• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Wondering how many have done..............................

DerbyCitySignGuy

I used to work for a company that printed all the trusses for a lot of the major foot races around the country. The dudes who installed the trusses came and picked up one for a pretty major foot race (I won't say which one), but several hours after they left I was walking through the production area and saw a stack of panels for the truss. :eek:

T_K

I worked part time at a radio station operating the sound board during a live talk show. I would drink coffee while doing so... you do know what eventually happens when you drink coffee out of those unstable short styrofoam cups right? Luckily I didn't fry anything... I don't work there anymore.
Is that how you got into the sign business? ;)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Haha........ here's another one.

Again, many years ago, two of us were out painting a whole buncha tractors and some lowboys. We started around 6 in the morning. Around lunch we stopped for a bite to eat and the other guy and I started talking and comparing how much we got done so far. We hadda move step ladders around and all kindsa stuff. I think I had two tractors and two lowboys done by lunch and he was a little behind me, with one tractor and one lowboy. He said, you're really moving along. Yep.... with a big grin. So we finished eating and we replenished our paint and other supplies. I said, hey, you're not using the right stuff. He said, yes I am. No, that's the oil for laying your brushing in when done. He said, no it's not, that's the penetrol. Here I was using oil as a reducer/thinner and that's how I was getting so much speed. I'll bet those trucks didn't dry for a year...... and I wasn't about to go back and wipe all that sh!t off and start over. We worked basically on piece-rate on this job. A few years later, I started my own business and they came along with me, so I guess it never bothered them.........:doh:

Andy_warp

I had a coworker who bought a little sportbike and fixed it up.

He had some custom stickers for the tanks made up.
He pulled up to work and I asked him "Susucky, huh?!"

They spelled Suzuki with an S!!!

He put umpteen layers of clear coat over it! hahaha!

billsines

Doubled up the word "the" in a layout once. "The The Golden State" or something like that. Made 288 of them before I realized...

rmaclucy

4' x 20' lighted cabinet on top of roof. It read JEWELERY. I received the paint mask and applied it. The painter painted it. The installers installed it all the way up on the roof.
The owner called 10 minutes after the boys left and said "Hey, you misspelled my sign"!
Luckily, it was the boss who designed it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A customer called me yesterday about removing the vinyl from his vehicle. Due to health reasons he must dissolve his business. He said, I remember you telling me that to remove this vinyl stuff to use a 6 pak of beer and a tweezers and a hair dryer. Yep, that's right. So, what do you do first ?? Well, crack open a beer, put some heat on the vinyl and start picking at the corner of the vinyl. The further you go, the more beers you'll go through. So, how do you put the beer on ?? Gingerly or just dump it ??

...................................................................... :banghead:

The beer is for you to drink, not put on the vehicle. He said. Ooohhhhhhhh..................

I've been using that lines for 25 years and that's the first time anyone took me literally.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hahahaaa.............. this e-mail just came in.

About a month ago, a customer had ordered a whole bunch of logo sheets to put on signs, equipment and other things. I asked what sizes and how many of the various sizes. He said he'll hafta get back to me. A week went by and I e-mailed him reminding him of his order. He said his filed guy didn't get back to him yet. Okay, let me know. I e-mailed him again about 10 days later with the same response..... he doesn't have any answers.

Just got.....​

Gene I never got sizes
But I have photos of the areas i would like to have logos

However, he forgot to send the photos and I still have no idea of sizes or how many.:doh:

bannertime

About a month ago, a customer had ordered a whole bunch of logo sheets to put on signs, equipment and other things. I asked what sizes and how many of the various sizes. He said he'll hafta get back to me. A week went by and I e-mailed him reminding him of his order. He said his filed guy didn't get back to him yet. Okay, let me know. I e-mailed him again about 10 days later with the same response..... he doesn't have any answers.

Just got.....​

Gene I never got sizes

However, he forgot to send the photos and I still have no idea of sizes or how many.:doh:

That's when we offer the turn-key solution for the no hassle price of $$$$.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy

Just got.....​

Gene I never got sizes

Just got this email on Monday:

This is Ryann **** I got your information from lark trailer in Mc Gregor TEXAS.I spoke with **** can you please email me or call me For the price on putting a logo for the trailer.

Thanks Ryann

I have no clue who the guy is, or what size decal he needs, or what he is even talking about.
Some customers make me :doh:

Just got this email on Monday:

This is Ryann **** I got your information from lark trailer in Mc Gregor TEXAS.I spoke with **** can you please email me or call me For the price on putting a logo for the trailer.

Thanks Ryann

I have no clue who the guy is, or what size decal he needs, or what he is even talking about.
Some customers make me :doh:
Well then call him and find out...that's not an unusual request for customer to make. They might not have a specific size logo they need and they want to talk to an expert about it. The average customer knows little to nothing about how this stuff works

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
Well then call him and find out...that's not an unusual request for customer to make. They might not have a specific size logo they need and they want to talk to an expert about it. The average customer knows little to nothing about how this stuff works

You think I didn't? I just find some things a little humorous...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm so used to using foam rollers, that it's just habit nowadays. Got two short nappy rollers for a special job we're doing and scared up the panels, tacked them off and rolled the paint on all 3. Got beautiful coverage with these little nappy headed rollers, but when I moved to the side, in a different light, saw that the first and second panels will need a haircut. I totally forgot to get the excess hair outta the roller before beginning the paint procedure. It won't matter much, but it's just an added step for this morning. :doh:

brycesteiner

Not sign related but I still have one that I can actually remember:
I bought my first computer back as a freshman in high school. I saved up the money and my parents let me use their credit card and then paid them back. I got it from Sears and it was like the greatest thing ever...
I go home and get it set up and it was a 386SX 16mhz made by Cumulus (I wanted a Packard Bell but I just couldn't get the specs at the right price). Fantastic and I loved every minute of it. Well, back then unless you got a Mac sound wasn't built in to a computer, or at least nothing more than beeps. I bought a ProAudio Spectrum 16 sound card and it was amazing. The box was beautiful and so was the packaging. It was only about $300 or so. I made sure when I bought the PC that it had 16bit ISA slots so I could get the best and not the 8-bit Soundblaster. I needed this for my games like Monkey Island or Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
Anyhow, I found an empty slot in the mobo and remove the case screw that held the small over on. This was before towers were really sold, but I had the desktop on it's side, like towers would become. I plugged in the sound card horizontally in the slot and noticed that I couldn't find the screw for holding in the card. "oh well," I thought, "there is enough friction holding it in." And it did just fine.
Well, a few days later I found the screw and I decided to pause playing a game at the time to screw it back in. I start to screw it in and suddenly the board pops out... Sparks flew and my stomach just about turned over. Why didn't I shut it off? Bootup for DOS was only a few seconds anyway but the games took longer to load.
Needless to say the motherboard was fried. It wouldn't do anything.
I learned a good lesson that day: If working on computers be sure to shut them down first!