• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your thoughts on New business card

tintguy31794

I'm not arguing with any of you guys I respect each and every opinion. I do want to say that in my mind the card reads very well. I don't see the clutter that is so obvious to you guys. I'm not afraid to admit that i'm a guy with no design skills in a business that requires me to design. Its not the job I signed up for, but it is the job that supports my wife and baby boy. I have the ability to do some things for family that I would like to take advantage of.. like these cards.

I love the card signmaniac it is very easily read and I just really like it. Business cards are not like road signs.. they are there and most people will read them... Road signs you have a 2 second window to get their attention and the information across I don't feel the same about business cards.

I appreciate all your post! Briankb I have listened and I have applied several small fixes that were mentioned, (like no red +black and better spacing and i've shrunk the phone numbers in slightly to keep them from being stretched as mentioned above) Please don't assume the worst of idiots like me.

Edit: He actually turns his cell off immediately when he gets home so that is why they put their home number on there.

Last edited:

dman0427

Stick with black and white first, then play with color. You have too much crap on yours. Why do you need both home and cell numbers anyway? They have cell phones with them everywhere, so do away with the home numbers. Here's a simple approach.

That design should pretty much end the thread! :thumb:

Good job SignManiac

OldPaint

you need to listen to us old guys/gals on this one. but yet YOU PERSIST in wanting to use every thing you can throw on a 2 INCH X 3 INCH card!!!!!!!!
THE OLD CARD IS BETTER.............yours was designed by this old line:
if you cant dazzle em with you're brilliance............then you BAFFLE EM WITH BULLSCHIT)))))))))
better off remembering this one:
LESS IS MORE!!!!!!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
30 years invested in his business deserve more than a 5 minute layout...

You have:
---Poor layout
---legibility issues
---if you have to use outlines to make the card legible, it may not be effective.
---no brand/identity
Just image with type slapped on top...

You keep reminded everyone you are not a designer... I would spend more time studying the design process...

Almost always, if you get better at design, you make more money for you, your wife and baby boy, and maybe a few toys...

Not a solution, but by giving some thought to identity, concept, and some research, you might have something more than just a card, but a system worthy of wearing and using on vehicle graphics, flyers and other marketing ideas. At the very least, add to your portfolio and get some practice in.

Attachments

• WHITESDRY.jpg
    WHITESDRY.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Rick

oh, and for the heck of it I printed it out on my laser printer on good paper and my inkjet with photo paper... it really looked bad.

Always print out a business card layout before sending it out....

SignManiac

Rick's advice is dead on, particularly with regards to making more money through better design. A good card can lead to expanded advertising revenues.

Outstanding rework Rick!

Last edited:

Jim Doggett

You have:
---Poor layout
---legibility issues
---if you have to use outlines to make the card legible, it may not be effective.
---no brand/identity

You keep reminded everyone you are not a designer... I would spend more time studying the design process...

Almost always, if you get better at design, you make more money for you, your wife and baby boy, and maybe a few toys...

Not a solution, but by giving some thought to identity, concept, and some research, you might have something more than just a card, but a system worth of wearing and using on vehicle graphics, flyers and other marketing ideas. At the very least, add to your portfolio and get some practice in.

Wow! Love it!!! The retro quality oozes years in the trade. Bravo

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Old Paint is dead on.

Rick's version is damn near perfect. You should ask him for a quote and move on to something else.

artsnletters

Ricks take is spot on. Pay the man and use it. An absolutely killer original design.
I was gonna say that a photo showing a room with rough drywall is kind of silly....EVERYONE knows what drywall entails...no pic needed. BUT....Ricks design illustrates it nicely with an lil whimsy retro feel.
Tim

tintguy31794

You guys are all great, I'm uploading a new attempt at making my brain think like yours.

If this attempt fails as miserably as the last one :D. Then I will definitely see about paying Rick.

I found it tough finding clipart for drywall, it might be because I have no clue what the tools are called and I simply search for "drywall".

I tried my best to not %100 copy the layout of signmaniac, while accomplishing the same end result as his.(in my mind... hope its yours too lol)

Edit: My goal was to have something personally given to him, but i'm not stubborn I want him to have the best that he can get.

Attachments

• White101.pdf
    384.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

SignManiac

Your font choices and the size of them still need work. Every font has a unique personality. You need to spend more time studying the ones that designers use. It's no accident that they use the ones they do. Keep that in mind when designing.

Jillbeans

SignManiac cleaned it up, and Rick stole the show.
His has charm, a sturdiness, and a whole lot of class.
When I do a bizcard I put all the chit-chat on the back, I try to make the name and what they do stand out on the front.
Rick's makes me want to call that guy to come fix my drywall upstairs.

fmg

You have:
---Poor layout
---legibility issues
---no brand/identity

Not a solution, but by giving some thought to identity, concept, and some research, you might have something more than just a card, but a system worthy of wearing and using on vehicle graphics, flyers and other marketing ideas. At the very least, add to your portfolio and get some practice in.
Love the card!! Great bit of retro design there.

Circleville Signs

Your last attempt shows your inexperience even more than the first few. You are designing for someone who installs drywall, correct? This is a profession where precision is necessary, correct?

Why would you choose a font that is not precise to try and convey this message?

Rick's design is stellar. Simply stellar. Buy it from him, charge your client, and let them thank you over and over again.

Rick

I do agree there is a lot of clutter. Double face cards are not that much more....

When you practice, you will start collecting quite a few ideas, I rarely recycle on real jobs but you might be able to use as your old ideas (once you have collected enough) as a foundation for other clients.

Here are rejected layouts/logos with a drywall twist. The idea is the same as the last... develop an identity, use clip-art sparingly and only as decoration (I am not a big fan of clip-art), not as the logo. Tie it all together with balanced use of type.

About learning design...
I was mentored, my early mentors were ruthless... one mentor even got a drawing I was very proud of, tore it up, threw it on the ground and stomped on it, I have been laughed at, yelled at, cut down, and other things when I was learning to design, but I also made up excuses for my poor work, like many newbies do. Once I got the idea of learning the principles they were teaching me, and the process of design... My work greatly improved...they don't laugh anymore.

Attachments

• Whits dry-2.jpg
    Whits dry-2.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 56

Fatboy

Your last attempt shows your inexperience even more than the first few. You are designing for someone who installs drywall, correct? This is a profession where precision is necessary, correct?

Why would you choose a font that is not precise to try and convey this message?

Rick's design is stellar. Simply stellar. Buy it from him, charge your client, and let them thank you over and over again.

Read his posts first Circleville.

Fatboy

I do agree there is a lot of clutter. Double face cards are not that much more....

When you practice, you will start collecting quite a few ideas, I rarely recycle on real jobs but you might be able to use as your old ideas (once you have collected enough) as a foundation for other clients.

Here are rejected layouts/logos with a drywall twist. The idea is the same as the last... develop an identity, use clip-art sparingly and only as decoration (I am not a big fan of clip-art), not as the logo. Tie it all together with balanced use of type.

About learning design...
I was mentored, my early mentors were ruthless... one mentor even got a drawing I was very proud of, tore it up, threw it on the ground and stomped on it, I have been laughed at, yelled at, cut down, and other things when I was learning to design, but I also made up excuses for my poor work, like many newbies do. Once I got the idea of learning the principles they were teaching me, and the process of design... My work greatly improved...they don't laugh anymore.
Top right hand is a masterpiece in my opinion

tintguy31794

Wow, I am stunned. I definitely love the layouts and I've got a long way to crawl to get close.

Thank you all for your time and thoughts.