• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would you please express your opinion for pricing?

davey210

I am new to all this, and I am just a hobbier. I built my own cnc and have been making rc airplanes, clocks, and signs for my friends. A friend of mine who owns a local store, and I, came up with an idea to make garden signs for mothers day and for the spring. I machined these signs from 3/4" Duna board, and painted them with exterior acrylic latex. I have plates glued to the backs with a keyhole in them, so they could be hung on a wall, or a wooden stake that I was also going to supply. So people could put them in their gardens. The signs are 12" high by 21" wide, V carved letters, and I have $10.00 invested in the Duna board, and about another $5.00 in paint, plates, and wooden stake. I also have 30 minutes machining time and about 30 minutes to finish the rest of the assy and painting. I want to sell these to my friend at the store for one price, and leave room for him to mark them up himself. Putting aside that I have $15.00 materials and 1 hour labor in these signs. I would just like to ask what everyone thinks as to what would be a fair market value to try to sell these for?

Attachments

• PICT0829.jpg
    PICT0829.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 161
  • PICT0830.jpg
    PICT0830.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 113

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The classic rule of thumb for pricing manufactured items is 5x the cost. Thus a cost of $15.00 should bring ~$75.00.

You can apply all manner of pricing models but each and every one of them that is realistic will come in somewhere around 5x the actual cost. That is, of course, if you actually want to make a reasonable return. If that doesn't interest you then...shrug. If you see these as custom goods as opposed to a commodity then there really isn't any reliable pricing model, it's whatever you can convince someone to pay.

Biker Scout

If you made 2 signs, and actually have $5 worth of paint on them you are doing something wrong. Perhaps you bought a can of paint that cost $5? Did that leave you with any left over? How many more can you paint with the remaining paint. That's how you're gonna be able to tell your actual overall costs. Same with the board. Did you buy a 4x8 sheet for $10? Or did you already calculate out the square footage costs?

If you are making a quantity, your overall production costs go down considerably. Hence the 5X price mark-up rule actually comes into play.

On a side note, upper case script is horribly hard to read.

OldPaint

i have to be honest here.......i give ya credit for building your own CNC.........and now you need to learn how to use fonts... and i would for your own reputation.........not even think about selling these........ next you need to learn and acquire some design and art skills.......cause these are not something you want to base a reputation on........sorry.........NON-SALABLE ........all caps in the word WELCOME and especially the font you chose .......only thing worser you could have done have chosen OLD ENGLISH all caps!!!!!!

phototec

i have to be honest here.......i give ya credit for building your own CNC.........and now you need to learn how to use fonts... and i would for your own reputation.........not even think about selling these........ next you need to learn and acquire some design and art skills.......cause these are not something you want to base a reputation on........sorry.........NON-SALABLE ........all caps in the word WELCOME and especially the font you chose .......only thing worser you could have done have chosen OLD ENGLISH all caps!!!!!!

Old Paint is Right-On, you are NOT using the font correctly, the font you chose and Old English are NOT meant to be used with ALL caps because it is very hard to read.

I would suggest you learn about typography before going into the business of selling these type of signs, see examples below of the proper use of fonts on similar signs.

Compare the liability to your signs!

:omg:

Attachments

• mJGdYpXac7SQu0CZeQUk3MQ.jpg
    mJGdYpXac7SQu0CZeQUk3MQ.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 116
  • original_Welcome-to-my-Garden.jpg
    original_Welcome-to-my-Garden.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 93
  • pid_9859-Garden-Poem-Signs-Welcome-to-my-Garden--130.jpg
    pid_9859-Garden-Poem-Signs-Welcome-to-my-Garden--130.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 97
  • welcome sign.jpg
    welcome sign.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 138

player

He could hire a sign designer like Jill Beans from here and produce great stuff with his duplicator.

Jillbeans

Gino beat me to it....never use all-caps in a script, or any display style alphabet (font)
It's one of the first rules I ever learned.
It's a shame, because those could have been very nice little signs.
I don't usually put prices out in the open but something like that should go for about $100 with the correct lettering. (or $75 to the re-seller at minimum) If you learn to gild, you could add another $75.
People do buy these little vanity signs, moreso when they have so & so's name on them.
Which part of PA?
Love....Jill

judead

wow so many haters so little time...

let me know if you would like some help with cost. pm me and I will give you contact info...

bob

let me know if you would like some help with cost. pm me and I will give you contact info...

If by 'haters' you man anyone that doesn't tell you how special and wonderful your product might be, and, of course, by extension yourself, then fine. If that's what you're looking for you'll probably be disappointed in these waters. If you choose to pay attention to the absolutely correct typographical critiques thus far, you might be able to raise your overall quality to the level of acceptability.

No matter how skillfully produced, no matter how exquisite the materials, bad typography remains bad typography. Yours is a classic train wreck.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
garden signs

nice.
i would start at 45 buck a sign.
nobody has extra money lying around for that.
if you ran out of inventory, charge more...

chris

judead

If by 'haters' you man anyone that doesn't tell you how special and wonderful your product might be, and, of course, by extension yourself, then fine. If that's what you're looking for you'll probably be disappointed in these waters. If you choose to pay attention to the absolutely correct typographical critiques thus far, you might be able to raise your overall quality to the level of acceptability.

No matter how skillfully produced, no matter how exquisite the materials, bad typography remains bad typography. Yours is a classic train wreck.

and we have yahtzee.

Don't mean that the typography tips are wrong just think it could be done in a more professional manner.

I'll stay out of your waters bob.

bob

Don't mean that the typography tips are wrong just think it could be done in a more professional manner...

By that you mean in some manner that won't nudge your delicate sensibilities?

The best way to tell someone something looks like crap is to tell them it looks like crap. No matter how many lollipops, balloons, and puppy dogs surround dreck, it's still dreck. Grow a skin.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Is there something wrong with you ?? No where has anyone given the OP any reason to feel hated. He admitted he is a hobbyist and not good at this stuff, hence why he said he's new to this.

Would you rather he goes through life the way the schools are teaching kids that no one is stoopid or lousy at certain things ?? You want this OP to not understand good layout, design or business ?? Do you think everyone should skate through life without any falls ??

This OP needs help..... and lots of it. Does he want it ?? We won't know until he comes back, but according to you, he just needs some private tutoring. Why can't everyone learn along with him ?? It's a public forum. We're all here to learn from each others mistakes and good fortunes. Right ?? With an attitude like yours, no one will learn a thing, unless you take them under your expert wing.

What is wrong with some of you, anyway ??

:Oops: Jill, I didn't say what you accused me of, either. I think you mixed me up with someone else. OP perhaps ?? :covereyes: