• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your Physical Health

mfatty500

I haven't had a hangover since JBurton was born, maybe even longer.. But I don't hit it like I used to, it was nothing to knock out a case of beer in one sitting, now if I have a 6-7 a day that's alot, sometimes a few more than that, but not to often.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Covid regime helped us bring people into the world of appointments (just like all the barbor shops around me now do). Walks ins are frowned upon.
Music not talk, yep, hate listening to political voices on the way in, and have a decent set of speakers around the production area. I let amazon prime (hate that I use amazon, but...) play me music throughout the day. Even though the iPad it's connected to has mic turned off, there are times it'll switch from Jonny Cash, to Cyprus Hill, just as I'm on the phone, or talking to a walking time vampire.
Colleagues, and regulars will send me an email before walking in, when Bach is playing, and will come back later if there is a requiem mass playing.

Lost a fair amount of strength in my right arm, playing basketball with my son after work - rotor cuff - mostly healed after six months. Tennis elbow on the left arm (no, don't play tennis), did the same. Trying to plan how to handle a 30kg log of laminate during those times was very un-fun.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Running a small business is mentally draining. No doubt there are more stressful jobs out there and also less stressful ones. There are some strategies taught in sales and business classes to knock it down a notch, the telemarketing companies also do the same. In the mornings, don't listen to any talk radio, no news, no social media. Listen to upbeat music and have a plan for the day. Personally, I wont answer the phone in the morning until I have already got things rolling. The annoying 7am "not trying to rush you but....." calls can really knock the wind out of your sails. You tell people it's going to be a week and they are calling you the next day. Then you get the ones who drop by. It drives me insane, half my day is wasted with nonsense. Don't these people know that we all need time to keep up with S101?
I like the idea of not answering the phone until I have things ready to go for the day - that's a great idea! Always music in the morning and then I'll do some fictional podcasts or serial killer podcasts if I'm doing mindless work.

I certainly don't want to sound ungrateful! The last couple months I've had probably 40-60+ new customers (directly from the closed shops) call or walk in and the two school districts - I'm just a one-person shop, it's impossible for me to take all that on, or even get back to everyone in a timely fashion. Several days I went home and I had not gotten a lick of anything done --- it's a terrible feeling.

As I'm typing this, yet another guy just stopped with his trailer and is yelling about how the other shops won't answer their phones, arms waving. I'm like, "I'll stop you right there...they both closed, you will not hear anything back from either of them." His jaw dropped and I had to repeat myself 3 times and tell the story for the 61st time LOL

I can only do so much so it's a matter of getting a plan together and weeding out the bad guys and the smaller jobs going forward. And little tips like the phone thing!!!!

petepaz

I like the idea of not answering the phone until I have things ready to go for the day - that's a great idea! Always music in the morning and then I'll do some fictional podcasts or serial killer podcasts if I'm doing mindless work.

I certainly don't want to sound ungrateful! The last couple months I've had probably 40-60+ new customers (directly from the closed shops) call or walk in and the two school districts - I'm just a one-person shop, it's impossible for me to take all that on, or even get back to everyone in a timely fashion. Several days I went home and I had not gotten a lick of anything done --- it's a terrible feeling.

As I'm typing this, yet another guy just stopped with his trailer and is yelling about how the other shops won't answer their phones, arms waving. I'm like, "I'll stop you right there...they both closed, you will not hear anything back from either of them." His jaw dropped and I had to repeat myself 3 times and tell the story for the 61st time LOL

I can only do so much so it's a matter of getting a plan together and weeding out the bad guys and the smaller jobs going forward. And little tips like the phone thing!!!!
might be time to hire an assistant. that would definitely help lighten the load and lighten the stress. even if it's just someone who can answer phones and or deal with walk ins. take info down and then you can get back to them later. that would give you time to get physical work done and not have as much multi-tasking. we have a full print shop, silk screening, digital printing, flexo printing, die cutting, doming with about 35 employees and still find it hard to multi task some times

JBurton

Signtologist
might be time to hire an assistant. that would definitely help lighten the load and lighten the stress. even if it's just someone who can answer phones and or deal with walk ins. take info down and then you can get back to them later.

This, and never provide soft numbers or promise to turn around a quote in a day.

gnubler

Something I learned from my boss at the 1st sign shop I worked at. Never let them know how quickly you can change a design.
Not just that, but sometimes I can get an order done on the same day, if it's something I can sneak in with something I'm already doing. I NEVER give the customer that benefit and will let their order sit and wait for the normal minimum turnaround.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I scratched another year off my life clock this week, so there is no more 'getting old', just 'being old'. It is not so bad. I can work as long as I used to be able to do, just not as quickly. I work so slowly on some projects that if I worked for me I'd fire myself. Luckily, I am irreplaceable so I have job security for now.
Sleep is something I need to fix, waking up tired is no fun. 3 to 4 hours vs 6 to 8 does not seem to make a difference. Don't want to fix it too well just yet and turn it into a one-way trip.

JBurton

Signtologist
I scratched another year off my life clock this week, so there is no more 'getting old', just 'being old'. It is not so bad. I can work as long as I used to be able to do, just not as quickly. I work so slowly on some projects that if I worked for me I'd fire myself. Luckily, I am irreplaceable so I have job security for now.
Sleep is something I need to fix, waking up tired is no fun. 3 to 4 hours vs 6 to 8 does not seem to make a difference. Don't want to fix it too well just yet and turn it into a one-way trip.
Happy Birthmas! Gift yourself a sleep study, the worst thing that could happen is you get more sleep... Or call up the doc for some ambien, just hide your keys for the first couple of weeks.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Happy Birthday!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Happy Birthday!!! Have you tried smoking marijuana before bed? I heard it helps, although I cannot confirm as I don't do it.