• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

You make stickers, right?

showcase 66

This afternoon I met up with a friend of mine who runs a another sign shop (not locally) for a bite to eat. We were going over some work he was doing and I was going to do the application and install for. We were approached by a guy asking if we did car stickers. I asked him what he was looking for and he said he wanted a custom sticker for his backglass. Kept using the word sticker and my friend who absolutely hates when people say it is a sticker went off on this guy.

I have seen him go off on friends and people who he knows mainly because they push him to that point. We used to call him the sticker dude just to get him riled up. I was laughing my ass of at him making a fool of himself.

After the guy took off I asked him why he gets all pissed at the term sticker. He wouldn't really answer me, but it got me thinking. If someone calls something I did a sticker, I will refer to it as a decal.

Just curious how many people dislike the term sticker when affiliated with their business.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They can call it anything they want as long as they convey the message, I get the job done right without any foul-ups and I get paid.

In fact, they can call me anything they want, I really don't give a darn what their vocabulary is as long as I understand them.

I was talking to a Chinese girl earlier today on the phone and I had no clue as to about 3/5's of what she was saying, but I do know she wants a 4' x 10' banner, 1-sided and she is providing all the artwork and some of it will be in Chinese and she will make an outline file for the Chinese portion. In fact, after listening to her, I figured out I sold her 6 'Banner Ups' stands with matching artwork. She had no idea what they were called and after going back and forth, she finally figured out what I was talking about and said..... you gost it !!

However, I will not repeat the word 'Signage'. That's a totally messed up word, but I will still do their signs, I just won't call it signage myself.

Flame

I could really care less. I usually refer to them as decals, but sometimes that throws people off. Had someone all pissed at me because they didn't want a "decal", they wanted a "sticker" and couldn't understand why I only made decals.....well, come to find out they thought "decal" was printed, and "sticker" was cut vinyl.

So, I try to use decal but I could care less if they refer to them as stickers. Honestly, they are just sticky stickyers. lol.

slipperyfrog

If a kid in a car that sounds like an off breed of a lawnmower & motorcycle wants to call it a sticker then I smile, go along with him and call it a sticker. Then I take his $1k for his "sticker".

TheSnowman

I call them High Performance Pressure Sensitive Laminated Vinyl Decal Graphics. I get more money for them that way!

Just kidding, just decals here...stickers sounds cheap and people that call them that normally expect cheap price.

Latigo

We say........ "We manufacture appliques", but you have to pronounce it like "applikhays". Exhale on the last 4 letters so it sounds breathy and exotic. Make sure you have a hanky in your hand and touch it to your lips briefly after saying the word. It makes ladies get "vapory" and little kids look at you and marvel! :thumb:

P

showcase 66

Just kidding, just decals here...stickers sounds cheap and people that call them that normally expect cheap price.

Agree with you there.

Just got off the phone with his nephew who works with him. I guess when he got back to his place he was all pissed off at me. Turns out, he thinks I was playing a joke on him and that is why he went off on the guy. I guess my reaction of laughing at him didnt help the assumption.

I was telling my wife about it while eating dinner and at first she was mad at me because it probably looked bad for our business. I explained I didnt have my normal shirt on. I had just a t shirt with no markings and my Diamondbacks hat on not the one with my logo on it. Which then it made it even funnier to me.

haha oh well. he will get over it.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I mainly an architectural sign, environmental graphic designer... so when I say the word "sign" they immediately thing "sticker" vinyl signs... I find it amusing when I mention "sign" that "sticker" is almost always the first thing they think of. My response is, "oh I do that too", even though I have not touched my plotter or ordered prints for a very long time.

Custom_Grafx

If your friend is single, set him up with a date, and make sure you tell her to refer to everything he does as a sticker. It would also help if your female friend you set him up with, is extremely hot, and has huuuuuuuuuuuge boobs.

And... make sure you video it, and post the link, right here :)