• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a 50ft tall concrete silo. Anyone ever done something similar? Pricing and time?

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Long story short I was asked to wrap a huuuuge silo. over 3000sf.
The surface is not "smooth". It is corrugated so we either have to cut and drop or roll in the vinyl. Silo being concrete it has metal bars running around it.(!!!) Has anyone ever done something similar? I would like to know how much you guys charged a SF and how long did it take? This one is 50ft tall and 900 inches around. not sure how was it measured around (just the outside or going in and out of the corrugated surface.

My partner is super optimistic. He thinks we could knock this out in 4-5 days just two of us.
I think we wouldn't be able to finish half of that in that many days. I think this is at least a 7-10 days job. Or we are both super wrong and it would take 2-3 weeks.
They want to give us only $4 per sf

Imagine one of these.
Pic3_400x240.jpg

Yes I know that it looks like a major PITA. Yes I know it should be mesh banner but vinyl is already printed and shipped.
We have a chance to make 500 a day worse case. ( maybe even twice as much)

equippaint

I wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole. What happens if you screw up their material? How are you going to get up there too? That $4/sq include you providing a lift? Working in the air adds a lot of time to a job then you have to factor in the wind and other weather conditions. To me, the risk doesnt match the reward

rjssigns

$500 a day sounds good but you may be opening a can of whoop a$$.
I'd do a site survey and sit down with your partner going over all the possible pitfalls before committing.
Moisture content of the concrete? Obstructions? Weather? Boom lift? Rough terrain tele-handlers weigh about 12 ton. Fall protection?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Run, that needs to be done the right way, you are opening up yourselves to a world of hurt since you are only subs. You also have no control of how or what they printed and say things don't meet up because of them printing wrong, are you prepared for it to be your fault?

kcollinsdesign

Old member
No! Vinyl isn't going to stick to that stuff, and even if properly primed, it wont last very long. Then just imagine trying to get the vinyl into those corrugations (assuming you have sized the print correctly) and working around those metal bars.

It could possibly be painted. I would guess the total project would be around $18,000 labor, $4200 in materials, and 2 weeks of access. Probably around $2500.00. I wouldn't quote on it until I tested the surface and did a thorough site survey. If the silo needs to be primed, probably add another $9000.00 and another week of access.

I would only attempt this job with experienced painters with significant experience using rigging and working at heights. I would also test everything before hand, including the paint system. Latex could be used as a top coat, but a mineral silicate paint (Keim) will hold up much longer and may be a better investment (depending on the anticipated useful timespan of the message).

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Run run run run run run run run run.

Installing for $500 a day is pathetic. $1000 minimum (not you charge $1000, but net $1000) for just everyday regular stuff... $1500-$2000 for after-hours or long days or weird stuff like this.

Even on the high end I wouldn't take it because there are too many variables that others mentioned and I have a ton of other work that wouldn't keep me up at night worrying.

CanuckSigns

I wouldn't touch that job with a 100' pole, if I took it it would take 10 years off my life from stress.

Also, the graphics are already printed? so someone decided that vinyl is the best bet already, why aren't they installing it? A mesh banner with ratchet straps is the way to go on this project

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You wouldn't catch me doing this job, but here's something for you to think about.

If you make $500 in a day and think that's good, that equals barely over $60 an hour. You mean to tell me, you or your partner would rather be up there, doing al-l-l-l-l that sh!tty work, than having both feet planted on the ground making $62.50 an hour ?? First, you need to raise your prices when out doing that kinda work and I don't mean doubling. More like tripling or quadrupling..... at least. Second, you need to raise your prices for groundwork, too. No wonder someone wants to hire you guys to scale a silo like that.

HulkSmash

You wouldn't catch me doing this job, but here's something for you to think about.

If you make $500 in a day and think that's good, that equals barely over $60 an hour. You mean to tell me, you or your partner would rather be up there, doing al-l-l-l-l that sh!tty work, than having both feet planted on the ground making $62.50 an hour ?? First, you need to raise your prices when out doing that kinda work and I don't mean doubling. More like tripling or quadrupling..... at least. Second, you need to raise your prices for groundwork, too. No wonder someone wants to hire you guys to scale a silo like that.

Couldn't agree more.
A few things.. we bill out our guys at $1200 a day per dude minimum
2nd - liability.. no thanks
3rd huge nightmare for 0 return.
4th no.

MikePro

this thread will definitely need updates. I dig your optimism, but that's one heck of a can o' worms. Lotta unknowns, but I am ...intrigued, at what's to come of it.

tattoo.dan

awesome..if $500 a day is a good day for you do it. Just promise you will show end result or update with your decision to say f*ck it

Johnny Best

This has got to be a goof! your going to wrap vinyl on old concrete silo with metal bars all in the front of it for $500 a day. And your partner is enthusiastic about it. Please take pics and post them as you go. I first thought you were going to wrap it with a large banner but then with further reading was amazed you are using vinyl on concrete. You got me interested on the outcome. Don't spend all your money in one place as my father use to tell me.

equippaint

This has got to be a goof! your going to wrap vinyl on old concrete silo with metal bars all in the front of it for $500 a day. And your partner is enthusiastic about it. Please take pics and post them as you go. I first thought you were going to wrap it with a large banner but then with further reading was amazed you are using vinyl on concrete. You got me interested on the outcome. Don't spend all your money in one place as my father use to tell me.
I spent all mine at cheatahs and it was well worth it.
If you run out the math I think its 500/head. Not that it makes it better. Its not bad money if youre working from your garage and the job is T&M but on a hard bid - no way.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Alright, this is dumb, going on long enough.

What's the terrain like at the base ??
Can you get a knuckle boom in there... all the way around ??
How many times will you hafta move a two-man stage around a 25' cylinder to wrap one level ??
Who hasta pay for the rental equipment ??
What is the media being used and is it laminated ??
You do realize that with the measurements given, this whole job is worth $15,000 ??

Can you do it for that regardless of all these obtacles ??

Oh, and weather will play a huge part in this.​

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
I wouldn't touch that job with a 100' pole, if I took it it would take 10 years off my life from stress.

Also, the graphics are already printed? so someone decided that vinyl is the best bet already, why aren't they installing it? A mesh banner with ratchet straps is the way to go on this project
The best option is mesh banner!!
They can hang it themselves-
Nice recommendation Canuck Signs!