• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ACM What is it?

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
I have a customer that want's me to reproduce the sign on his building in a smaller version to bring to trade shows.
He wants something lightweight and durable. He wasn't really happy with .040 aluminum or Luster Board type materials.
I was thinking of 3/8" or 1/2" PVC but have never seen or worked with ACM.
Would this be a good choice? Can it be cut with a jigsaw?

Dan360

Aluminum composite, very common and good material for signs. It can be cut with a jigsaw but you'll get a better cut with a skill saw. Panel saw is the best way to cut it.

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
Aluminum composite, very common and good material for signs. It can be cut with a jigsaw but you'll get a better cut with a skill saw. Panel saw is the best way to cut it.

Thanks, the shape of the sign has curves in it and would be difficult to cut with a Skilsaw.
How thick is it?

Dan360

Standard is 3mm, but you can get thicker if you need. I had to cut some curves in 6mm with a jigsaw and you just have to clean up the edges with sandpaper after.

TimToad

Thanks, the shape of the sign has curves in it and would be difficult to cut with a Skilsaw.
How thick is it?
It comes in 3mm (1/8") as standard with a solid polyethylene core. The thicker depths are usually fluted like coroplast but much thicker. It is sometimes used as architectural panels. A few brands sell 1/4" with a solid core.

It cuts really nicely into custom shape with a scroll saw and fine metal blade. Or if you have access to a CNC and multiples to cut, its really nice to knock out shapes with.

TimToad

It comes in 3mm (1/8") as standard with a solid polyethylene core. The thicker depths are usually fluted like coroplast but much thicker. It is sometimes used as architectural panels. A few brands sell 1/4" with a solid core.

It cuts really nicely into custom shape with a scroll saw and fine metal blade. Or if you have access to a CNC and multiples to cut, its really nice to knock out shapes with.

Billct2

ACM would be OK for this application. You will have to sand the edges after cutting, and if they drop it, it won't break. I would use 1/2" gatorfoam for tradeshow signs a lot. It's light and strong, but can be broken of mishandled.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While ACM has all the properties these others have mentioned, I really don't think of it as something for a trade show. First of all, if they drop it, you ruined it. Gator and PVC won't dog ear and are so lightweight, you'd have to be a real klutz to drop it. If this is going to be attached to a tradeshow booth wall, then you don't want any heftiness to it at all. It could fall and hurt someone, too.

Last edited:

Marlene

How far does he travel for these trade shows? Have you considered a nice banner, not a cheap plastic shiny one but a nice one that can be rolled, transported and stored. If he really wants a mini sign, why not make it from routed HDU as it will be seen close up and would look nice.

TimToad

How far does he travel for these trade shows? Have you considered a nice banner, not a cheap plastic shiny one but a nice one that can be rolled, transported and stored. If he really wants a mini sign, why not make it from routed HDU as it will be seen close up and would look nice.

A couple of well designed retractable banners can really be effective and regardless of the shape and size of the booth, are easily moved, stored and adjusted for maximum visibility.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, nothing says it more than a buncha $50 banner stands at your booth...... or for you high end guys... $107.00

Yep, 7', 2D rectangles. That's the ticket.

Scott18

If you go with ACM be aware that different brands use different thicknesses of aluminum on the faces (and some manufacturers have more than one 'grade' of ACM available). We use ACM for some of our graphics and we cut it with a Zund router bit, and some of the thicker versions of the aluminum faces cut very messy and need a lot of post cut sanding and clean-up. Also be aware that despite it's looking strong and sturdy, it's really not hard to dent or warp ACM, and it's very easy to mangle the corners if you set it down on a corner.

Martin Denton

Buy one with a .3mm skin (they come in thicknesses of 0.15mm skin, 0.2mm skin and 0.3mm skin) we use these all the time and they route and cut fine. Use a fine tooth metal blade in a jigsaw and this will give you a decent edge also. You can buy a hand deburrer tool (very useful) to run along the edge or just use the edge of your knife. We make 90% of our signs from acm.

rjssigns

Does the client have a fabric covered booth wall? I've done second surface prints on matte finish styrene then attach to the wall with Velcro dots. Looks nice and the print can be rolled up and stored in a tube.