• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another Big Squeegee Video

TheSnowman

I had to lay down a 4' X 4' today, so I figured I'd shoot a little video for the few remaining doubters that this tool actually works, and hopefully make a few more sales for Dale.

This was the original Big Squeegee that I bought probably three years ago. Now, I looked in the corner and I have 12 of them over there. Every size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVyjuKdTEiA

trakers

Man I wish I could get mine to work like that. What brand of vinyl are you using?

Everytime I try that exact method I have to push so hard (with 2 hands even) and it stretches the vinyl.

Last edited by a moderator:

gabagoo

Man I wish I could get mine to work like that. Why brand of vinyl are you using?

Everytime I try that exact method I have to push so hard it (with 2 hands even) and it stretches the vinyl.

sounds like your backing paper is not releasing easily. Could be the brand or a static issue. You can use one hand to pull the backing paper and the other toguide the squeegee although it takes a little practice.

I had 20 32" x 48" digital prints last week and no word of a lie. It took me less than an hour to put all 20 down and they were all clean. better than anything we could have done with a conventional squeegee and hinging.

This morning I used it to laminate about 35 various sized prints and once you figure out your own system it runs very smoothly every time.

John L

Thanks for posting the video. I like the BS, have all the various sizes, and use mine occasionally... but only occasionally cause I dont print everyday.

I notice that in most videos I have seen demonstrating the BS, most folks lift the trailing edge (edge closest to your body) like you did during the push. I think I have even seen a video posted where the inventor did the same. I wonder why the BS isn't just designed with a wedge base, or trailing wheels, etc to accomplish the angle that this somewhat awkward grip provides?

trakers

Yes, I find 210 virtually impossible, so then I try to pull the backer off with one hand and one side of the BS lifts and creates a 6" wide bubble or even worse, 1,000,000,000 1/16 inch ones.

Love the thing but it is really a bear with 210lam

TheSnowman

Yes, the 210 Lam sucks bad...but it can be done, I do it lots.

That print was just on a temp sign, so it was just Oracal 3621. The cheaper stuff normally lays down easier than the expensive stuff.

Static can be a KILLER, and actually, as I pulled the liner up over my head...I got several small zaps to the face. I generally don't have trouble with this type material though, it lays down real nice, and bubble free.

Yes, that is carpet. Does no one have carpet in their shops or what? The whole office is that. I do 4' X 4's and 4' X 8's on the floor, and up against that post, because I have a 6' X 8' table, and I can't get good leverage to push evenly all the way across, and it's just me laying them down. I've always pushed the substrate up against something, so that I don't have to worry about that pushing while I push on the vinyl.

Mosh

Next time you need to add that music that is in the DVD that comes with the BS. Cheap knock off of "highway to the danger zone" We sing that while using our BS's!!

Duh Duh Duh Duh, HIGH WAY TO THE SQUEEGIE ZONE, Duh Duh Duh Duh!
If you have seen it you know what I am talking about!

BTW, two people on 210 lam works great, one pulling the backing and one running the BS! Simple!
I think it is because the backing is so thin, it is a pain for long stuff for one persone.

ALSO, I have some tables for sale so you don't have to work on the floor. AND you need to clean your shop LOL!

jiarby

OK I see now!

We do large swaths of 210 with two people. One just holds the end of the liner so it stays put and the other walks the squeegee down the print. As long as the first guy holds the liner the leading edge where we are squeegeeing will not hit the print.

In the back of my brain I have been thinking of some kind of clip/clamp that I can use to grab the edge of the backer and keep it at the starting point. Tape doesn't stick to the silicone. Maybe a rare earth magnetic chip clip clamped on the table?

Last edited:

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Nice job Kraig! Thank you.

The post looks like a good way to go. It seems to me that the post would absorb the static so the substrate does not attract the loose fibers as much. The down side is that the backing folds the wrong way as it goes up the pole. You had to straiten it out with your free hand to complete the install.

I'll get this added to my web site here in a few minutes.

I am putting the videos in my web site on separate pages so that the contributor can get a link to their site or whatever other advertising they want on the page.

Last edited:

JR's

Sweet! But on the carpet? My knees would be killing but on the other hand I would not have to buy a big table.

Thanks for sharing :)

JR