• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m 8518

HulkSmash

The last 8-10 rolls of 8518 we've gotten has seemed REALLY short.
I'm talking i open the box, and 1/3 of it isn't there. I really hope for their sake they aren't short changing me on lam.

Had an issue a few months ago where i was doing a fleet... matching Lam to vinyl perfectly with amount used.. had about 65 feet of vinyl, and 0 lam. Grimco reimbursed me....but i really hope they're not trying to pull a fast one on us.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
My buddy got shorted on 3m IJ 380 with matching lam kit from Fellers. Nobody would do Boo for him.....We print and match up rolls ourselves. Will def. keep an eye on it!
thanks for the heads up!!

FatCat

I think I read that they changed the liner to something much thinner. I've gone through 2 rolls of 8518 this month and both seemed smaller diameter and the liner did look thinner.

FWIW

Typestries

Exact same thing here. When my guys opened the box, they came in and got me, you could tell right away by the size. It was 30 some feet short!

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Just checked a roll we got in from Grimco....short...uggh. Emailed my rep and asked about it. Not their fault....but if 3m is shorting like that. Do we have to be aware of ALL the materials now and really keep on it?? That would really suck!

Border

Sounds just like what they do at the grocery markets. Keep the price the same but gradually reduce the sizes of everything! "shhh, nobody will ever notice..."

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I've also noticed they changed the packaging on 180 CV3 rolls a bit. Nothing major though. The tubes are still a bit too thin and they still use freaking ultra insane permanent bonding tape to attach it to the tube. :frustrated: Thats always a joy when you are pushing a job darn close the the end of the roll and forget to be paying attention when it's nearing the end..... of course no printer is capable to severing that insane bond.

OlsonSigns601

I had the same issue.

I'm basically new to wraps so I don't know for sure how well we did with the print to lam ratio, but I do know we printed more than we laminated as a few of the prints were just to get the color profile adjusted and messing around with it.

However we ran out of Lam with two 7' sheets to laminate still. Had to make a special trip to the warehouse to get another roll of Laminate to get the job done and I've always been wondering if we just screwed up or if we were short.

I'm thinking we were shorted after reading all this.

signage

Sounds just like what they do at the grocery markets. Keep the price the same but gradually reduce the sizes of everything! "shhh, nobody will ever notice..."

In the grocery store the mark the weight on the item just put less in the same size box! No contact you states weight a measure department and they will get fined big time if it is short!

signage

I have a feeling you actually do that.

I guess you like getting hosed. When I purchase something that is to be a certain weight or length I expect to get at least that weight or length! If 3M shorten every roll by 10% that is a huge money making scam. Why do you think they have a department of weights and measures?

TwoNine

Where is 3M on this one - like Colorado mentioned? I cannot believe they haven't chimed in yet. Then again, if it is true and they are shorting rolls - what would you even chime in about? "Yeah - we're ripping you guys off...."? This is crazy. I'll be paying attention to this thread for sure.

I hope they aren't just hoping/waiting for this thread to die.....

3M!!!! You there?

:popcorn: