• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would you please express your opinion for pricing?

phototec

Hey Davey,

If all your friends like you hard to read signs using a decorative font in all CAPS, you should give them even more, try Old English (like below), after all more is better, right?

No matter what you think, we all were only trying to help you see what's wrong with using certain fonts the wrong way (all caps is hard to read).

Do you know what the purpose of a sign is suppose to be?

:doh:

Attachments

• Garden sign MOD.jpg
    Garden sign MOD.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 128

Jillbeans

It's sad to me, all the arguing back and forth between people who posted on this thread aside, that you will still continue to use all-caps in a script or a display font.
:rolleyes:
If you only did it the right way (caps and lower case) it would take your signs from looking like those of a hobbyist to ones that look like they were produced by a professional. It's a no-brainer.
:cool:

mopar691

So these are not your first 2 pieces and you did not just start this? You have the process down now, been selling a lot of them and wondering if you are charging correct? Your first post suggested these were your first 2 and a one off, but now you say you are and have been in full production of these things? I am confused.

Jeff

It's sad to me, all the arguing back and forth between people who posted on this thread aside, that you will still continue to use all-caps in a script or a display font.
:rolleyes:
If you only did it the right way (caps and lower case) it would take your signs from looking like those of a hobbyist to ones that look like they were produced by a professional. It's a no-brainer.
:cool:

I'm with ya Jill, but as the OP posted (people are buying them), the BIG problem is that people buy the crap that looks like crap that you can't read for crap! I could spend hours sharing examples of people praising crappy layouts, designs and color choices. In most cases the big draw is "they were cheap"!

More and more in this business, being able to design and produce quality products for a reasonable profit is getting harder and harder. All most all customers/consumers want it cheap and they certainly don't know good from bad in terms of layout and such!

OldPaint

there is the problem......PEOPLE ARE BUYING THEM..........so this tell the guy making them(crappy looking signs)that hes doin great)))))
I WAS AS NICE AS I COULD BE....in my 1st post. and i still stand by saying THEY ARE NOT SALABLE!!!! if people buy them, thats sad......BUT THE PERSON PRODUCING THEM...........has no pride in the work he produces....OTHER THEN TO MAKE MONEY(and sell it cheaper then a real sign shop would)!!! and reading your post, you will remain a "hobbist" and never attain any credibility as anything more.............
YOU NEED TO LEARN ........use of fonts, what good design is......so until then you will be nothing more then someone producing a sign that is cheaper and of poor design....because you believe those of us who do this work as professionals.....we make to much money for what we produce.

S'N'S

This is a 2 minute slap together using your choice of font, as the others have said..all caps are hard to read. Be honest, which one is easier to read from a distance. You don't need to use all the negative space, leaving the right amount will actually make it easier to read. Hmmm,1am time for bed.:Sleeping:

Attachments

• Welcome.jpg
    Welcome.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 111

infinitesign

I am new to all this, and I am just a hobbier. I built my own cnc and have been making rc airplanes, clocks, and signs for my friends. A friend of mine who owns a local store, and I, came up with an idea to make garden signs for mothers day and for the spring. I machined these signs from 3/4" Duna board, and painted them with exterior acrylic latex. I have plates glued to the backs with a keyhole in them, so they could be hung on a wall, or a wooden stake that I was also going to supply. So people could put them in their gardens. The signs are 12" high by 21" wide, V carved letters, and I have $10.00 invested in the Duna board, and about another $5.00 in paint, plates, and wooden stake. I also have 30 minutes machining time and about 30 minutes to finish the rest of the assy and painting. I want to sell these to my friend at the store for one price, and leave room for him to mark them up himself. Putting aside that I have $15.00 materials and 1 hour labor in these signs. I would just like to ask what everyone thinks as to what would be a fair market value to try to sell these for?

May I privately email you about cnc plans, and how they interface with your software?

infinitesign

I am new to all this, and I am just a hobbier. I built my own cnc and have been making rc airplanes, clocks, and signs for my friends. A friend of mine who owns a local store, and I, came up with an idea to make garden signs for mothers day and for the spring. I machined these signs from 3/4" Duna board, and painted them with exterior acrylic latex. I have plates glued to the backs with a keyhole in them, so they could be hung on a wall, or a wooden stake that I was also going to supply. So people could put them in their gardens. The signs are 12" high by 21" wide, V carved letters, and I have $10.00 invested in the Duna board, and about another $5.00 in paint, plates, and wooden stake. I also have 30 minutes machining time and about 30 minutes to finish the rest of the assy and painting. I want to sell these to my friend at the store for one price, and leave room for him to mark them up himself. Putting aside that I have $15.00 materials and 1 hour labor in these signs. I would just like to ask what everyone thinks as to what would be a fair market value to try to sell these for?

;)

Techman

CNC machines are great for doing things cheapy. However we have to learn about design time, setup time and machine time. Those panels have more than an hour total time in them. More like 2 hours at least. Then you add on finish time.

CNC user forget about electricity costs. They somehow forget their house usage and machine usage are not separate. I would guess you are using a router motor. A standard router motor is about 3 HP and that will cost you plenty more than you think. I just cut a 3D dragon 24x 30 that cost about 20 bux in electric power.

30 bux in MDF, 20 bux in power, and plenty of hours baby sitting the robot. It all adds up.

There is an actual cost of about 65 bux in one unit. Add in the hours and soon the selling price is over $300 for a 3D dragon finished with a sculpt nuveau. Yoru signs should be around 100 bux with proper font and good layout and nice paint finish. A nice paint is not the cheap stuff out of the local Michaels. That means use a top grade acrylic or alkyd paint that will last for years.