• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

$15 bucks.......................... wha....................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay.......

Maybe this has been written about, but what's your take on some flat-top burger flipper or someone who can't give you the right order making $15. an hour ??

Really, is fast food worth that much personnel-wise ?? I don't mind them getting more as I only ever eat at Chick-fil-A on occasion, so it ain't gonna affect me in the least, but just when they get the cost of their stuff down to a buck or two for all those down on their luck and can't afford junk food, they're gonna have to go to about $10. for a single burger if employees basically double their wages.

A job like that.... is it really worth $15.00 to start out ?? There's no room for growth within the company.

I always thought if you worked there, it wasn't a career choice, but a place to work until you figured out what you wanted to do.... like get a real job. :rolleyes: Sure, you can go in, learn the ropes and gradually climb the corporate ladder and maybe someday, buy the place. But this way, ya ain't gonna do squat because $15. an hour won't give anyone any initiative to do any better then to flip burgers or pour the wrong flavor milkshake into a cup.

Wanna super-size that ?? Uhh, let me do the math on that. Hey Marty, she gave me an extra 12¢ with her ten dollar bill and her bill only came to $9.12....... What should I do ?? Give her 2 more packets of ketchup and an extra straw??

fresh

$15 an hour is not arbitrary, it is the amount someone needs to make in order to support themselves working full time. Your tax dollars subsidize their low wages and the artificially low cost of fast food.

This is not a hard or alien concept. What don't you understand?

petepaz

the problem is the older people with families that are out of work are having to take these minimum wage jobs now because that's all that's available and they can't support their families on minimum wage. i do feel bad for these people but that doesn't change the value of the job. it's still a minimum wage job. now should the minimum wage go up periodically? i think that should increase a little bit with the cost of everything else. in the same respect though i don't think they can put an unknown % that it must increase (by law each year) how can you run your business not knowing what you are going to have to pay your employees and what if business is bad that year now you have to give everyone a raise but you don't have the business to justify it.

FatCat

Mimimum wage is what $7.25-$9/hr depending on what state you work in. $15/hr is almost double what these types of jobs pay. How would most of you like your employee who works for you say they want a raise of 2X what you are paying them now, because they don't feel you're being fair with them?

Personally, I feel that these types of jobs were always for a certain type of worker (high school/college kid, stay at home mom wanting to earn extra money, or a retiree). Most of them are only part time anyway. Not something that anybody should walk into thinking they are going to raise a family of 4 on. If you work your way up the ladder, become asst. Manager, Manager, etc. you will make more money, but that takes time. Some of my friends did just that. In fact, one of my buddies just RETIRED from Krogers at the age of 40 with benefits because he started bagging back when he was 16!!!

So, I say it all depends on the point of view of the person you ask. If you want to support a family of 4 or more, live in a decent house and drive a nice car, a job bagging groceries or flipping burgers may not be a wise choice. Might want to look into something else. Oh, and if McDonalds does raise the minimum salary to around $15/hr expect your Big Mac to double in price as well...

Just something to think about.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay folks.......

Forget the junk food places. Heck, ya shouldn't even be in there eating that crap anyway. If you weren't... they'd have to take a job which requires skill and THEN where would they be ?? Oh yeah, that's right, they can work for a sign shop.

How many people here at s101... have dismissed people casue they can't weed, tape up, read a ruler or do a little math in their heads to find center ?? Yeah, and on top of that, how many are going to pay out at $15 bucks an hour to find Sparky can't do jack squat ??

Y'all talk big, but you wanna pay someone who can't even flip a burger without dropping it on the floor $15, but you won't pay a skilled laborer more than $10 or $12 to start because they don't meet your expectations. Give me a break. You talk out both ends and only one of them makes sense. You do realize that minimum wage means you ALSO have to pay at least that for your employees. All of our people make well over that except for one part timer. I ain't gonna pay more than I have to. I pay a person what they are worth, not what they wanna do with their money. Whatever it is they do Friday night after cashing their check is on them. Go to the bar, go pay the phone bill or put some money down on a new boat. Our lowest paid person when she got a raise went out and bought two bikes for two of her 4 kids. She paid like $5 a week for months on them, but really she could barely pay the electric bill, but had to keep her phone bill going cause she was constantly texting. Really an important task, even on breaks. It's not my fault or responsibility to keep her in any tax bracket. If I can't afford her.... or anyone for that matter, I must stop using them until I find someone who can make me money. Make me money, I pay you. Make me good money and I pay you good. Simple, but so true.

So, tell me again why someone who can't do diddly needs to double their income. If I did that to my customers, I'd lose them on the very next order. I'd lose everything and why.... because I'd be living beyond my means.

GWSigns

I'd lose everything and why.... because I'd be living beyond my means.

THAT is one of the key issues, everyone wants to have what Joe and Sandy down the street have, but they do not want to step the steps to get it.

Yes, I just finished my BA at a ripe old age and am beginning my Masters in the spring. I finally decided I could no longer wait on an employer to pay me what I am worth, so I am putting myself in a position to own my own business so I get what I work for.

Does the fast food push to $15 an hour irk me? Yes it does, because I do not even make that! I CAN support myself and 2 kids with what I make, but I do not have a lot of the items in my life many consider important. I drive a 1997 car (fully paid for) my TV reception is through the converter box and rabbit ears - I do not have $100 a month for TV. My cell phone is just that, a cell phone, no internet, no data, just a phone.

I do my level best to "live within my means" but prayerfully my "means" will increase over the next few years so I can get that new car, or even have 1,000,001 tv channels.

What I do have now, a job I enjoy, a healthy family, and the love of God which grants me the common sense to not dig that debt hole deeper or that the world owes me just because I am breathing.

Just sayin, *pushing the soap box back to the corner*

Safe and happy weekend to all.

Craig Sjoquist

I don't care about the economy etc.....If you want to make more hour get a education in a skill & get a job.

While your there at that low income job, do your best & you will progress & earn more in the mean time.

Still need more create your own income & do your best

MrSalumi

$$15!!! Freeloaders.. I think they should work for $1 dollar. That way I can continue to enjoy my bigmac for 4 bucks! And don't tell me you can't afford to buy the basic necessities like 4 dollar bigmacs when you make a dollar an hour.

Whats the harm in paying them more. We pay more for sh1tty nutritionless food so they can actually live decent lives'. I say pay them more!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
In a black and white world where every choice is clear, one either wants a system of free markets and meritocracy or one wants controlled markets and a higher minimum standard of living for everyone. In a gray world, however, where every choice is muddled by a litany of special interests, choices aren't so clear. Do I think it is right that many people work long and hard and still cannot pay their basic bills? No. Do I think that a large number of these same people could improve their lot by improving their skills and seeking better employment, or by organizing collectively to force management to pay better, or even developing their own enterprises instead of remaining in a job that doesn't pay enough? Yes. Do I think government should intervene and mandate a change? No.

And then there are the unintended consequences (some good some not so good) of a $15 an hour minimum wage:

• There would be a dramatic round of inflation as wages went up and the cost of goods followed ... eventually leaving those earning the new minimum wage still unable to pay for basics.
  • The economy would be disrupted causing harm to many who otherwise were not involved.
  • Competition would dictate the elimination of many jobs either by outsourcing, automation, or lower standards of service thus increasing unemployment.
  • More currently unemployed with better skills than those currently employed would end up replacing those with less skills leaving the least able to compete for a job without self generated income. There certainly wouldn't be a place for young people just starting out to flip burgers until they could find a "real job".

Personally, it wouldn't bother me to pay $10 for a double quarter pounder or $20 for a dish of spaghetti and meatballs or a bucket of fried chicken. That would be fine if that's all that was effected. But since it wouldn't solve the issue of a living wage for those at the bottom of the earnings ladder and would, inevitably, have much wider unintended consequences, I do not see how a government ordered mandate of a $15 an hour minimum wage can be supported by anyone thinking clearly.

TammieH

No fast food jobs were not meant to support families, but people have to work where they can

With high unemployment and the fact that jobs have been sent overseas for near slave labor, these are the jobs left over.

Not everyone is college material, not everyone can run their own business...so what is left?

So what are these people supposed to do, its their right to fight for better wages, agree or not

$15 an hour. Isn't much..I make $17.50 and I am forced to work a second job to make ends meet.

We sure can't expect these people to survive on $7 -$9 an hour...but yet these people are forced to, getting a second job
is not easy, to find one; and then to find one that fits your crazy fast food chain schedule, my heart goes out to these people
who are one paycheck away from the street.

Who knows what the answer is?

SignosaurusRex

In a black and white world where every choice is clear, one either wants a system of free markets and meritocracy or one wants controlled markets and a higher minimum standard of living for everyone. In a gray world, however, where every choice is muddled by a litany of special interests, choices aren't so clear. Do I think it is right that many people work long and hard and still cannot pay their basic bills? No. Do I think that a large number of these same people could improve their lot by improving their skills and seeking better employment, or by organizing collectively to force management to pay better, or even developing their own enterprises instead of remaining in a job that doesn't pay enough? Yes. Do I think government should intervene and mandate a change? No.

And then there are the unintended consequences (some good some not so good) of a $15 an hour minimum wage:

• There would be a dramatic round of inflation as wages went up and the cost of goods followed ... eventually leaving those earning the new minimum wage still unable to pay for basics.
  • The economy would be disrupted causing harm to many who otherwise were not involved.
  • Competition would dictate the elimination of many jobs either by outsourcing, automation, or lower standards of service thus increasing unemployment.
  • More currently unemployed with better skills than those currently employed would end up replacing those with less skills leaving the least able to compete for a job without self generated income. There certainly wouldn't be a place for young people just starting out to flip burgers until they could find a "real job".

Personally, it wouldn't bother me to pay $10 for a double quarter pounder or $20 for a dish of spaghetti and meatballs or a bucket of fried chicken. That would be fine if that's all that was effected. But since it wouldn't solve the issue of a living wage for those at the bottom of the earnings ladder and would, inevitably, have much wider unintended consequences, I do not see how a government ordered mandate of a $15 an hour minimum wage can be supported by anyone thinking clearly.

:goodpost:
See "Newton's Third Law" regarding action-motion, then compound.

I do not see how a government ordered mandate of a $15 an hour minimum wage can be supported by anyone thinking clearly.

"Common Sense" ain't so common.

As a biz owner, I have always taken pride in compensating my hired help well. I'm afraid that the unintended consequences may change my ability to do so in the future. The best I can hope for is that the cream will continue to rise to the top. Otherwise .............?

Locals Find!

Okay folks.......

Forget the junk food places. Heck, ya shouldn't even be in there eating that crap anyway. If you weren't... they'd have to take a job which requires skill and THEN where would they be ?? Oh yeah, that's right, they can work for a sign shop.

How many people here at s101... have dismissed people casue they can't weed, tape up, read a ruler or do a little math in their heads to find center ?? Yeah, and on top of that, how many are going to pay out at $15 bucks an hour to find Sparky can't do jack squat ??

Y'all talk big, but you wanna pay someone who can't even flip a burger without dropping it on the floor $15, but you won't pay a skilled laborer more than $10 or $12 to start because they don't meet your expectations. Give me a break. You talk out both ends and only one of them makes sense. You do realize that minimum wage means you ALSO have to pay at least that for your employees. All of our people make well over that except for one part timer. I ain't gonna pay more than I have to. I pay a person what they are worth, not what they wanna do with their money. Whatever it is they do Friday night after cashing their check is on them. Go to the bar, go pay the phone bill or put some money down on a new boat. Our lowest paid person when she got a raise went out and bought two bikes for two of her 4 kids. She paid like $5 a week for months on them, but really she could barely pay the electric bill, but had to keep her phone bill going cause she was constantly texting. Really an important task, even on breaks. It's not my fault or responsibility to keep her in any tax bracket. If I can't afford her.... or anyone for that matter, I must stop using them until I find someone who can make me money. Make me money, I pay you. Make me good money and I pay you good. Simple, but so true.

So, tell me again why someone who can't do diddly needs to double their income. If I did that to my customers, I'd lose them on the very next order. I'd lose everything and why.... because I'd be living beyond my means.

Now I gotta weigh in here. These employees make these operations BILLIONS of dollars. That isn't a typo. McDonalds alone is one of the Worlds Largest Corporations. So, these workers deserve better pay.

The whole mindset of Fast Food jobs require no skill is a myth. The same skill set that is required of a Waitress, or any employees at a Chilis, Applebees, or even an Olive Garden. Is the the same skill set in any Fast Food Joint. Explain to me why a "cook" at a Chili's makes $12.50-$15 an hour for microwaving some crap that gets handed out with a higher price tag and slapped on a plate is any different than that same crap microwaved at a fast food joint and tossed in a box?

The skills are the same. The Fast Food companies pay low wages to keep profits high. They prey on the unfortunate. These jobs aren't staffed by college and high school kids anymore but by the unemployed who lost their jobs to chinese children oversees who are looking for any work they can find to feed their families.

If these companies can make billions in profit from these workers it's only fair they pass down enough in salaries to keep these workers alive and clocking in.

Back in 1997 McDonalds was paying over $15 an hour for workers in my area because, unemployment was so low and they still increased profits over 5% a year. I know this for a fact as the owner of the Local Franchise here has his office next to mine and he still brags about the massive profits he turns. The ROI on that dollar burger is way better than anything we produce. The dollar menu was born around the same time, so that alone proves they can increase wages keep the same prices and turn a more than fair profit margin for their investors.

MikePro

mcdonald's was founded-by, and still makes its money today on, automation & efficiency.
the employees have their part, turning the wheel, but fast-food is one-click away from simply being a vending machine with a few more moving parts.

just plain ole' american entitlement at it's finest here.
these employees have chosen to live-off of minimum wage, and should get back to work before someone else that is willing to show-up and push a button/broom takes their place. ...sad to say, but, there is no skill or labor involved here. they learn their role, they do it a bunch of times a day, and they collect their check. its a job. If you're still making minimum wage after a year, then you must be doing something wrong. If not, somehow, and you feel unappreciated, then improve your situation and apply for that Applebee's job because you've now got experience and you're a go-getter who go-gets a better job.

If anything needs to be done, its to raise minimum wage as a whole. ...or work your way up through your 6-month McD's performance reviews/raises/promotions like everyone else has spent years doing.

Last edited:

Techman

So, these workers deserve better pay.

Bullscat,, no one deserves anything. We get is what society will pays us. This sense of entitlement is about the worst thing that has happened to our society. MC d's makes money because they innovated and automated the entire kitchen. 10 years ago they had one person pour some fries into a basket and drop them all day long. Now they have a machine do that.. The entire life cycle of a human is to get up , rise up and over come. Not get a hand out.

Oh, as for the 15 an hour? This will be the biggest job killer in history. The poor will suffer like never before. 15 an hour is a stupid demand proposed for mere political favor.

Years ago i trained to be a baker. Yes as in bakery. I was an expert cake decorator, pastry chef, breads and what ever else made in a bakery. Good pay and great work.

One day in walked a projector and out walked my paycheck. Automation dictated the shop could get a 16 yr old kid who could trace the lines and decorate a wedding cake. I saw the light. Went back to school and got a real trade.

Today we have Kripsy creme with a 16 yr old counter girl producing and selling donuts for minimum wage while a machine makes donuts as fast as someone can load dough mix into a blender. Where it once took a trained person with a good paycheck it now just takes a perky 16 yr old.

Want to see what a hamburger place will look like in a few years if $15 an hour goes into effect? Simply walk into a Krispy Creme and watch the machines run while miss tight jeans boxes up a product. That will be the answer to the 15 bux an hour demand. Two people working for 15 an hour instead of nice people working. Jobs are destroyed when a person costs more than a machine.

binki

I was a manager at 2 different large fast food chains and I can tell you that labor can be up to 16% and not much more of your cost to be profitable. There are only 2 ways to get that percent, have fewer workers or pay them less. That is it, nothing political, religious or moral about it. Just economics.

Status
Not open for further replies.