• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying large Pieces of Vinyl To a Dance Floor

Signprinters

Hey guys, So I have a customer who would like us to lay down vinyl to cover an existing dance floor 24' x 24'!!! Does anyone know of an over sized floor squeegee designed for something like this, or any other ideas on how to easily do this would be greatly appreciated!!!

No Name

What kind of material are you planning on using and does it come with a ASTM rating for slip resistance??

This will be interesting.
Slip resistance on a dance floor?!:omg:

I always thought that dance floor should be "slippery"

Sorry:rolleyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There is another thread already going about this very topic. Maybe you could learn some things from that one.

As for a dance floor being slippery....... any serious dancer does not want a fast dance floor, unless it's hip hop or some other form of it so they can do their tricks. Serious minded dancers literally grab the floor with their shoes and feet and when the floor is slippery, it's a very dangerous surface. Anyone with sense in their head will not go on a slippery floor. Drunks and clowns will, but then consider the source.

If the floor has anti-slip laminant, it too will probably prove disasterous. The best dance floor for dancing is just a wooden floor with absolutely no wax on it. No dance wax, sand or any of that stuff.

The best idea so far was as someone mentioned about putting a banner or backdrop with a logo or slogan on it and hanging it on a wall. Heck, then it can be used over and over.

Anyone slip on some kinda floor graphics and the lawyers will have a field day with you being the person that purposely put it there. Even though you were contracted to do it, you should also be the same professional that explains that its a liability that you cannot accept, unless you're a glutton for punishment.

No Name

As for a dance floor being slippery....... any serious dancer does not want a fast dance floor, unless it's hip hop or some other form of it so they can do their tricks. Serious minded dancers literally grab the floor with their shoes and feet and when the floor is slippery, it's a very dangerous surface. Anyone with sense in their head will not go on a slippery floor. Drunks and clowns will, but then consider the source.
The best dance floor for dancing is just a wooden floor with absolutely no wax on it. No dance wax, sand or any of that stuff.

Maybe I´ll go to a polka class then.

I`ll get mi coat and get out -o-here.

Bye.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Maybe I´ll go to a polka class then.

I`ll get mi coat and get out -o-here.

Bye.

I know some very serious minded Polka Dancers and they have the same attitude towards dance floors as the others.

Good bye​

Billct2

One of my daughters dances competitively at the national/world level and the floors are always a material called "Marley".
I also have a friend who designed a new portable dance floor/stage and he also covers it with Marley as the final surface.
You definitely don't want a slippery surface, but also not a "sticky" surface.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance_surface

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Bring over a piece of clear laminate and apply it in a corner somewhere out of the way so they could try it first.
My guess is that most types of lam would be unacceptable.

MikePro

I know some very serious minded Polka Dancers and they have the same attitude towards dance floors as the others.
Good bye​

Random fact you guys might not know about me.....I just so happen to be a Polka-dancer (well, past 18yrs, recently "retired")
traveled the world performing, and not once had I wished the floor was "slippery"! you're twirling your partner, running/dancing in circles, and never expecting your feet to suddenly go out from underneath u.

that being said, someone slips/falls & hurts themselves... they're not gonna blame the dance floor, they're gonna blame whomever put that slick decal on it. Someone once even thought it a good idea to use a dry-ice fog macine for "effect", when all it did was coat the floor with slippery dew & cause one girl to break her arm.

T_K

Apparently you've never been country-western dancing. You want a mildly slick floor - it's why they nicknamed it "boot scootin". Down here in Texas, they throw beeswax down on the hardwood floors to make it a bit more slippery. But you also don't want too much. You still need some friction to keep from looking like that drunk who only gets out during the Electric Slide.

I'd agree with you on the liability. I know they make floor graphics that are made to be walked on, but dancing is a totally different thing. Now, the lawyers should be going after the liability insurance for the customer, since it's his dance floor. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't go after the sign shop that did the graphics.

I'd have to hear more details about the dance floor to give much more of an opinion on materials. Doesn't matter what squeegee you use, it's gonna take a while to install.

Andy D

I'm not sure if it's the same for dance floors, but I know that applying graphics
to basketball courts is a huge no no, everything must be painted and
then varnished.

JoeBoomer

I'm not sure if it's the same for dance floors, but I know that applying graphics
to basketball courts is a huge no no, everything must be painted and
then varnished.

My friend installed vinyl graphics on the floor for the All Star game in San Antonio a few years back. I'll find out what material / prep and let you guys know.

boxerbay

we did a dance floor for one night bat mitzah with oracal 631 matte black 30" and a die cut ESPN knock off logo in ij35 + gloss lam. unfortunately no one was injured. :)
we just used an extra wide 3M power grip CPA-1 felt squeegee and some knee pads.

we've also done a 20x20 floor for a Latin TV show set. high traffic so we used high tack vinyl 3105HT + 10mil polycarb textured laminate. they had a band and three ladies dancing salsa on it at at every commercial break. unfortunately no one was injured either. Although we did have to do a repair. One of the ladies high heels lost the pad on the tip and it was just a metal nail sticking out the bottom of the shoe. but the show must go on. tore up the floor covering in that section and we printed a patch for it.

if its for a permanent install use ASTM rated laminate and a base vinyl with permanent adhesive.

gabagoo

we did a dance floor for one night bat mitzah with oracal 631 matte black 30" and a die cut ESPN knock off logo in ij35 + gloss lam. unfortunately no one was injured. :)
we just used an extra wide 3M power grip CPA-1 felt squeegee and some knee pads.

we've also done a 20x20 floor for a Latin TV show set. high traffic so we used high tack vinyl 3105HT + 10mil polycarb textured laminate. they had a band and three ladies dancing salsa on it at at every commercial break. unfortunately no one was injured either. Although we did have to do a repair. One of the ladies high heels lost the pad on the tip and it was just a metal nail sticking out the bottom of the shoe. but the show must go on. tore up the floor covering in that section and we printed a patch for it.

if its for a permanent install use ASTM rated laminate and a base vinyl with permanent adhesive.

Maybe you could expand on the non injury comment?

WrapGuy10

Curious what you got for a job like this? About how much per sq foot? Have a similar job and using Oracal 631 because its only for 1 night as well but not sure on pricing as of yet.