• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ahoy from New Zealand

paxas

Hi to all you signies out there, I have been involved in the industry for about 30 years. Going from painting boards in my fathers sign shop with lead based paints advancing to hand lettering on his signs as an apprentice, trying to master the art of writing "C's ,O's & "S's" that looked like the real thing. Copying typefaces from the " Letraset " book of Fonts feeling like I was cheating, but then along came the overhead projector to make me a real "cheat". The world changed when the Roland Camm-1 was invented, You might say it was the Gerber B ,but that was for rich people who could afford $500 for a font. Vinyl is great stuff isn't it? Skip forward a bunch of years and its now : "ink is the new king".
It's like going from the stone age to star trek in 20 years with this industry, but hey some things don't change,today I have been back hand-lettering honours boards in gold leaf ! Not a computer in sight.

http://www.signs101.com/forums/images/smilies/rock-n-roll_headbanger.gif

Jillbeans

Fancy that! I am wearing my JBFX t-shirt from New Zealand this morning.
Not that I've ever been there. Given to me by Elvis himself.
I am a sign painter too, in fact I am sore today from a ladder job I did yesterday.
Welcome from Pennsylvania.
Love....Jill