• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

windows xp update

gabagoo

My computer has been trying to get me to download new updates so finally I gave in and proceeded. Before it would install them it suggested that I back up my system. I was alarmed by a message like that and wondered just what on earth was it going to try and load. What does it mean by me backing up my system? Is this a windows general process that I can do or is it refering to actually backing up everything I have. Needless to say I aborted the installation but I have a feeling it will continue to nag me daily to install the updates. Any suggestions here on what windows is asking and if it is necessary at all to update? This is on my laptop BTW and is not used to run any of our software or printers.

iSign

I understand your concern & I also avoid or delay updates...

...but the resistance to doing a backup tells me you probably need to do one.
Yes, backing up should mean making another copy of everything on your laptop that you would be unhappy to lose. Why wouldn't you do this? If not a windows update, there are still enough ways a catastrophic data loss could occur, that this could be your inspiration to go buy an external drive & proceed to back up that entire hard drive.

You should also be able to go into windows security & turn off "auto updates"

Ken

You can also specify which of the updates you want to implement.
In the update function you tell it to notify you of available updates, you choose which ones. Ken

Mason

Oh, I did this update this morning.... needless to say.. Crash.. blue screen of death... your computer has recovered from a serious error.... blue screen of death..... crash....

working now but WTF!! Microsoft!!

SignBurst PCs

contact your local IT techy.

I agree, if you are not sure about an update, or not comfortable making a backup, you need to seek the advice of an "IT" person of some sort.

Before any big update, it is prudent to ensure you have a recent backup, just in case the update causes your computer to implode.

Backups are good for all kinds of reasons, not just updates. It is better to be safe than sorry.

cOrKinSA

It's because your update is for the Service Pack 3.
It told me that on both PC's and when your Linsys Router is your only "IT" Department, it really makes it hard to know what to do.
Yes I know I should backup over a weekly bases but with over 2TB's of Data on my PC, Microsoft wants me to back it all up as easily as that!!! HA!

I think it is easier to just buy a new hardrive and install an updated version then burn some CD's and a weekend!!!

OldPaint

ITS SIMPLE....DONT LOAD SERVICE PACK 3....my laptop keeps tryin to, but i CANCEL IT!!!!!!
go to M/S and find out what SERVICE PACK 3 DOES to make youre computer run better)))))) IT DONT!!!!

gabagoo

I do back ups of my desktop computers but this laptop I generally only use for internet forums and the odd email. I also have signlab 8 in it for learning purposes. Maybe I am wrong in thinking this but even if you back up everything and some catastrophic thing happens because of this update, then even if I have the data, none of the programs will run unless they are reinstalled. Just what the heck is in this new update that makes problems and if there are problems then why update at all.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm running XP Pro SP3 and the only thing quirky on my machine is that Firefox occasionally crashes for no reason ...
bill_gates.gif
which I'm sure must make BG chuckle.

Last edited:

SignBurst PCs

Maybe I am wrong in thinking this but even if you back up everything and some catastrophic thing happens because of this update, then even if I have the data, none of the programs will run unless they are reinstalled. Just what the heck is in this new update that makes problems and if there are problems then why update at all.

There are "image" based backups that will backup everything, even your installed software. If something horrible happens, just restore from your back and everything is as it was when you backed it up. Pretty easy.

Vista Ultimate is great this way, because the imaged based backup is built in. But for those with XP (or other versions of Vista), then something like Symantec Ghost might do the trick. It has been a while since I have worked with Ghost because we have been a Vista shop for a while, but the last time I used it, it worked great.

You don't have to do an imaged based backup to backup installed software (there are other types that do this too), but it does work well.

For me, the idea of updating, even when everything seems to be working OK, is security. MS puts out a lot of security updates that patch "holes" that can be exploited. Everytime someone finds a hole, they patch it. It is an ongoing process and if you don't keep your system updated, you run the risk of your system being compromised.

GB2

Old Member
I've been told that the Service Pack 3 update is so large that it will typically fail on the first attempt to download and install it but on the 2nd attempt it will complete normally. I've installed it on a computer that even has a compromised hard drive and it is working fine.

Techman

SP3 will remove some functions.. As usual with all MS stuff
One is it removes your search bar in explorer...

w2csa

I've downloaded SP3 on both my main computer and Lap Top with no issues.
I now do backups with a online service ever day, off site.

trakers

Concerning SP3, you'll not want to install that lest you most likely will have issues and crashes which is really unfortunate since XP with SP2 is rock solid.

jiarby

I have been using an old version of ghost for disk images.
We have 2 primary drives & a separate sandbox drive:
Drive 1: 2 partitions for (1)System & (2)Backup (c: d:)
Drive 2: 2 partitions for (1)Data & (1)Misc. (g: h:)

We back up data partition (drive2) daily to a ghost image stored on the backup partition (drive1). We copy that image file(s) to USB drive and take home.
We ghost Disk1 (system & backup) weekly to a removable drive and store at home.

Worst case recovery scenario: is a week old c: drive and a day or two old data drive.

Almost worst case scenario is:
build a completely new box... windows, apps, etc.. then restore data drive. Old image likely no good on different hardware because of mobo & video driver issues (and the windows activation mess)

I think we can recover from any PC problem within 90mins. I keep a spare HDD, kbd, mouse, power supply, video card, cooling fans, 5 port switch, dsl modem, and 802.11 router on the shelf. We also keep an old desktop PC on the shelf in case of an über-emergency It's maybe $400 worth of parts but a priceless when the BSOD hits and you have a customer coming in 90 mins.

I was an IT weenie almost 20 years and have been through many disaster recover drills and emergencies. Twice a year my boss would come up to me and tap me on the shoulder and wisper in my ear "Ka-Boom! A plane just crashed into your Chandler Data Center"... He then clicked a stopwatch and the disaster recover drill was started. From that moment peopel would follow around with clipboards documenting what we did, or didn't do. Later we were graded on how well we followed the recovery plan... how long the recovery took... etc.. Then we used the testing data to update & modify the plan to account for things that were missing or un-needed.

It is not enough to just make a backup. You have to have a recovery plan. How will you use your backup? Is your backup good? (not a guarantee!). What are your various recovery scenarios if:
1. HDD fails
2. MOBO fails
3. Network fails
4. Printer fails
5. Electricity fails
6. Building damaged beyond use (flood, fire, whatever)

Backing up your computer is fine, but do you have a plan for backing up your business?
You need vendor lists, customer lists, tax & financial data, actual PC data files (art, accounting), insurance contacts.

I know this is a little off topic (windows update) so I apologize...
The OP struck me as a guy that is not even taking care of the most basic step of business continuity.... a simple data backup.

What does it mean by me backing up my system?

It is not a matter of IF... but WHEN you will have a disaster of some kind... HDD failure, PC failure, Theft, Fire, Flood. A disaster only becomes disasterous if you cannot recover from it.

Without a recovery plan you are really walking a tightrope with no net.