• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alloy Mill Finish Aluminum - Does it need to be clear coated?

fresh

I have a rush job on some aluminum letters. Typically we'd order from Gemini, but their turn around time has much to be desired. Anyway, I can get flat-cut letters from 1/4" "alloy mill finish aluminum" in a few days. My question is should we clear coat the letters for outdoor use? If so, what one-part clear can we use?

Thanks!

Techman

what kind of aluminum?
Plain old aluminum will tarnish no matter what. And after time the particles of tarnish will run and cause stains.
Special road sign alloy will still change a little.

Billct2

Personally I wouldn't trust mill finish to look good for as long as the client would be expecting them to, which is forever.
I would clear coat them with a good 2 part acrylic poly.

tbullo

Superunknown
Straight to mill finish. We letters these with 3m vinyl and reflective. Just clean it real good. There is a fine oily coating that must be wiped off.

fresh

I thought these were cut aluminum letters, 1/4"
Gemini letters are usually anodized or painted.

we've ordered plain brushed aluminum letters from Gemini, and they come with a clearcoat (not painted/anodized). But I'm not ordering them from Gemini since their turn around is over 3 weeks right now, and instead I'm ordering them from Harbor, who can CNC pretty much anything. I am inquiring about if the material needs to be clear coated or if using it "raw" will be acceptable.

Billct2

Just because an alloy is ok to use as a substrate doesn't mean it will look good long term as finished letters.
The surface probably isn't going to be a nice finish either.
I've done some like this in a pinch and gave them a "brushed" finish with a sandpaper block and then cleared them.
Not as good as Gemini but passable.
Or paint them

visual800

while all this talking of what method will work is great here is the only thing I really noticed....RUSH JOB. This is not a job you rush. If I were in your shoes I would tell them to carry on to someone else or they can wait for the correctly done product. There is absolutely no sense in jobs being rushed. This is because of poor planning on someones part and all that weight and extra work will be on your shoulders.

It took me all these years to realize when i get these calls they can be sent packing OR they can wait till the job is done correctly. My 2 cents sir

John L

It took me all these years to realize when i get these calls they can be sent packing OR they can wait till the job is done correctly. My 2 cents sir

There's one more option though, and it's my personal favorite.. Charge a premium for the rush. I do it all the time. Charge for your trouble and you'll love jobs like this.

CanuckSigns

There's one more option though, and it's my personal favorite.. Charge a premium for the rush. I do it all the time. Charge for your trouble and you'll love jobs like this.

In this case it's not a matter of money, it's time. You can charge a rush fee all you want, the client is still getting a inferior product. I would be up front with the client, tell them the proper product requires a 3 week lead time, the proper product comes with a lifetime warrantee and is guaranteed to look great. Or you can get a product with a faster turn around, with no warantee, possibly a crappy finish, and let them choose which route to take.

Have you tried telling Gemini you need them sooner? I have always found them to be very accommodating to me. they just turned around a project for me of 45 flatbed printed stainless steel plaques in 1.5 weeks, made me look like a rockstar to my client!

Attachments

• Canadian Steel Association plaques.jpg
    Canadian Steel Association plaques.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 112

fresh

1. The letters are being installed 30 feet up, so its not like anyone is going to be closely inspecting them for tiny pit marks in 5 years.
  2. This is part of a HUGE job that should have been finished over 2 months ago. The owner keeps adding stuff to for the GC to do, and the GC wants to be done ASAP. If we can get it done two weeks earlier, they will choose that option over what is conceived as a "premium product."
  3. We are talking about FLAT CUT ALUMINUM LETTERS. They want plain "silver" letters. If they were supposed to be painted or a different finish, I obviously would not have asked about clearing the raw material.
  4. I'm pregnant with twins, due in TWO weeks, and I want to get this job done before I leave!!! My client wants us to finish this yesterday!
  5. I can get the letters in 3 days from my supplier. Gemini won't give me a ship date until after I place the order, which I obviously won't do without knowing when I can have them in hand. The most I've been able to get them to move up any order is 2 days. So, 7-9 days for production, 1 day for proof approval, 2 days for shipping = 10-12 days - 2 days = the fastest we MIGHT be able to get them is in 8 days. That's still pretty much a week later, and not acceptable.
  6. Are you really suggesting that people who have CNC machines will order this exact type of letter from Gemini and not cut them themselves? The MINUTE we get a CNC, I'll be cutting my own letters every day. EVERY DAY!!! I'll cut all the letters!

Also thank you to everyone who offered real help. You're the best!

John L

In this case it's not a matter of money, it's time. You can charge a rush fee all you want, the client is still getting a inferior product.

I dont wish to stray the topic but.. Nah, I will disagree with you. Myself, I could drive to Baltimore to get the sheets, cut and prep these letters at our shop, drive to Richmond, Va. and have them clear anodized, spend the night in a hotel, and meet my guy for the installation on the way back. It's all about the money. In my scenario the project takes about 72 hours from go. If I anodized in house then it would be 24 hours until we are installing the still warm letters. But it's not cheap.

J Hill Designs

1. Are you really suggesting that people who have CNC machines will order this exact type of letter from Gemini and not cut them themselves? The MINUTE we get a CNC, I'll be cutting my own letters every day. EVERY DAY!!! I'll cut all the letters!

I have a CNC, but still order aluminum letters from gemini - its not worth the wear and tear on MY machine

:thumb:

I have cut (1/2") aluminum ONCE on my machine, but only because they were too large for gemini to polish

fresh

[/LIST]

I have a CNC, but still order aluminum letters from gemini - its not worth the wear and tear on MY machine

:thumb:

I have cut (1/2") aluminum ONCE on my machine, but only because they were too large for gemini to polish

But in a pinch, and for the right price, I'd bet you'd do it again :) Also, these are only 1/4".