• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

X feed adjustment

ahollow

I just noticed that my Mutoh Jr. is feeding short 1/8" per foot. I get the full image, just within a smaller area. I noticed this when I started printing the grommet locations on a banner that needed a grommet every 12". For some reason, I measured the distance before grommeting, and noticed the discrepancy. So, I need to know how the fine-tune the X feed on a Mutoh Jr (Rockhopper).

Thanks for any suggestions (no, it's not under service agreement).

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I just noticed that my Mutoh Jr. is feeding short 1/8" per foot. I get the full image, just within a smaller area. I noticed this when I started printing the grommet locations on a banner that needed a grommet every 12". For some reason, I measured the distance before grommeting, and noticed the discrepancy. So, I need to know how the fine-tune the X feed on a Mutoh Jr (Rockhopper).

This has nothing to do with adjusting the printer. I see that you're using Flexi. In the Production manager highlight the printer setup. Then do Setup->Output Size Compensation... Set the expected length and the measured length in the appropriate text boxes. Be sure and check the "Enable Output Size Compensation" box.

You'll find the different media each will each require a bit different size compensation. Banner material is the worst but I don't care all that much. I always tell the client that banner sizes are nominal and I try to hit them as best I can but we're running fabric through a friction feed mechanism here so be happy with +- 3/4" or so.

in your case, 1/8" to a foot is damn near 1 part in 100 accuracy. That ought to be acceptable to all but the terminally anal.

ahollow

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I was hoping to make the adjustment on the printer itself, but Bob's suggestion was right on. The only issue, if you try it, it don't use the "test print" to proof after making the adjustment. I kept getting a 12x11.875 square using the "test print" no matter what I set X and Y to. So, I set the X to 11.875, saved it again, and just created a box 12x12 and printed that. It came out perfect.

I agree, Bob, that a banner shouldn't need that type of accuracy, but the mounting bracket is an angle iron with 15 holes spaced one foot apart; if I used the marks I created through Flexi I would have been off almost 2" at the end. The accuracy reqmt was created by me trying to be fancy instead of just manually marking the grommet holes after printing.

Thanks for all the help.

randya

The step adjust (either the printer or in the RIP) sounds like the primary culprit here.

You can spend a lot of time tweaking the step adjust to match your overall length.
Most will set up the step adjust to fix banding and then use the RIP compensation as you have for the final adjust for overall lenght.