• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2013 International CorelDRAW Design Competition entries are in.

Joe Diaz

The 2013 International CorelDRAW Design Contest entries are in. Here is what I submitted: http://coreldraw.com/media/p/195408.aspx Check out some of the other entries. Some pretty cool stuff this year. Be sure to rank them and leave comments.

Also, since my entry was kind of designed to be looked at up close (there is a lot of detail work) and the images on the Corel site are kind of small, I figured I'd post some high-res versions of the design(s)

http://diazsignart.com/photos_to_post/Our_Volition_Compassion_High_Res.jpg
http://diazsignart.com/photos_to_post/Our_Volition_Corruption_High_Res.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Pat Whatley

Incredible work Joe. I love the way with this and the Stella's ad there's enough really good Victorian era sign design (combined with the great concepts and illustration) to add an air of authenticity to them.

Poster time!

Joe Diaz

Absolutely Killer!

I'm taking it Bioshock was the inspiration for this one?

Oh yeah, that and Iron Giant, Dave Smith, among a bunch of other stuff. Funny thing is though, I started on this before the new Bioshock came out. At the time I was thinking Venice, but after playing through it, I'm sure it influenced the final product. I think that's where the idea of having signs all over the buildings came from.

I've been using Corel for quite a while and I hate to say I still have so many things to learn. YOU, my friend are an inspiration to learn those things! Bravo! :thumb:

Those are terrible. Please stop making art. Haha!

Really, these pieces are just amazing. Others may disagree with me, but I think these blow Stella's out of the water. The detail is incredible and although I'm not into whatever game was mentioned, I love the theme here. I would pay top dollar to frame nice prints like these. Can you possibly elaborate on these with some stats? I'm interested to know how much time was invested as well as how many curves are in these images. Maybe you could post a wireframe image?

iprint

Those are terrible. Please stop making art. Haha!

Really, these pieces are just amazing. Others may disagree with me, but I think these blow Stella's out of the water. The detail is incredible and although I'm not into whatever game was mentioned, I love the theme here. I would pay top dollar to frame nice prints like these. Can you possibly elaborate on these with some stats? I'm interested to know how much time was invested as well as how many curves are in these images. Maybe you could post a wireframe image?

Great work! I enjoy your style. I too am curious how much time was put into these.

Joe Diaz

I too am curious how much time was put into these.
That's a tricky one to answer. I anticipated being asked this question, because I was asked that same question a bunch on the design I entered in the last contest they had. So I started keeping track but the farther I got into it, I began to realize how futile my efforts of tracking my time was. The main reason is I would work on this off the clock. 15 min here, half an hour there. Rarely I would spend more than 2 hours on it, and even if I did keep track of all those hours I spent, as you probably already know, you can get a lot more accomplished working 4 hour strait then eight 30 min sessions. Plus most of the work was done at home with the TV on, so I would be distracted by something happening on TV, then hit it hard during commercial breaks. LOL. I'm guessing here, and this is a huge stab in the dark...
maybe 80 hours :covereyes:???

SignManiac

The level of complexity in them, I see eighty hours being no problem at all. Time flies when you're having fun!

Marlene

it was fun to see your FB posts with a little piece at a time. really awsome Joe. you are such a major talent

clicked on the high res and that is a must do! love the way you have part of the neon out so the sign says "HATE". so cool