• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your Physical Health

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Have you tried smoking marijuana before bed? I heard it helps, although I cannot confirm as I don't do it.
Placebo at best. It can make sleep worse according to actual health studies, you have to ignore the industry propaganda. It lowers your REM sleep and causes other sleep issues. If that is your thing, do it a couple of hours before bed so it starts getting out of your system before you actually go to sleep.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Placebo at best. It can make sleep worse according to actual health studies, you have to ignore the industry propaganda. It lowers your REM sleep and causes other sleep issues. If that is your thing, do it a couple of hours before bed so it starts getting out of your system before you actually go to sleep.
I'm not kidding...I really don't do it. I'll keep my opinions about it to myself lol

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Modern weed is way more powerful than back in my youth. Haven't touched it for a couple of decades, but I do still miss the rituals of rolling.

Slightly intrigued by a client who extols the virtues of microdosing shrooms - they were always far gentler than acid.

mfatty500

I have never smoked a cig,or any weed in my life, I can't stand the smell of it, but my sister makes me some gummies (with dope from the weed store), that I eat before going nite-nite, and for a little mild neuropathy, and I sleep pretty damned good, thank god. I have sleep apnea also, but my machine takes care of that.

gnubler

I think weed is a lot more powerful than people think. I don't care that it's legal.
No kidding. Every time I drive into Spokane it smells like a city of burning tires and skunks. One could be blindfolded and know they have arrived.
Boudica must have a constant contact high...

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I'm thankful I don't have any serious physical injuries. But 40 years of working with computers along with drawing/painting stuff has definitely left me a bit on the near-sighted end of the spectrum. Thankfully my eyesight is still pretty good, especially the color acuity side. However it is reaching the point where I'm gonna have to wear glasses when driving at night. My distance vision is starting to go to hell.

I strongly agree with the earlier posts about getting exercise. I'm in my mid 50's but am in pretty good physical shape. I look forward to working out at the gym, especially if the work day has been stressful. Lifting weights can be therapeutic both physically and mentally. When I'm finished with a good workout I've all but forgotten about anything that pissed me off earlier in the day. A good workout helps me sleep better at night.

Another thing that drives me to exercise: bone loss. The phrase "if you don't use it you lose it" is true in many ways. The human body literally starts trying to take opportunities to quit and die when you're still a teenager. I've talked to drill sergeants at Fort Sill that have complained about all the recruits with stress fractures that happened during basic training because the kids didn't go outside to play when they were growing up. That's backwards from when I was a kid. When I was 12 I was breaking my collarbone in one stunt and then my arm in another. Thank God my Dad had military benefits! We didn't have Atari yet.

But bone loss happens big time when people get older unless you do something about it. The human body actively tries to find ways to atrophy both the mind and the body if you don't work them. The difficult thing is when you're in your 50's it's pretty easy to injure yourself. So rather than working out harder you have to work out smarter.

The mental thing matters too. I have to be able to maintain my concentration (and sanity) when doing design work. We have the most obnoxious door bell "chime" for our front office door. It's part of the security system. This thing just does a loud, electronic "deet-deet-deet-deet-deet" noise that tries to stab your brain. The noise happens when the front door is opened and it goes off again when the door is closed. Some people will want to hold the door cracked half open, yakking away with one of my co-workers while making the door bell go off constantly. Rather than taking an X-Acto blade with me up front to turn that customer into a piece of red modern art I have my $350 pair of Sony noise cancelling headphones to save the day (and that guy's life).

Seriously, it's nice to have a good pair of headphones and music of your own choice pumping thru them to drown out all the other work-related racket. I have set of Jabra noise cancelling ear buds I take to the gym. Good music makes workouts go so much better. I got a free 3 month trial of Amazon Music Unlimited. I might end up keeping that and cancelling Netflix or Max when the trial is up. I have a pretty big collection of compact discs, but I've been using this Amazon Music trial to stream a lot of stuff I don't have in my collection.

Last edited:

DL Signs

Never go against the family
As far as the pot thing goes, I don't partake anymore, but the wife has MS and uses it. That disease is mainly "treating symptoms", and it helps with some of the stuff that conventional meds don't work for, and there's a lot of meds she can't take anymore because they were taking their toll on her liver. There's one symptom called the MS hug, makes it difficult to breathe, like a house got dropped on the chest. They've tried dozens of different drugs for it, and nothing helps, except pot. It does have medicinal value in the right scenario. She's smart, only uses it when she needs to, from the 30 years she's been battling MS, she understands how meds can fail from over-use.

My health is just shot, period. I had a motorcycle wreck back in the early 90's that's still taking a toll on me. I have arthritis bad from that, and crawling around concrete floors in the body shop in my young days. I was diagnosed with PMR several years ago, another joint disease, yay. Some day's it's not easy getting out of bed. I walk the dog whenever I can, sometimes I think that's one of the few things that keeps me upwardly mobile. I retired to take care of the wife, and because I was having such a hard time functioning. Even my drumming days are pretty much done, now I just sit in with local bands for a song or two from time to time. My eyes are going from staring at computer screens for 30+ years, one heart attack so far, memory is gettin' sketchy... The list goes on. When we're young, we think nothing can stop us, and never really take care of ourselves like we should. I was probably one of the worst at thinking I was indestructable, and paying the price for it.

My golden years ain't so shiny, but I keep plugging along. I think coming out of retirement and going back to work was the best decisions I ever made. Keeping up isn't easy, but I still feel useful, the mental aspect of that makes up for a lot of the physical limitations, gave me back some sanity, and a better attitude. So you're all stuck with me till the rest fails. Take care of yourselves all you young-un's. Cheers :toasting:

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm thankful I don't have any serious physical injuries. But 40 years of working with computers along with drawing/painting stuff has definitely left me a bit on the near-sighted end of the spectrum. Thankfully my eyesight is still pretty good, especially the color acuity side. However it is reaching the point where I'm gonna have to wear glasses when driving at night. My distance vision is starting to go to hell.

I strongly agree with the earlier posts about getting exercise. I'm in my mid 50's but am in pretty good physical shape. I look forward to working out at the gym, especially if the work day has been stressful. Lifting weights can be therapeutic both physically and mentally. When I'm finished with a good workout I've all but forgotten about anything that pissed me off earlier in the day. A good workout helps me sleep better at night.

Another thing that drives me to exercise: bone loss. The phrase "if you don't use it you lose it" is true in many ways. The human body literally starts trying to take opportunities to quit and die when you're still a teenager. I've talked to drill sergeants at Fort Sill that have complained about all the recruits with stress fractures that happened during basic training because the kids didn't go outside to play when they were growing up. That's backwards from when I was a kid. When I was 12 I was breaking my collarbone in one stunt and then my arm in another. Thank God my Dad had military benefits! We didn't have Atari yet.

But bone loss happens big time when people get older unless you do something about it. The human body actively tries to find ways to atrophy both the mind and the body if you don't work them. The difficult thing is when you're in your 50's it's pretty easy to injure yourself. So rather than working out harder you have to work out smarter.

The mental thing matters too. I have to be able to maintain my concentration (and sanity) when doing design work. We have the most obnoxious door bell "chime" for our front office door. It's part of the security system. This thing just does a loud, electronic "deet-deet-deet-deet-deet" noise that tries to stab your brain. The noise happens when the front door is opened and it goes off again when the door is closed. Some people will want to hold the door cracked half open, yakking away with one of my co-workers while making the door bell go off constantly. Rather than taking an X-Acto blade with me up front to turn that customer into a piece of red modern art I have my $350 pair of Sony noise cancelling headphones to save the day (and that guy's life).

Seriously, it's nice to have a good pair of headphones and music of your own choice pumping thru them to drown out all the other work-related racket. I have set of Jabra noise cancelling ear buds I take to the gym. Good music makes workouts go so much better. I got a free 3 month trial of Amazon Music Unlimited. I might end up keeping that and cancelling Netflix or Max when the trial is up. I have a pretty big collection of compact discs, but I've been using this Amazon Music trial to stream a lot of stuff I don't have in my collection.
I have Amazon Music (free version) and I pay for Spotify and my son shares it so I have some great play lists, metal, rap, 80's. I started listening to fictional or Dateline podcasts while at home and I very rarely even turn the TV on or look at my phone. I will get immersed in the Podcast and find things to clean or do, sewing, painting, some kind of creative outlet. I also bought some earbuds for summer so I can garden and listen to whatever I want without bothering the neighbors. I think you will really like Amazon Music, the unlimited or getting Spotify is worth it, IMO.

I have heard about the young people having stress fractures, it's a real thing like you are saying. Glad my kids spent summers baling hay LOL

Stacey K

I like making signs
I smoked some weed back when I was younger but once I met my husband and decided to have family and get married, I stopped.

If I was in pain or had some kind of disease or like DL's wife with MS - 100% for doing whatever kind of drug helps! Mom son took gummies for a bit when he was having some sleep issues.

I've known quite a few people and dated a couple (back in my younger days) that as soon as work was done they smoked a bowl. Then they sat down on the couch and did nothing. Then Saturday morning came around and they smoked a bowl. And then did nothing or started drinking around noon. Then they wonder why they are going nowhere in life. Hmm, could it be because you are high all the time?

At least do cocaine if you are going to do a drug, then you can at least continue to be productive.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
When I operated 9 printers at once and did a lot of color matching, I found having a little toke helped me out; I could spend 2-3 hours trying to hit Johnston Murphy grey, then take a 30 min lunch and smoke, then come back and nail the color withing 10-15 minutes.

I quit getting baked during work when I started getting jobs that could have me in front of ownership or high level execs at any random time.

I once got hit by a car and broke a rib without health insurance, eating half a weed sucker was the only way I could sleep through the pain.

gnubler

Glad to hear people getting ripped in the sign industry. Gives me hope for the future.
Pretty sure it's due to the nature of the job. When I worked in commercial printing it was rare to work with a press operator who wasn't on the 'rough' side. Most of them were obvious substance abusers. I can only think of three that weren't crackheads, and all three were super-Christians who either read the Bible during long press runs or had headphones on listening to Christian talk radio. I usually tried to avoid interacting with ALL press operators if at all possible. :p