• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your experience with Grimco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin

So what’s the history of customer service with Grimco? As you all likely know, our Canadian supplier “Proveer” was taken over by Grimco about a year ago, and there seems to be a drop in service. I’ve had a couple of orders sent to other sign shops, along with other shipping & order errors, and now this new issue today:

Just over a year ago I bought a 54” roll of JetFlex banner material. Not long into it I noticed a slight band along the length of it that was accepting the ink “differently”. This was on a few non-flood banners (white b/g) so it wasn’t too terrible, but seems to be getting worse into the roll. I did a black flood yesterday and the band was more noticeable. (I lightened-up the JPG to make it show more). I sent this photo to Grimco and was told that a claim would be put in. I would need to pay for the replacement roll, but would be credited once the claim was approved. Sounds good.

A few minutes later I got an email stating that “there’s nothing that they can do” because it was just out of shelf-life, and therefore out of warranty. I found this to be akin to dealing with an insurance company who is always looking for an out. That band would certainly have been there all along, and not just developed recently, so it didn’t seem like very good service to me who has been a long-time customer.

Is this their Modus Operandi?

Attachments

• P1070270.jpg
    P1070270.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 104

Colin

Oh, and I forgot to say.....they seem to often be out of stock of regular materials too, keeping stock really low. This can be frustrating. Is that their norm?

niksagkram

Hi Colin. We have dealt with our "local" (Calgary) Grimco for many years now, through several changes, from East West Plastic, to Proveer, and now Grimco. We are dealing with the same competent staff, many of whom have been there several years. So far the change has been fairly seamless, though, as you mentioned, some regular items are sometimes out of stock, but generally speaking, it only takes an extra day to get it from Vancouver where it often comes from. We very rarely have a shipping error, though Grimco does deliver using their own truck, so that could be why. All in all, we are very satisfied with Grimco.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Schickworks

We deal with the folks in Burnaby (Vancouver if you will). Mostly pretty good service. The low inventory and being out of things i wouldn't normally think a supplier should be out of is starting to get a bit irksome however. I do spend an awful lot of money with them each year so they are pretty good about handling troubles we have.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Unless it was their own house brand Banner material...they should have deferred the issue to the manufacturer...since it is a manufacturer problem. I would contact the manufacturer with the same evidence see what they say. Shelf life on banner material ink reception strips...LOL that's silly.
I had similar issues before with different banner materials I ordered through Fellers until I found one that's given me ZERO problems for the last 3 years. Zeelon.

Colin

Unless it was their own house brand Banner material...they should have deferred the issue to the manufacturer...since it is a manufacturer problem.

Yes, they did start the procedure with the manufacturer, but then discovered the purchase date, and informed me that there's nothing they can do because of that. He sent the claim in anyway, so we might get lucky, but if there's a policy of a year (or whatever), then they have an easy out.

Last edited:
Our experience with Grimco has been really good over the last 3 years. They call once a week and email every Friday about specials they are having. We just saved money today and stocked up on MaxMetal sheets. The customer service for us has honestly always been top notch. We get custom quotes within an hour or maybe two, typically. I do notice they run low on stock sometimes, but they always get it sent over from the next warehouse over in St. Louis and we get it 2 days later. If they sold Oracal vinyl, we would probably spend a lot more money with them.

Desert_Signs

Grimco has treated me well. But, if you were my customer, I would probably deny your claim as well.

You've straight admitted you knew it was a problem a year ago and continued to use the material. Now, over a year later, after using who knows how much of the material, you want a refund. Look at it from their perspective.

Andy D

Our service from Grimco has been over the top good, I can't say enough good things about them.
Whichever vendor you end up going with though, it's important to build a working relationship with them.

I work with only one rep, and he's not a salesman that is out and about visiting other shops, he's there
at the warehouse. I must email him a hundred times a week with question, for quotes or to place orders
and he always writes me back within minutes. He knows what products we use and what we typically go though
per month and he keeps those products stocked up, that's why we buy 95% of our material from them.

Just like you go out of your way for your good customers, so will your vendor if you're a loyal customer.
I have no doubt my rep would have found a way to comp me on that roll.

Colin

You've straight admitted you knew it was a problem a year ago and continued to use the material. Now, over a year later, after using who knows how much of the material, you want a refund.

I did not say that, you read that into it. I bought the roll a year ago, but still had to finish up a previous roll first, and as luck had it, I didn't have much in the way of orders for larger banners for some time (I also had a 38" roll in stock). So I first got into the 54" roll much less than a year ago, and the first portion was ok; then, the band was noticed at a slight level, but not bad. So it is now that the band is getting worse, and really revealed itself on a flood print.

Colin

Just like you go out of your way for your good customers, so will your vendor if you're a loyal customer.
I have no doubt my rep would have found a way to comp me on that roll.

Yes, I've been with them for 20+ years.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
I ordered (30) sheets of single sided Max Metal a couple months ago on a Wednesday. That Friday they had Max Metal as part of the Friday specials. It was $7 / sheet cheaper. Just my luck. I called them to see if I could get the discount. I didn't expect to get it in full, but for the sake of customer service I thought maybe we could split the difference. They said since they paid for shipping that I would not get any further discounts.

Billct2

The quality of Grimco service seems dependent on who is in the local office. But "out of stock" and having to come from another warehouse is common.

Andy D

Yes, I've been with them for 20+ years.

Sorry, I meant a good one-on-one relationship with your customer rep.
They have allot of resources and discretion to help you out.
Just the other day I told my rep that I dropped the ball on an order
and needed to have it shipped in next day, he covered my shipping
without me even asking him to, this is just one of many times he's bailed me out.

Marlene

did you ask for the warranty in print? if the material has a warranty, it would be in print not just a verbal over the phone

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Grimco has treated me well. But, if you were my customer, I would probably deny your claim as well.

You've straight admitted you knew it was a problem a year ago and continued to use the material. Now, over a year later, after using who knows how much of the material, you want a refund. Look at it from their perspective.

I did not say that, you read that into it. I bought the roll a year ago, but still had to finish up a previous roll first, and as luck had it, I didn't have much in the way of orders for larger banners for some time (I also had a 38" roll in stock). So I first got into the 54" roll much less than a year ago, and the first portion was ok; then, the band was noticed at a slight level, but not bad. So it is now that the band is getting worse, and really revealed itself on a flood print.

Well, like Desert_, I was under the impression you knew long enough in advance to have sent a complaint in long before this. What kind of compensation are you seeking ?? You said it was good enough for most of your banners, but now it's not. Over a year later is hard to expect anyone to do something. Seriously, if it's out of warranty, what is it you want ?? Ya buy anything from a refrigerator to a furnace...... and the day it goes out of warranty is the day, you're on your own. One generally knows this [the rules] going into any transaction, so I don't understand your beef.

Desert_Signs

That's certainly what it sounded like.

Either way, if it's out of warranty, it's out of warranty. If you went and bought a car today, parked it for 12 years, and then tried to use it and found out the motor was seized, it wouldn't matter that you hadn't used it. The warranty is over.

Colin

Well, like Desert_, I was under the impression you knew long enough in advance to have sent a complaint in long before this

And I spelled out why that is not the case.

What kind of compensation are you seeking?

Before I knew about the time factor, I was of course expecting a replacement, but now that I learn of this 1 year limitation, I'm not sure, but perhaps a discount on a new roll? But no, I wasn't even offered that. Full price.

You said it was good enough for most of your banners, but now it's not.

Correct. The band has gotten progressively worse. I am now at the 25% used point.

Over a year later is hard to expect anyone to do something. Seriously, if it's out of warranty, what is it you want? Ya buy anything from a refrigerator to a furnace...... and the day it goes out of warranty is the day, you're on your own. One generally knows this [the rules] going into any transaction, so I don't understand your beef.

We're not talking about something with moving parts, and in addition, the flaw in the roll of material would have indeed been there from the day it was purchased; it didn't "develop". I feel that their 1 year policy (in this case) isn't reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.