• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attention Oldies...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
So many of us have been in this business for years and years.

I think at some point, this can work against us.
This has been on my mind for a while, some of my angst
coming from sign and design forums, most from running work
using various vendors all over the US. it's probably a man thing...
Like a pi$$ing contest but...

If I'm going to be involved in a pissing contest, I want to know the rules
Are we being judges on distance, volume, spray width, or PMS Yellow
color matching.

So my biggest pet peeve:

"I've been doing this for 'X' amount of years."

Anyone doing this longer than 15 years has had to adjust to a
few things that had most shops re-thinking how they produce
signs... LED and print technology being the main changes.

20 years ago, it was rare that any of us were using large format printers
and no one was using LED's - How many adjustments to the process
have we had to make to compete.

25-30 years ago: it was rarer still that we were using computers. we had
to rethink everything about how to make signs.

30-35 Years - No computer, just hand skills, rub on letters and cameras.

At some point, we either adjust, hire someone who knows the new
technologies, or rely on the skills you know and muddle through the
machinery and new tech. I understand that it's hard to keep up.

-------------------

2 incidences happened this week that has me say enough!

I designed a sign that had push-thru letters. In my drawing I call out
that the push-thru letters be mechanically fastened inside the cabinet.
There are a number of reasons for it, but the biggest is have the option of
repainting the sign years later without compromising the structure and
lettering. The next, this particular vendor glues his letters to the backer... I
usually like to hog out the letters so the backer and letter(s) are a single unit.

The sign gets crated, sent to the place for install, on the way to getting the sign
to the property, the sign installer takes the sign out, puts it on a truck, and straps
it down, leaving a huge rub mark on the sign. They put the sign up, and now
we have to either rub the mark off (it won't rub out because it's a matte finish)
or repaint. Problem is, the fabricator glued the letters down with Lords and VHB.

There is no way that sign is being repainted. So I ask the old man why he
glued it...

He responds...
"I've always glued them down, I've been doing this for 60 years!"

Thats not an answer, it's a cop out. Now he has to cut faces, paint them
and fit new faces over the push through lettering... that is if they saved the file.

The sign shop who jacked up the sign... got the same thing, they had to tell me
they have been doing this for 35 years.

I'm not impressed....

-------------------

The other incident was billboards that needed some adjustments in the design.
The fabricator and the installer sat down and hammered out the changes so
an engineer can do his detail work. I make the new drawings, send it out to
them and the engineer, when it's time to coordinate the install, the fabricator
builds to the wrong drawing.

I get yelled at from the fabricator for changing the drawing to HIS specifications.

In his profanity laced tirade, he sayS "I've been doing this for 40 years"

I'm not impressed...

-------------------

Thats this week. I get the "I've been doing this" thing on a monthly basis.

Some of us oldies suck at this, we can't do a layout to save our lives, and have
no clue about the sign business except for what their little niche is. And even
then. Some even have degrees in design and art and still can't make a decent sign.

I used to have newbie-syndrome... like my work was never good enough.
The fact is, I was a better designer at 18 than I am now. I didn't know any
better, I was idealistic, and had less to worry about. I didn't know enough
to give up, and I could afford to give a darn...

Newbies beware... your mentors may not know it all.
Many being self taught, you may be shown poor habits and outdated attitudes.

I know cuz I've doing this for... oh, I better not.

Last edited:

Techman

The sign shop who jacked up the sign... got the same thing, they had to tell me
they have been doing this for 35 years.

This is such a bullscat answer..

So they been marring up sign cans for 35 years?

I am with you. Some good points here.

1leonchen

over time u learn. one thing i hate is if u have been doing this for 40 years u supposed to have the common sense to anticipate a problem. also u cannot argue over the problem the solution is what counts. older u get the smarter u try to work to expel less energy.problem =solution:smile:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I am totally immune to this.
If I do something mildly complex and do not write down the procedure, 3 or 4 months later a repeat of the same project will require me to figure out how I did it the first time.
The good part is I can read the same book twice in one year and still be surprised by the ending both times.......

wayne k
guam usa

Jillbeans

Both of your examples show either carelessness or lack of attention to details on the part of the end-user (not yours)
Whether you have been at it 10 months or 10 years there is never a reason to not be careful or pay attention to details.
Love....Jill

ddarlak

Go Bills!
sounds a whole lot like life in general...

you could go to a plumbers, cabinet makers, etc, forum and find the same rant...

SignProPlus-Chip

This is not about someone stuck in their ways because they have been doing it for "X" amount of years.

It's about an idiot not being able to follow clear instruction.

You stated you asked for the letters to be mechanically fastened. They didn't listen or care apparently.

OADesign

This is not about someone stuck in their ways because they have been doing it for "X" amount of years.

It's about an idiot not being able to follow clear instruction.

You stated you asked for the letters to be mechanically fastened. They didn't listen or care apparently.

^^This.

If the drawings called for a particular fabrication method, that method should have been followed. Period. Or if there was a thought that a different method could/should have been used. A quick phone call or email would have solved the problem. What if the 5 years from now the sign needs to be repainted for what ever reason. And you anticipate a cost and lead time because you know how the sign is fabricated...

GB2

Old Member
Rick, I'm just curious...what is the cabinet made of that had the push through letters and specifically how would you call out that mechanical fastening be accomplished?

Marlene

Rick, I'm just curious...what is the cabinet made of that had the push through letters and specifically how would you call out that mechanical fastening be accomplished?​

that is a good question as it sounded like you just requested a mechanical fastening but did you also include the how you wanted that done? if so, they were totally wrong. if not, glue and VHB tape could be seen as a fasterner. the straps chewing up the paint is just plain years of sloppy work habits, plain and simple

soundhound

I get this all the time, too...

The thing is that there is no one you can put any responsibility on anymore. The contractors who are still around are BIG, and they just want their people to move FAST, and on to the next job. So if yours sucks, well too bad.

I used to be able to find independent subcontractors who took some pride in their work, and they could be taught how to handle signs... and that they could take their time & ask questions.

One by one, they have either been sucked up into large operations so that they can get a regular check & bennies... or else they have taken on gigantic contracts that are way over their heads... and have no time or ability to focus on smaller projects.

And the 64,000 dollah question remains "what about us?"

Are we the last generation of independent sign shop operators?

How many flatbeds can a town/ city/ state/ region support?

Sometimes I already feel like I am a designer working for the guy who owns my local flatbed.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ha..... you think you have problems with second and third party installers and fabricators...... ??

We've had employees like that over the years. You show them, tell them, it's on the work order and they still say.... ahhh, I didn't see that, but this seemed better anyway. You didn't see it, but you had enough input to think your way was better than what... ?? You frickin' dope. You just were lazy and did it the easiest way at that moment.

Like mentioned, 10 months, 10 years or 25 or 40 years....... When something is specified and you have a difference of opinion, it should be questioned, discussed and then decided which route to follow.

Have I done it.... probably, but it never came back to bite me, but ya never know....

Today, we pretty much discuss things in full, but will never deviate from the written instructions. Written trumps all else... and will always determine who is at fault, should something go wrong.

TammieH

"I've been doing this for ______ years" Is usually just an excuse or basically release from "its not my fault" and "I know better than you"

Just a thought, there is no way that the sign can be masked (realizing this could be tedious) and touched up with an airbrush or touch up gun?

J Hill Designs

Rick, I'm just curious...what is the cabinet made of that had the push through letters and specifically how would you call out that mechanical fastening be accomplished?

stud welds on interior. Ive seen it quite a few times to mech fasten a push-through mount.

Rick

"I've been doing this for ______ years" Is usually just an excuse or basically release from "its not my fault" and "I know better than you"

Just a thought, there is no way that the sign can be masked (realizing this could be tedious) and touched up with an airbrush or touch up gun?

My first idea was spraying the whole thing, lettering and all, since all of it is matte...
the sign is attached and close to apartments and the thought was the city would freak.

Rick

stud welds on interior. Ive seen it quite a few times to mech fasten a push-through mount.

I used to call out welded studs, but was never happy with the finish job done with the face distortion.
I started calling out this...
Welding studs to a panel, then using VHB/Lords and attaching panel/stud to the interior of the cabinet.
Then attaching push through with brake formed aluminum and bolt it down

Attachments

• PUSH THRU ATTACH.jpg
    PUSH THRU ATTACH.jpg
    714.4 KB · Views: 45

Rick

^^This.

If the drawings called for a particular fabrication method, that method should have been followed. Period. Or if there was a thought that a different method could/should have been used. A quick phone call or email would have solved the problem. What if the 5 years from now the sign needs to be repainted for what ever reason. And you anticipate a cost and lead time because you know how the sign is fabricated...

that is a good question as it sounded like you just requested a mechanical fastening but did you also include the how you wanted that done? if so, they were totally wrong. if not, glue and VHB tape could be seen as a fasterner. the straps chewing up the paint is just plain years of sloppy work habits, plain and simple

For the most part:
There is no "standard" for fastening push thru and though I try to give every detail.
I have to allow the fabricator some allowance for how they fabricate a sign. I deal
with more fabricators than I care to think about. All have their own way... but...
during the initial construction meeting, this was called out as welded studs and
clip attachment using the method I prefer.

Most fabricators ignore my notes, but as long as I can take the letters out for servicing,
I don't care... but when something happens and someone has to remove the lettering
and find out the whole cabinet is trash if they try... well, thats unacceptable if we can
not find an alternate solution to re-finishing the sign.

If this sign never was jacked up, I never would have known... and I'm fine with that...
but when things get screwed up... own your part.