• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

a simple question...about borders on signs going into frames...

gabagoo

I know this is a pretty lame question considering I have been in business for over 25 years, but I don't think I have come across this in all that time.

So I have some interior designer who ordered 20 - 2 post frame signs... I now get the artwork and it has a 1" orange border around the edge of the sign. These will be going into 2 post frames that have those 1" thick black frames.
I just feel because this is an interior designer that she is really going to scrutinize these signs. I can't guarantee that when they go in the frame that the border will line up perfectly. Would you suggest they remove the border or just go ahead and do them and hope for the best.

Normally if I were to have designed these I would never put a border on them.

Johnny Best

Sounds like you need to get a frame and see how much space the frame covers your panel.Then figure out how wide the orange border needs to be made so as to show just 1" all the way around.

gabagoo

Sounds like you need to get a frame and see how much space the frame covers your panel.Then figure out how wide the orange border needs to be made so as to show just 1" all the way around.

yea I know, but that would require math!!! lol

Cunning Linguist

You said...
I can't guarantee that when they go in the frame that the border will line up perfectly.

Let me answer you by asking you this: Can you afford to re-make them if/when they don't line up?

Or................. Don't let the Interior Designer dictate your sign design, unless of course he/she is willing to go with your window treatment of choice!

Just Sayin'

Billct2

So the black frame of the sign kit will stay black, and the orange stripe is inside that?
In that case we would put a 1.5" inch orange stripe that goes .5" (aprx) behind the frame.
And let them know that because the panel has to float in the frame the orange border may vary very slightly.

MikePro

are they hung-up on having the black frame AND inner-orange-border?
if it's possible that they just want an orange border, maybe just paint/vinyl the frame orange?

otherwise, measure your v.o., apply vinyl accordingly, and throw a pop-rivot into the frame/panel to make sure your frame stays centered/aligned.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The logical thing to do would be to call her, explain her misconception and show her a quick mock up of what will happen, if she follows through with said files. Obviously she hasn't thought this through and with your 25 years expedience... you can look like a hero, so she can redesign her artwork. :wink:

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Never fails when someone sends "ready to go" artwork for a real estate frame, and either they have some stupid border which will get covered up on one side (or both) or they have all their text running right up to edge. If we are able to edit their file, and send a revised proof, they usually say "the text looks smaller than what I sent you"....and then you have explain to them what common sense should already tell them...grrr

gabagoo

I put a blank in the frame to see and as I thought the frame does not cover the blank evenly and that now makes me wonder if they differ frame by frame... I sent her a quick mock up showing the frame covering the thick border..... as I said it really is a non issue, but borders in steel frames just don't do it for me