• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your Physical Health

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
ladVRts.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Burton is 36? Does anyone else have to subtract their birth year to figure out how old they are? I can never remember how old I am...

JBurton

Signtologist
Burton is 36? Does anyone else have to subtract their birth year to figure out how old they are? I can never remember how old I am...
My family's been at it for over 100 years, I've seen a lot, and heard a great deal more. I'm what they call old stock. It's like old money, but less, ya know, money.
I've always added my years of 13 before 2000 to the current year. not sure how these kids born post decade are gonna handle such complex calculations.
Where do you stand in all this anyways? Aside from the veggie pizzas and delectable smoothies?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm sure I said this before, but I got Chrones that was getting outta control and the medicine they give you to stop it is unsafe. They said my diet wouldn't really have an effect on it, which didn't make sense to me. I cut out gluten...felt better. Cut out dairy... solved another problem. Cut out all fast food...felt better. Switched to fresh juice all day and one meal at night... Feel really good. Exercise and get out in the sun...feeling even better and sleep well.

I just go based on how different I feel from before.. and that makes it easier to make the choices I do. Do I want to have 10 minutes in heaven eating panda express orange chicken and go back to feeling lazy tired and sluggish for the next week? No, not worth it knowing the difference in how I feel. I still have Chrones and have issues with it, but I'm off all the hard meds and only on a mild maintenance med....that as a bonus I get stick up my ass at night.

victor bogdanov

I'm sure I said this before, but I got Chrones that was getting outta control and the medicine they give you to stop it is unsafe. They said my diet wouldn't really have an effect on it, which didn't make sense to me. I cut out gluten...felt better. Cut out dairy... solved another problem. Cut out all fast food...felt better. Switched to fresh juice all day and one meal at night... Feel really good. Exercise and get out in the sun...feeling even better and sleep well.

I just go based on how different I feel from before.. and that makes it easier to make the choices I do. Do I want to have 10 minutes in heaven eating panda express orange chicken and go back to feeling lazy tired and sluggish for the next week? No, not worth it knowing the difference in how I feel. I still have Chrones and have issues with it, but I'm off all the hard meds and only on a mild maintenance med....that as a bonus I get stick up my ass at night.
Lost my dad to crohns , he went the natural/diet route, no medication and ended up with liver failure as the inflammation spread there. Keep a close eye on it, no joke disease that affects you 24/7

Eforcer

Let's talk about the sign business and your health.
I have been in the business for 31 years. In the last three years, my joints have begun to complain. Two years ago, I was out of work for a month due to a partially torn rotator cuff. The shop owner didn't know how to deal with worker's comp, so I had to bear the pain and initiate the exams and paperwork myself. If I left it up to him I would have never gotten treatment. That was over, but the doctor told me that I lost 3% of my arm strength and it would never recover.
Recently, I started feeling aches and pain in the same shoulder. It's not as debilitating as the first time, but it could be a sign (no pun intended) of things to come. My only thought is, "Here we go again."
I am hoping to build up enough in my retirement account so that I can say adios to the shop and perhaps if I am in any decent condition, find another part-time position for a couple of years to keep me busy and pay off more bills.
Has any of you old-timers been in such a situation? When do you decide to hang it up? Signs have been a good portion of my work life, so it's not like I can jump into something overnight.
In October I decided to do private training. I do merch for several gyms. I go 3 times a week for an hour a session. And look forward to getting out of the gym. It's rough at 62. But in no time, I went from a 38 waist to 36. And because of the stretching program I can tie my laces without pain. Lots of aches have almost gone away. I have had chronic back pains for 20+ years. Always conscious of how I do things to prevent any issues. I am no longer afraid.

So if anything stretching will be extremely helpful.

Stacey K

I like making signs

That's very interesting, and I 100% believe your diet makes you feel better. Over the last few years I started making all my own seasonings, growing my own herbs and spices and making my own lotions, cleaners, laundry soap, etc. I also recently stopped drinking tap water and use spring water. I try growing enough vegetables for the year but have yet to succeed. Getting rid of all the extra preservatives and being self-sufficient feels good. Gardening is a great way for me to exercise and get into nature daily. I just planted my indoor garden this weekend, although walking to the basement isn't much exercise LOL

Secondly, has anyone watched on Netflix "How to Live to 100: The Blue Zones" - I was watching it and my 18-year-old son sat down and watched the entire thing with me. It was REALLY GOOD!!!! The guy has been tracking the blue zones around the world and tracks what it takes to be 100. Texas is on the right track. It doesn't involve any hard work outs or anything crazy.

petepaz

I'm only 49 and I have arthritis in my knees per my last doctor visit. I can't kneel very long and if I do I have to wear knee pads. I bought a platform type ladder and it's helped tremendously for lettering trailers and cube trucks. I'm pretty active outside of work, I have a lot of hobbies. I would say I'm much more active than most people I know - mostly busy work but I do my own snow and grass, landscaping, etc.

The mental health for me is more of an issue. It is difficult working alone each day especially when there is a crabby customer or something goes wrong. There's nobody to vent to. I feel very blessed that I've stayed so busy but at the same time, it's mentally draining day in and day out, working at full-speed, going home knowing that the next day is the same. Two sign shops have closed in my vicinity over the last few months. Both owned/operated by women and both locked the doors because they could not handle the stress of the fast pace. Neither of them will answer the phone/email for customers to get their artwork. They both litterally got mad and locked the door and never returned a single phone call or email. Now, many of those customers have come to me. And they are crabby because I don't have their artwork and they have to wait for service.

Last week a large company came in Monday. He said a lady was retiring that day so I needed to go there Tuesday and re-do two frosted glass doors with new names, etc. I said...the rest of my week is booked and I don't even have the vinyl in-stock. He said, "It's December, you aren't busy. It took the other sign shop 10 minutes and she was done. She always came the next day." I told him, he has to wait - he was pissed (and who is this guy to tell me I'm not busy in December?). Almost every new customer has been this demanding and crabby. It had become quite depressing for me over the last month, constant arguing, constant interruptions, saying no, etc., trying to get artwork, explain things, people can really be jerks.

However, there is a silver lining, a few of these new customers came in a few months ago already and were basically kissing my a$$ to try and fit them in. They both turned into great customers and the customers they have recommended to me have been great to work with also. I just need to weed out the bad ones and focus on the good ones, which I'm working on doing going forward into the new year. And my January is booked already with vehicles but tomorrow is my last vehicle of the year and the next couple weeks I scheduled very little so I can enjoy Christmas and breathe a bit.

There's my vesting for the week, I feel better now! LOL
Stacey, unfortunately the mental strain will always be there but if it makes you feel better that will be where ever you work or whatever business you own. i will say being healthy physically helps your mental health as well. it still can be annoying but if you are busy then you can tell the annoying customers to hit the road if they are that bad. as far as the arthritis try to stay hydrated, use ice for inflammation when you get home and heat before bed to help with blood flow which will help with healing. if it is truly arthritis it wont go away but you can make it more manageable/less painful. also look in to some stretches that might help as well (yoga really helps if you have time for it. it will help physically and mentally)

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Lost my dad to crohns , he went the natural/diet route, no medication and ended up with liver failure as the inflammation spread there. Keep a close eye on it, no joke disease that affects you 24/7

It does.. if you let it get out of control things can turn bad real quick. I'm not against the medicine, I'll get on it if I need to... but the less time I have to take the hard stuff the better.

gnubler

Do I want to have 10 minutes in heaven eating panda express orange chicken
Pretty sure that's not "chicken".

Years ago I wanted to start a spoof campaign boycotting Panda Express, because pandas are special and endangered and fat Americans should not be frying them up for supper.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'm only 49 and I have arthritis in my knees per my last doctor visit. I can't kneel very long and if I do I have to wear knee pads. I bought a platform type ladder and it's helped tremendously for lettering trailers and cube trucks. I'm pretty active outside of work, I have a lot of hobbies. I would say I'm much more active than most people I know - mostly busy work but I do my own snow and grass, landscaping, etc.

The mental health for me is more of an issue. It is difficult working alone each day especially when there is a crabby customer or something goes wrong. There's nobody to vent to. I feel very blessed that I've stayed so busy but at the same time, it's mentally draining day in and day out, working at full-speed, going home knowing that the next day is the same. Two sign shops have closed in my vicinity over the last few months. Both owned/operated by women and both locked the doors because they could not handle the stress of the fast pace. Neither of them will answer the phone/email for customers to get their artwork. They both litterally got mad and locked the door and never returned a single phone call or email. Now, many of those customers have come to me. And they are crabby because I don't have their artwork and they have to wait for service.

Last week a large company came in Monday. He said a lady was retiring that day so I needed to go there Tuesday and re-do two frosted glass doors with new names, etc. I said...the rest of my week is booked and I don't even have the vinyl in-stock. He said, "It's December, you aren't busy. It took the other sign shop 10 minutes and she was done. She always came the next day." I told him, he has to wait - he was pissed (and who is this guy to tell me I'm not busy in December?). Almost every new customer has been this demanding and crabby. It had become quite depressing for me over the last month, constant arguing, constant interruptions, saying no, etc., trying to get artwork, explain things, people can really be jerks.

However, there is a silver lining, a few of these new customers came in a few months ago already and were basically kissing my a$$ to try and fit them in. They both turned into great customers and the customers they have recommended to me have been great to work with also. I just need to weed out the bad ones and focus on the good ones, which I'm working on doing going forward into the new year. And my January is booked already with vehicles but tomorrow is my last vehicle of the year and the next couple weeks I scheduled very little so I can enjoy Christmas and breathe a bit.

There's my vesting for the week, I feel better now! LOL
Running a small business is mentally draining. No doubt there are more stressful jobs out there and also less stressful ones. There are some strategies taught in sales and business classes to knock it down a notch, the telemarketing companies also do the same. In the mornings, don't listen to any talk radio, no news, no social media. Listen to upbeat music and have a plan for the day. Personally, I wont answer the phone in the morning until I have already got things rolling. The annoying 7am "not trying to rush you but....." calls can really knock the wind out of your sails. You tell people it's going to be a week and they are calling you the next day. Then you get the ones who drop by. It drives me insane, half my day is wasted with nonsense. Don't these people know that we all need time to keep up with S101?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
This is true, and worthy of full acceptance. But some of these IPA's have snuck 9% abv in there, which I thought was reserved for mad dog and the like!

I've always been more of an Andy, but with Ron's pessimism.
You're Joan Callamezzo passed out on the floor.

gnubler

Running a small business is mentally draining. No doubt there are more stressful jobs out there and also less stressful ones. There are some strategies taught in sales and business classes to knock it down a notch, the telemarketing companies also do the same. In the mornings, don't listen to any talk radio, no news, no social media. Listen to upbeat music and have a plan for the day. Personally, I wont answer the phone in the morning until I have already got things rolling. The annoying 7am "not trying to rush you but....." calls can really knock the wind out of your sails. You tell people it's going to be a week and they are calling you the next day. Then you get the ones who drop by. It drives me insane, half my day is wasted with nonsense. Don't these people know that we all need time to keep up with S101?

Yes. I've tried all sorts of methods to deal with this, and often I found it was me not enforcing my own boundaries.
I changed my shop hours to only six hours a day open to the public. Beyond that the door is locked and I do take appointments sometimes. The people that just wander in and want "a sign" and have zero information are usually a waste of time.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Yes. I've tried all sorts of methods to deal with this, and often I found it was me not enforcing my own boundaries.
I changed my shop hours to only six hours a day open to the public. Beyond that the door is locked and I do take appointments sometimes. The people that just wander in and want "a sign" and have zero information are usually a waste of time.
Ah yes, the wandering daydreamers. We get them all day long. I wish I had the time they have to screw off. I usually keep the office locked but they will knock on every door until I open it up.