• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wow, this is one job I could never do!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That guy underneath me would have to have a big bucket on top of his helmet to catch the brown stuff constantly falling out of me.

Okay, so he has a tough job climbing up there to fix something or replace a light-bulb or beacon. Okay, I get that, but who in the H*ll built that in the first place and put it together up there with all the tools and sh!t ?? How long do they make extension cords and who carried the next beam pole up and set it in place while someone else screwed it fast ?? Ain't that just crazy ?? I think you could touch frickin' Mars from one of them poles. :omg:

ThinkRight

I could do it but....
That much climbing would suck,that is the hard part.
Heights don't bother me too much if my feet are stable, but on a gravel roof near the edge bothers me.

jayhawksigns

Done a little tower climbing, I wasn't ever not tied to the tower though, and never that high up.

It is fun once you get up, gives you a new perspective on your surroundings.

MikePro

always wondered how much "sway" there is going on at the top.
steel is strong, but it still flexes a little bit over such a long distance.

ThinkRight

always wondered how much "sway" there is going on at the top.
steel is strong, but it still flexes a little bit over such a long distance.

Looking from the ground you can see it moving slowly.
On top it feels like a carnival ride :omg:
( on windy days)

Baz

I never get tired of watching that video! Man o man .. Did you see at the end when he is attaching that steel rign to the top! He uses both his hands to install it .. meaning he is just free standing on top of that friggin thing!

I am not scared of heights .. I went straight to the edge of a 22 story building and looked down. When i did it i was as calm as could be .. But when i think of it i get shivers! I wonder how i would react to going this high.

It's nuts!

letterman7

Watched something like that when Dirty Jobs was still on the air. The tower was half that height and I still got vertigo for Mike...

Kudos to the guys that can handle those kind of heights. Not me!

phototec

That guy underneath me would have to have a big bucket on top of his helmet to catch the brown stuff constantly falling out of me.

Okay, so he has a tough job climbing up there to fix something or replace a light-bulb or beacon. Okay, I get that, but who in the H*ll built that in the first place and put it together up there with all the tools and sh!t ?? How long do they make extension cords and who carried the next beam pole up and set it in place while someone else screwed it fast ?? Ain't that just crazy ?? I think you could touch frickin' Mars from one of them poles. :omg:

Gino, we think alike, all through the video, that's all I was thinking, how the he~~ did they build that tower?

That would be some video to watch, I was in NYC in 1968 and went up to the observation tower of the Empire State building and that was so scary, I had a hard time getting close to the edge, it's really powerful view of the city.

They had a photo display showing images of the construing back in 1930, I don't think the word SAFETY had been invented yet, and of course the was no OSHA either, these construction guys would walk on beams 1,000 feet above the ground, just like they were walking on the sidewalk, just amazing.

:notworthy:

ChicagoGraphics

That tower would be great to bunji off of, I saw a documentary once about guys that worked on towers like that and there pay oggle bucks, but alls it takes is one slip and your dead. I'll continue making signs and staying closer to the ground, lol

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I used to have no problems with that sort of thing even replacing the roof edge flashing on a 30 story building downtown when I was younger. I've found that as I get older though, I'm far less inclined to enjoy extreme hights anymore. On and those 2 guys are insane.

animenick65

My guess is they build most of it on the ground horizontally and then pull it up? If that's not the case, that's certainly how I would do it.

TheSnowman

I'm surprised that dude didn't have to carry two bags up, I'd think it'd be easier to haul giant balls up the climb with you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My guess is they build most of it on the ground horizontally and then pull it up? If that's not the case, that's certainly how I would do it.

Obviously, you don't mean from a pulley....... huh ??

After building this horizontal contraption.... who is gonna pull that up the side of a little pole and then bolt it to the one below it ?? I know this thing is frickin' high, but we still have gravitation pull and things just won't float around til you get ready to bolt it down. Besides, the guy has to take breathers every coupla minutes just pulling himself up..... and you think someone's gonna do it..... PLUS carry a several hunderd pound pole with climbing apparatus and electrics running through it up there ??

I'm gonna go back to drinking........... GINO.gif . that's the only way you're gonna do it......... :Big Laugh