• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your Physical Health

sfcurcio

Let's talk about the sign business and your health.
I have been in the business for 31 years. In the last three years, my joints have begun to complain. Two years ago, I was out of work for a month due to a partially torn rotator cuff. The shop owner didn't know how to deal with worker's comp, so I had to bear the pain and initiate the exams and paperwork myself. If I left it up to him I would have never gotten treatment. That was over, but the doctor told me that I lost 3% of my arm strength and it would never recover.
Recently, I started feeling aches and pain in the same shoulder. It's not as debilitating as the first time, but it could be a sign (no pun intended) of things to come. My only thought is, "Here we go again."
I am hoping to build up enough in my retirement account so that I can say adios to the shop and perhaps if I am in any decent condition, find another part-time position for a couple of years to keep me busy and pay off more bills.
Has any of you old-timers been in such a situation? When do you decide to hang it up? Signs have been a good portion of my work life, so it's not like I can jump into something overnight.

Last edited:

victor bogdanov

I am fairly active with mountain biking and tear/break something yearly it seems. As owner/operator I went to print a couple hours after distal bicep tendon surgery, worked one armed for 3 months after that.

A year after the surgery I tore my other bicep and did not get it repaired due to not wanting to work one armed again for months. About 30% strength loss in the arm now, I can feel it lifting the heavy banner rolls

Have a torn rotator cuff from falling on outstretched arm, pretty much worked one armed after that for a few months, it is mostly pain free now but I have to be carefully how I lift heavy banner rolls or it can start hurting.

No choice but to work through it as owner/operator

3 months of arm locked like this not able to lift a cup of coffee or risk tearing the surgery repair but managed to load 60" rolls somehow
1.png

Quick doc visit a couple of days after surgery right after loading a few printers up and getting them printing. Arm totally useless
2.png

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
When I'm in pain I go to my chiropractor, she will give me exercises and they really help. I was having some serious issues with my hip... Could barely walk, could barely do my job... I was going to get a cortisone shot to ease the pain while I built up the muscle in my lower back which is arthritic. Insurance made me do physical therapy before I could get the shot. Doing these simple exercises every morning cleared up the pain, and never needed the shot. I often wonder how much better my body would feel if I really got into yoga. The exercises are basically yoga type stretching.

ChicagoGraphics

After doing years of screen printing by hand every now and then I get arthritis in my hands and get a dead pain in my shoulders, it's something I can live with. As what the op mentioned about retirement I threw in the towel in 2017 and kept a few of my key accounts and use wholesalers, as I moved out of Chicago to commie China, I know I know friends & family asked how I can move to such a fu*ked up country but it's not as bad as they say in the news in the states.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
After doing years of screen printing by hand every now and then I get arthritis in my hands and get a dead pain in my shoulders, it's something I can live with. As what the op mentioned about retirement I threw in the towel in 2017 and kept a few of my key accounts and use wholesalers, as I moved out of Chicago to commie China, I know I know friends & family asked how I can move to such a fu*ked up country but it's not as bad as they say in the news in the states.
Are you Asian or a different ethnicity? If different, why did you choose China? You can say commie China on the Internet and not get in trouble? I have so many questions

sfcurcio

Just wait til you get old. I wear a splint on my bone on bone wrist just to squeegee these days. It hurts!
I just turned 65. That's old in some people's books, but I should be as fit as an athlete according to some others. If you feel no pain at that age, more power to you.

Last edited:

damonCA21

One of my friends has been a builder all his life. He is 62 now and after work has to soak in the bath for an hour so he doesn't ache too much the next day. I think we get off lightly compared to a lot of trades, but if you are doing installs out in cold weather a lot, then your joints are going to suffer

sfcurcio

What is your current role at your shop? It sounds like you're not the owner, so is there an opportunity for you to move into a less physical role such as designer or project manager?
It's a small shop with three employees (counting the owner). He's a micromanager and takes the less labor-intensive work for himself. Tablework, cutting, and fabrication are all good exercises, yet they wear down the hands, arms, and shoulders. The doctor said my torn rotator cuff was the result of repetitive motion.

Gene@mpls

I am 77 and sold my shop to an employee when I was 75. Still go to the shop 7 days a week [except Jan and Feb] and love to work- you spend your life working and it is hard to stop. I retired when I was 62 during that down cycle and kept working -[takes the less labor-intensive work] describes the last 5 years. I am just not good at retiring- also it is nice being around young people with energy and plans.

ikarasu

Are you Asian or a different ethnicity? If different, why did you choose China? You can say commie China on the Internet and not get in trouble? I have so many questions
Theyre more lax on foreigners saying bad stuff on the internet than locals - That said if he lives there... My guess is he's on a VPN so he doesn't get in trouble.

My inlaws still live in china - They mentioned Covid on wechat while talking to the wife... And their account got banned for a week. When he came back he did it again... And security showed up at his door making him sign a statement he wont write false things about Covid anymore (He didnt even say anything bad... Just mentioned Covid is going around in the city and hospitals are full).

I've been to china a dozen or so times... I can say some areas are as bad as the news makes them out to be! A lot may not be, all the international hotspots like hong kong / Beijing are a bit more free... It's not like you'll get shot, or the cops will just arrest you for saying something bad, It isnt Dangerous per say, but when in China you can really feel the freedoms you enjoy in USA are non existant.

They are very restrictive - Our inlaws cant even get out more than 20K In Currency a year out of China....Imagine Biden telling you guys you cant spend your money overseas and it all has to stay in America.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I would highly recommend Physical Therapy. I ruptured my Achilles in the spring and was able to avoid surgery with PT. It is not cheap, but you should be able to get your boss to cover it with Work Comp. You need to remind your boss that many lawyers out there will help you get compensation if they can’t figure it out.