• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Work Shops

copythat

Newbie Here! Just got into the sign business this past Jan. Purchased a Mutoh printer & a 30" graphtec cutter. Myself & employees need some serious and I mean SERIOUS training. We are located in Bronx, NY. I would like to send them to get training. If anyone in this forum that can help with either directing us to workshops or if you can provide assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BROWNDOG

check with your venders most offer classes and seminars on everything from software to how tos, you can also get business consultants that are geared specifically to sign business, do a search here and you'll find the answere to all and any questions have probabbly already been covered

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA..................

At least you're honest. Training in what ?? :help:

high impact

Well, kind of a little backwards BUT I can relate because I bought my first sign business 6 years ago with no experience. The old timer former owner stayed on part time and my apprenticeship began!

I recommend you hire an old part timer like I did and you will definitely learn - the good, the bad and the ugly! LOL

Be ready for a MAJOR learning curve for yourself.

Vinylman

copythat:

You say you just got into this profession in January?
And you already have employees?:U Rock:

And you want to send "them" for training?

Help us out here, how did you "get into this profession" in January, and you already have employees?

What is the thrust of your business?

Where do you want to be in 1-5-10 years?

Do you have a business plan?

What is your background?

What are your specialties?

What type of marketing program do you have in place to grow your' business?

These questions need answered BEFORE you can get direction towards training.

I also might add that "YOU" need to be taking the lead in getting training, because if any or all of your "trained" employees leave you to start another competing company you will have a LARGE void in your operations.
By you being properly trained, it also helps you to be able to assist your employees with the direction and flow of your company. Might also prevent the "employees" from giving you a snow job regarding what they may or may not be doing to increase your profitability.

Just a few thoughts for you to consider.:thumb:

Regards, Bob C.

weaselboogie

Most employers usually train their employees themselves. You wouldn't have gotten into this profession without basic signmaking knowledge ...... right?

copythat

Welcome from PA..................

At least you're honest. Training in what ?? :help:
Cutter was an extra $45 a month on lease, so no brainer to add to our services. Problem is figuring out how to apply vinyl to windows, corrugated plastic etc. Yes we could watch video training, but nothing beats hands on work! Also pricing we have no clue, could use help there also

jiarby

google up some youtube videos about a "Big Squeegee" for applying vinyl to substrates.

Does your business do something else besides signs?? Seems odd to out of the blue buy a bunch of equipment that you know nothing about and also have employees

If this were a food forum you are telling us that you just bought a big skillet and a spoon, hired a bunch of employees, and now you need help learning how to cook something... but it's OK because you also got a blender, for only $4.95/mo extra on your lease.

could be a troll??

copythat

Workshop

You say you just got into this profession in January?
Correct. Been in the print business 31 yrs. Frustrated w/outsourcing banners. Purchase a Mutoh & added a Graphtec for an extra $45 a month no brainer there. First order for vinly lettering work came in last week. Customer asked how much for 39 18x24 corrug; plastic signs w/grommets I said $35 ea. he ordered them "Gulp" week later 52 18x24 and 38 out of 39 were uneven or crooked, but 1 was real str8 : ). Guess I price that too low, cause he didn't complain.
And you already have employees?:U Rock:

And you want to send "them" for training? YES PLEASE!

What is the thrust of your business? Outside sales & direct mailers every month for last 5 yrs.

Where do you want to be in 1-5-10 years? FLATBED. in nect two years.

Do you have a business plan? Yes. Open door & work. Ok No I don't

What is your background? Printing

What are your specialties? All Digital location

I also might add that "YOU" need to be taking the lead in getting training, because if any or all of your "trained" employees leave you to start another competing company you will have a LARGE void in your operations. Agreed. Feel safe one of them is my nephew the other was co-worker B4 9-11. Not too worried bout him either. But still agree with you.

Just a few thoughts for you to consider.:thumb: Thanks Buddy

Regards, Bob C.[/quote]

TonyHoles

You sound like you have grabbed the bull by the horns! Good luck. The internet is a wealth of knowledge if you search for the right stuff. Everyone around here is very helpful as long as you have done some leg work yourself.

This place gets lots of one posters coming in and wanting answers the easy way without having to do anything.

You sound like you have a good base, so all can say is do lots of reading (searching this site and others).

Videos are going to be helpful for the basic applications but i would recommend hiring someone to come in and be your trainer/manager. Maybe search for someone in the area parttime or some who might have retired from the business. Just having someone on hand will greatly help you and your employees.

Even with someone with experience in your shop, I still would seach for training and seminars related to the business.

GOOD LUCK to you all!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You would do better to hire someone that has a handle on quite a few of the things you want to do. Till you send everyone to school and get training, practice and knowledge under their belts, you'll be out of business.

Unlike many professions [shoe salesman, pizza delivery or StarBucks counter person].... which you can get on the job training.... signs are a little different because the end user [customer] generally wants the product made correctly and is usually willing to pay for it furnished straight the first time.

Go to the 'Hiring' section below and put up a sign.... 'Looking for Experienced Sign Person'.

jdb

If I where you I would train myself first. You're in charge, it's your business and you should know every aspect of your business. Welcome and best of luck.