• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

XC-540 Overspray! I Need Help!!!!

artbot

seems like everything possible has been mentioned. but i'd go at completely turning off the printer (front button, back switch, unplug, tap front button four times). saw an sp300 a while back that had a built up charge in the machine causing it to print similarly.

data cable ribbon-wise. doesn't look quite like the artifact that is caused by loose data cable. but i'd rotate them just in case. and when doing so inspect the ends to make sure no ink build up, fraying, or burns are on the ends.

and does anyone know the configuration for a data swap on this machine? it could prove if the issue is located in the data (board/slider board) vs. head.

Gforce1

Agreed with stickercutter.

This is a failing head. They go every couple of years. Dropped nozzles and over spray are signs of weak firing. IE burned out head.

I have no dropped nozzles at all on any of my heads in this situation. Not that that means anything at the end of the day.

Although I don't think this is your issue, have you tried cleaning the encoder strip? It's probably not that, but it doesn't hurt to clean it. Also, have you tried slowing the head speed down to see if that makes any difference.
Sorry, I've had my xc540 for 3 years and I rarely have any problems with it (knock on wood) so my trouble shooting and maintenance experience on this machine is limited.

Did you know that you can buy a warranty at any time? I bought one last year after my factory warranty ran out. It's already paid for itself.

All Graphic Supplies should be able to set you up with the warranty and or a tech.

Good luck

Funny, you mention that, I've had quite a few issues over the years on our SP300 that were always encoder strip related so I clean it regularly to be safe. I didn't know that about the warranty though, good info, thanks!

seems like everything possible has been mentioned. but i'd go at completely turning off the printer (front button, back switch, unplug, tap front button four times). saw an sp300 a while back that had a built up charge in the machine causing it to print similarly.

data cable ribbon-wise. doesn't look quite like the artifact that is caused by loose data cable. but i'd rotate them just in case. and when doing so inspect the ends to make sure no ink build up, fraying, or burns are on the ends.

and does anyone know the configuration for a data swap on this machine? it could prove if the issue is located in the data (board/slider board) vs. head.

The machine has been off and unplugged a few times over the last month, haven't done the button tap 4 times though!

I have already checked the data cables and they were all fine.

This last thing is going to make me feel like an idiot if this is the answer. But while doing the test prints I realized the head height was set to High. After the tests I left it on Low and printed a few things and they came out beautifully! Could that be my problem that somehow the head got set to high without me knowing and it was simply too high for the media? Do most of you guys have yours on Low unless it's banner?

Edit: After looking at them closer I noticed there is still a very minimal bit of bluryness on the crop marks and a few other spots so it seems that has just drastically reduced the problem not fixed it??

Sticky Signs

Damn it. I also wanted to mention the head height and I forgot. Oh well, doesn't sound like that's solved your problem either.
The warranty is pretty good. If I remember correctly there's 3 different versions. One covers parts, parts and labor or part labor and travel time.... Or something like that. I don't remember all the details. Either way, definitely worth the investment because I had a head crap out on me shortly after getting the warranty. It was replaced and a full service was performed on the machine by the tech while I did other stuff.

cdiesel

Head height can absolutely (and most likely is) be your problem. The test prints don't show signs of a failing head. Failing heads won't necessarily show problems on a normal test print. If you do a test print in service mode, or the bi-di test, it is very obvious if there's a problem. Most of the time, a failing head can be compensated for by slowing the head speed down, which is why printing on higher quality modes usually masks the problem.

Every once in a while we'll get a roll that prints with the ghost streaking.

And static absolutely affects these machines.

LarryB

We print everything with heads down except for banner material which is raised and guides are used. Your print quality will improve with heads down. Another problem with printing with the heads up is you will have overspray making a mess along the entire carriage length which could end up causing other problems.
Also I was using 3rd party inks for 3-4 months and ended up switching back to Roland inks because of banding issues. I do not know if over time those inks have an adverse effects on the heads.

splizaat

Ours did that A LOT before we put it on a surge protector. Blurry blurry prints. We'd have to unplug all the time. Now we haven't had a problem since.

synergy_jim

NONE OF THESE PROBLEMS ARE RELATED TO STATIC. STATIC IS A TOTAL MYTH in 99% of cases!!! These printers are MADE to perform in these type of environments.

I don't see anything wrong with the test prints, but the resolution isn't very high on the scan, so I can't see them as nice as I would like to.

you are wrong..... Static has caused our XC to act like this a number of times. We now have it on a painted concrete floor in a humidity controlled room. No problems any more...

BALLPARK

Although I don't think this is your issue, have you tried cleaning the encoder strip? It's probably not that, but it doesn't hurt to clean it. Also, have you tried slowing the head speed down to see if that makes any difference.
Sorry, I've had my xc540 for 3 years and I rarely have any problems with it (knock on wood) so my trouble shooting and maintenance experience on this machine is limited.

Did you know that you can buy a warranty at any time? I bought one last year after my factory warranty ran out. It's already paid for itself.

All Graphic Supplies should be able to set you up with the warranty and or a tech.

Good luck

Wow... lucky guy. I tried to purchase a new warranty on an XC-540 that we just purchased. The warranty had expired already. The machine had a few new heads, new motherboard and in excellent condition. But I was not able to secure a new warranty. :(