• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

yard signs

CODYJ1983

hey guys I am facinated by sign making. i am looking to start by making yard signs and magnetic signs . I am setting up shop near houston. What equipment and materials would you recommend for me to use. thanks a lot. I am hoping I can grow the business. Also who would you use as the distributor for the yard sign materials.

Pat Whatley

With no experience, no equipment, and no clue about materials I would highly recommend you start with a Troy Bilt riding mower and a Ryobi weed eater.

CODYJ1983

well i understand what you are saying, but it would be wrong for me to go to work with some shop for a month and then leave and start my own business. so I came here to get help hopefully. p.s. I have a job I was thinking of doing it part time until i learn more.

Pat Whatley

A month?

Seriously, you got some mad ninja design skills or something to use here? It just seems ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS to decide you want to start a business doing something you have no clue at all about. Hell, if you're gonna do that at least pick a career that isn't being bombarded by no talent hacks....you should go be a brain surgeon....wait, the government is about to mess up that gig....I've got it! Nuclear Physicist! Wait, tree huggers are screwing that on up. Oh oh oh....lawyer! Dangit, there's that pesky bar exam. Nope, I'm still thinking lawn maintenance technician is the way to go here. (or is that what you're already doing and you're just here looking to find a cheap way to get signs and magnetics?)

SignosaurusRex

well i understand what you are saying, but it would be wrong for me to go to work with some shop for a month and then leave and start my own business. so I came here to get help hopefully. p.s. I have a job I was thinking of doing it part time until i learn more.

:popcorn:

Techman

you are entering the wrong segment of this business.
There are already very large companies doing whole sale yard signs and magnetic for less than a couple of dollars each.
Their economies of scale are ridiculously low. So you don't have a chance in hell.

You are about 5 years too late for ding vinyl work. Vinyl is just about a cooked tom turkey. Yard signs is a done deal too. You are wasting your time. There are hundreds of people with a cutter of their own doing these things for cheap. Its become a desk top home based project.

Go find a real shign shop. work there for about a year. Then try again.

Jillbeans

What the other fellas said is true.
Why even try to get into a market where people can just order yard signs directly online for $1 each?
And magnetic signs can be had at $39 a pair via Kinko's or even cheaper on eBay/craigslist.
Buy yourself a Cricut and start selling stickers at the flea market.
Just don't make any Harley or Disney ones or you'll get sued.
Honestly, you'd be better off getting a job at McDonald's.
Love.....Jill

signage

What the other fellas said is true.
Why even try to get into a market where people can just order yard signs directly online for $1 each?
And magnetic signs can be had at $39 a pair via Kinko's or even cheaper on eBay/craigslist.
Buy yourself a Cricut and start selling stickers at the flea market.
Just don't make any Harley or Disney ones or you'll get sued.
Honestly, you'd be better off getting a job at McDonald's.
Love.....Jill

or the wine store:loveya:......:wine-smi:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA.........................................................

hey guys I am facinated by sign making. i am looking to start by making yard signs and magnetic signs . I am setting up shop near houston. What equipment and materials would you recommend for me to use. thanks a lot. I am hoping I can grow the business. Also who would you use as the distributor for the yard sign materials.

For yard signs, try using Sign Frames & Stakes. They are made of durable plastic and can hold carious types and sizes of signs printed onto substrates or other types of media.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

T-Square_WPB

How much are you looking to spend to get started? Do you have a client base already? Perhaps learning a bit more about the industry and then doing a few outsource projects to "get your feet wet" would help. But if you are serious about it, go to a few manufacturers websites, hit up a few of your local sign shops and just ask a few questions. I work for a company that is now publicly traded which was started by a guy in 1985. With no experience he bought a repro company, then another, then another...and so on. Today, if you got something that needs printing, no matter what. One of our 300+ locations can do it. So don't listen to people who tell you that you can't. You'll find forums whether about signs, cars or bean counting always have those few people who are quick to judge, give a smart-ass comment and think they know more than you do...

Malkin

Yard signs tend to be one of the least profitable types of signs, in large part due to folks like yourself entering the industry, and charging too little because it's the only way they can get business.

It's not just you, it happens all the time, thus the responses in this thread.

signsofparadise

This business gets more stupid by the day... unbelievable. We used to get $ 40.00 for a "yard" sign 1 color one sided and $ 60.00 for 2 sided. There's no way you can get that anymore - now they can be had for under $ 5.00, so there's two of us that don't make any money on "yard" signs anymore. You won't be able to go to dinner once a week on what is left making "yard" signs and magnetics. You may not qualify to ride a lawn mower or use a weed eater. Best of Luck to You! If you want to work for free go to any shop and hang around, you'll be surprised at what you will learn and what you obviously don't know.

Blaney

Cody- 9 years ago I had the same thoughts you are having now. The only difference is I had worked in a shop 3 years before I started my own. I did signs part time and had a full time job. It took years to build a business that would support me and my family. Sub your jobs and build a client base. Save the profits and buy good equipment once you have an established business. Good luck.

Mosh

Takes more than equipment to have a shop! You are going to need $50K at least in equipment, plus $100K of experience!!!!

Get a job a a sign shop and learn the ropes, who know you might hate it. Or you might learn how to do it and enjoy yourself like the rest of us!

Takes more than equipment to have a shop! I have close to $500K in equipment and facilitys and I am a SMALL shop!