• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are you out of your mind....part 2

Pat Whatley

Yesterday I got chewed out by a wanna-be sign guy who waited until the last minute to order his signs and tried to make it my fault that it wasn't going to happen.

Today I get a guy from a new real estate company call me pissed off that I charged them installation for driving around for four hours changing out signs from his old company to his new company. Seems he was under the impression that since the posts were already in the ground installation would be free. All I could do was keep telling him installation was plainly listed on the work order he approved, the bill he signed, and the total shown on both matched the credit card slip he signed. Finally he got mad and asked how much credit he was getting for his old signs. I asked what he meant by credit...he wanted to know how much we were paying him for the old MDO signs since he "knows we strip them, repaint them, and resell them." He's coming by this evening to pick up his old signs.

I'm telling you, Mosh has got the right idea with growing corn.

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Wow, I think I'd find the guy's office - show up when you know he is out to lunch and pile up all the old signs on the reception desk with a note on an optional disposal fee.

wayne k
guam usa

J Hill Designs

Had a guy refuse to pay today for sign service - the problem was his primary power, so even though I spent an hour and a half tracing down secondary wires and changing out lamp sockets, he feels that since that wasn't the problem I shouldn't get payed for working...:banghead:

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Stack them in the corner ready for pickup.
They're probably dirty as hell so put a few small pine tar or brake grease spots on the edges for kicks and giggles...

Mosh

I am growing soybeans this year BTW. I hate customers who think we re-use old signs. Most end up in our burn pile or on the aluminum pile. Good MDO ones we do re-use...as shelving and odd stuff around the farm. In fact our outhouse down at the river is 4 old 4x8 signs and the roof is white V3 plastic. So I guess they do get re-used, tell your customer that.

Pat Whatley

His old signs are MDO and from three to five years old. Only two of the panels were worth keeping for anything but I stacked them...along with the rotted panels, on the side of the building so he can have them. I don't want to grease them, heck I'll help load them and 10 more if he'll come get them.

Stealth Ryder

His old signs are MDO and from three to five years old. Only two of the panels were worth keeping for anything but I stacked them...along with the rotted panels, on the side of the building so he can have them. I don't want to grease them, heck I'll help load them and 10 more if he'll come get them.

I come help if needed Pat and, give this guy a swift kick in the ass should I feel so inclined...

signage

Pat you should tell him that what he thinks is a credit for reuse is in reality a charge for refuse!

signmeup

I charge to dispose of old signs. We have to pay tipping fees at the dump plus haul them there. Next time leave them on the ground where they fell.

Farmboy

Yesterday I got chewed out by a wanna-be sign guy who waited until the last minute to order his signs and tried to make it my fault that it wasn't going to happen. They all say the same thing..."So there's nothing you can do to help me out?!" I'm thinking off making a coro box and wrap it to look like Dr. Who's time machine and welcome them to give it a try. Sarcasm is always better with props!

Marlene

we had a used car saleman try to pull the same stuff and claimed he was too busy to read the contract that he signed and no idea what he was paying for...I'll believe that one when pigs fly

signgal

I believe that requires an SOL answer. I had that happen once and started stating on the work order "No charge for sign removal and discard". That way they know I'm not gonna be careful with them or reuse them and they should pay for that service.

heyskull

I had a kind gent on the phone on Monday at about 4.30 wanting some signs for a building. "Will you come round and survey the site now"
I told him I couldn't get out till Tuesday Morning.
He rang back Tuesday morning as I was on route!!!!
He wants a whole load of internal signage which is of a material I don't have in stock.
He has rang adding more and more to the order.
Only at the end of the last call he enlightened me he is opening on Saturday!!!
Well I just sat their and laughed at him....
By the time I have layed this all out and got him to proof it then found a supplier of the material we will be into next week alone.
Also I told him I would need paid for this up front with him being a new client and the alarm bells ringing in my head with the question why can't he use the people who have fitted the rest of his signs!
In the end I threw the phone down.

SC