine OEM pricing would be the same as the same tier OEM license such as through Newegg.com

be very carefull about speculating on prices...

Drip Dry

the only problem i had with it, was it wouldnt find a driver for my LPT-2 PCI slot card. this is the one i run my ROLAND to..........as i cut from COREL X3. after a couple weeks i went to the WIN 7 UPDATE site, and updated the RC version i have, and it found and loaded a driver for the LPT-2 CARD. now i cut form corel to ROLNAD, IN WIN 7.
it is one of the most stable windows versions ive ever seen. this is the 3rd RELOAD of it i have done on this 80 gig h/d. 1st 2 times it kept given me some error message about windows explorer didnt load correctly. was anoying, kept pop in up on the screen.
i did a fdisk/format and reloaded it, 3 time was a charm.
i gota old cracked version of CAS-MATE.........iam gona try it.

Oldpaint, I'm shocked.. that you are working with new technology. I always thought that you needed to be dragged into the 21 st century.
First it was getting a new printer... now you load the latest version of Windows... I'm impressed.

trakers

I downloaded the thing the first day it went public beta and WOW.
It is fantastically stable and I have the latest version running on a couple of our production machines with zero problems.

Whereas WinXP used to hold the title for the best Windows OS ever and, of course, Vista for the worst, easily beating the old whipping boy WinMe, Win7 will (already has) taken over as the best OS ever to come out of Redmond.

If you spring for Win7 Pro you will also get XP mode, which has fully licensed version of XP included and can run all your older software that will now run on XP in that mode. What a fantastic idea that lets them move on yet maintain compatibility with older software.

Retail pricing will be:
Home Premium (Upgrade) - $119.99
Professional (Upgrade) - $199.99
Ultimate (Upgrade) - $219.99

Home Premium (Full) - $199.99
Professional (Full) - $299.99
Ultimate (Full) - $319.99

Expect OEM pricing to be a bit lower than upgrade pricing.

Be advised Microsoft is *finally* offering a 3 computer Family Pack (3 licensees). It will be priced at $149.99. This is huge. :rock-n-roll::rock-n-roll:

As long as you stay away from the 64 bit version I believe you will find this to be the best OS experience you have ever had on a Windoze machine.

1leonchen

testing it right now. thing runs smooth as silk. running a dual core processor 2 gigs of ram 100 gg hard drive for main os and 320gb strach disk. all i can say is WOW!!!!

choucove

I am really glad that Microsoft decided to include the XP Mode with Win7, as that is one of the biggest reasons for companies to not upgrade is compatibility outside of Windows XP. However, it's not perfect and doesn't work EXACTLY as if you had a standard copy of XP Pro installed on your system.

While working with testing Flexi 8.0 in Windows 7, I attempted to load it into XP Mode to see if it would also work there. While the program installed without problem, it would never recognize the hardware key within the virtual machine, and the option is not presented to pass the device into XP Mode. Other than that, though, I really didn't have much problem with it.

Microsoft stood up and took notice of the things that needed fixed with Vista and came out the right way with this new OS. I am running two SSD drives in RAID 0 on my system and I was shocked at how many integrated features Windows took care of specifically for SSD drives, such as disabling disk defrag on the SSD drive. And as I have 8 GB of RAM I have been using the 64-bit edition without any problems, no blue screens, and even was able to try overclocking for the first time just so I could see what I was doing. All ran more smoothly than I ever imagined.

Replicator

If you spring for Win7 Pro you will also get XP mode, which has fully licensed version of XP included and can run all your older software that will now run on XP in that mode. What a fantastic idea that lets them move on yet maintain compatibility with older software.

XP Mode consists of the Virtual PC-based virtual environment and a fully licensed copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3). It will be made available, for free, to users of Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate editions via a download from the Microsoft web site. (That is, it will not be included in the box with Windows 7, but is considered an out-of-band update, like Windows Live Essentials.) XPM works much like today's Virtual PC products, but with one important exception: As with the enterprise-based MED-V (Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization) product, XPM does not require you to run the virtual environment as a separate Windows desktop. Instead, as you install applications inside the virtual XP environment, they are published to the host (Windows 7) OS as well. (With shortcuts placed in the Start Menu.) That way, users can run Windows XP-based applications (like IE 6) alongside Windows 7 applications under a single desktop.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

NOTE : You must have a PC new enough that it has Virtual Initialization in the BIOS to run Virtual PC and XP Mode . . . You can check with this tool . . . http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/configure-bios.aspx

Last edited:

3dsignco

As long as you stay away from the 64 bit version I believe you will find this to be the best OS experience you have ever had on a Windoze machine.

Why Whats up with the 64 Bit version. Was just going to go get that version to utilize PS CS4

Replicator

I am also curious why you've stated this ?

I have not heard any negative feedback about the 64bit OS . . . !

cgsigns_jamie

I'm running Windows 7 x64 via VM Ware Fusion on my MacPro and I don't have any issues. It runs Flexi 8.6, QuickBooks 2008, MS Office 2003 and the occasional Corel X4 just fine.

trakers

If you buy a new machine and run brand new software and brand new hardware you might be OK using 64bit.

If you are like 95% of everyone else 64bit (Vista anyway) will cause you grief. Everything from programs refusing to run, to just some functions being hosed, to peripherals not working due to a lack of drivers is the primary issue.

You will hear arguments on both sides. Some will say 64bit is the bees-knees and others who have had to deal with it on hundreds of customer machines in the real world will tell you the truth.

One key is I have no vested or financial interest in whether anyone buys it or not, but I do feel obligated to warn those who might not be so in tune with the current OS climate that is causing some major problems in the field. Frustratingly, in many places it is being used as a sales tool since gee, 64 has to be better than 32, it’s a bigger number right?

What really sucks is companies like Dell are pushing >4Gb of RAM on people so they can soak them for the extra cost but fail to explain to them that automatically means they will get the 64bit version of Vista.

If you search Google for “64 bit Vista problem” you will get close to 44 million results.