• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

American Made sign substrates????

Hi All!
Haven't been here for a while...that's a good thing, I've been busy! I was wondering if any of you know if there are any sign substrates that are made and produced here in the USA?
As far as I can tell, China pretty much dominates the substrate market.
I have vowed to only buy American Made products or local services for Christmas gifts this year and I would also like to streamline my business to as much American Made products as possible.
Probably in the wrong business for that?? :unclesam:

Joe Diaz

Yeah you might be. Our goal is to buy quality. if we can get those quality products from American manufactures, great. But when we have good luck with a certain brand, we continue to use them, and unfortunately some of those aren't produced here.

Our vinyl and print media isn't from China, but it's not from America either. I pretty sure it's made in Germany. We also use a lot of alu-panel which I think comes from the UK. But I'm pretty sure our sheets of aluminum are American made.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Laminators Inc is right here in PA (Alumalite, Dlite, etc)
Love...Jill

You're not gonna believe this, but we got a few orders from a supplier of Alumalite.... the same stuff you're talking about and it was labeled very odd. One side it had all the Alumalite logos plastered all over the face of it, but on the second side, which this was double sided material, it had one Alumalite logo in the one corner and in very small lettering running from end to end one line only, it said:

Made In Chine Made In Chine Made In Chine Made In Chine Made In Chine Made In Chine Made In Chine Made In Chine

We brought this to the vendor's attention and he couldn't explain it. Sounds like we're not getting what we think we're getting and someone forgot to re-laminate their logo on a skid or two of Alumalite panels. I think we're all being spoofed as to what we're really getting.

HulkSmash

I'm in the same boat as joe. As much as i'd love to buy locally or american made.. it's not always the best product... so I can't.

signmeup

A semi interesting side note... China makes most of the planets supply of aluminum by a factor of 4 times more than the second biggest, Russia. Canada is third. Australia 4th. US is 5th.

andy

You're not gonna believe this, but we got a few orders from a supplier of Alumalite.... the same stuff you're talking about and it was labeled very odd. One side it had all the Alumalite logos plastered all over the face of it, but on the second side, which this was double sided material, it had one Alumalite logo in the one corner and in very small lettering running from end to end one line only, it said:

Made In Chine Made In Chine Made In Chine Made In Chine Made In Chine Made In Chine Made In Chine Made In Chine

We brought this to the vendor's attention and he couldn't explain it. Sounds like we're not getting what we think we're getting and someone forgot to re-laminate their logo on a skid or two of Alumalite panels. I think we're all being spoofed as to what we're really getting.

If you are buying a lot of composite from the same Chinese factory they'll switch one of their coating lines to run nothing but your custom printed carrier film, no problem.

If I wanted to start selling "GinoLITE UK" all I've got to do is create the cover film design I want and email it to the factory, they'll do the rest. When I open the shipping container I'll see a pile of Chinese generic composite which has been coated with a tasteful carrier film which mentions UK as often as possible.

Given that most customers will never ask to see my factory and won't demand a certificate of origin I've gambled that "GinoLITE UK" is all I need to create the impression that my composite stock doesn't come from China.

In your case it looks like the Chinese left one of their stock rolls of carrier films in under coating feed assembly... the top of the sheets have been covered with the "right" film.. the bottom has been covered with whatever the Chinese normally use.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you are buying a lot of composite from the same Chinese factory they'll switch one of their coating lines to run nothing but your custom printed carrier film, no problem.

If I wanted to start selling "GinoLITE UK" all I've got to do is create the cover film design I want and email it to the factory, they'll do the rest. When I open the shipping container I'll see a pile of Chinese generic composite which has been coated with a tasteful carrier film which mentions UK as often as possible.

Given that most customers will never ask to see my factory and won't demand a certificate of origin I've gambled that "GinoLITE UK" is all I need to create the impression that my composite stock doesn't come from China.

In your case it looks like the Chinese left one of their stock rolls of carrier films in under coating feed assembly... the top of the sheets have been covered with the "right" film.. the bottom has been covered with whatever the Chinese normally use.

Zactolly. We're all being duped.

Ever hear the story about Zactolly ?? :clapping:

rfulford

I want to say the new Microgreen Incycle product is American made but I can not confirm that looking at their web site. It is a nice product though. Made from 60% recycled PET and completely recyclable as well.

signage

Probably cut down, cut up, shipped to China, and then sold back to us for less than the original people sold it for.

Back in the Late 70's early 80's this was done but by the Japanese, they undercut US bidders and they laughed saying it would cost more for them to ship it to Japan mill and ship back. But those smart Japanese jut went out into international waters and tied ships together and did all the milling and sold back to the US!