• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cast vs. Calendared Vinyl

CS-SignSupply-TT

CAST or CALENDARED

Thank for the quick response. Why is cast the better vinyl then calendered?

I got this one, y'all. Even though I do not speak CAJUN, I think Kurt will understand. CAST is manufactured by pouring the liquid vinyl to its finished size and allowing it to cure accordingly. CALENDARED is manufactured by pouring the liquid to a specific size, curing, and then "stretching" the product to its finished size. The stretching gives the vinyl a memory; therefore, over time, the applied vinyl will "shrink" back to its pre-stretched size.

wildside

CAST is manufactured by pouring the liquid vinyl to its finished size and allowing it to cure accordingly. CALENDARED is manufactured by pouring the liquid to a specific size, curing, and then "stretching" the product to its finished size. The stretching gives the vinyl a memory; therefore, over time, the applied vinyl will "shrink" back to its pre-stretched size.

similar, but what i always understood, and told by a gregory rep probably 15 years ago, that cast starts as a liquid and is poured onto massive sheets and baked to cure, while calendared starts as almost like a "playdough" or putty and rolled through different pinch rollers to squeeze it down to the thin shape

cast is stretchy and does not have a memory because it started as a liquid and has no reference point while calendared will always try to ball back up to its original "playdough" state, causing the curling and the shrinking.....

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It was explained to me by a VP at the old Fasson (now Avery) ...

Calendared vinyl starts out as a dough and is either extruded through a thin slot with pressure or rolled into a sheet using steel rollers. Either way the molecular memory of the film is that of a lump and it will want to shrink back into a lump when exposed to heat or as it ages. All that stops it from doing so is the adhesive.

Cast vinyl is liquified and then sprayed like paint against a "casting sheet" where it dries or cures and is left with the molecular memory of the sheet it dried as. Therefore, it has no tendency to shrink as it ages.

Cast vinyl is inherently more expensive to produce but it is also inherently superior for long term outdoor vinyl lettering and graphics.

_Neil

Other than the manufacturing process, I've been told (by a vinyl supplier) that cast will have a more matte finish, and calendared will be more glossy.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Other than the manufacturing process, I've been told (by a vinyl supplier) that cast will have a more matte finish, and calendared will be more glossy.

That's a big negative! Both are available in many finishes including matte or gloss. The cast and calendared difference is all in the manufacturing process as explained by others above. Finishes, Base Color, etc is all shared by both types of vinyl.

ams

Because it conforms better and holds up longer, also better quality. Why go into technical details?

player

For the reasons already discussed, calendared shrinks. When it shrinks (and it can shrink substantially) the adhesive either gives up, or holds and causes cracking and then peeling. Although there are some better quality calendared vinyls, most are made with cheaper materials which further degrades their quality.

decalman

While calendered does play second fiddle to cast, fret not, there are some excellent calendered films, on the market nowadays.
I've seen large graphics --calendered- that I've made, 4 years later, looking very good. Note-- in the hot desert sun. 114 degree heat

Jillbeans

I was always taught that cast is a more premium product and should be used on long-term jobs and vehicles.
Calendered can discolor and shrink, and is for cheaper jobs like corosigns.
Love....Jill

I think a very important point that has yet to be mentioned is that cast is also available in a much broader selection of colors and textures than calendered.

Marlene

brand also matters. some cast premium by some companies is garbage. cheap brands put out cheap cast so use a good brand if you want it to last

Jeremiah

So if that is the case. We should not use callandered vinyl outside in the sun, if you do. Do you tell the customer it won't last? Or is this thought taking it too far ? Just use it ?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So if that is the case. We should not use callandered vinyl outside in the sun, if you do. Do you tell the customer it won't last? Or is this thought taking it too far ? Just use it ?

Where did you read, that ??

Jeremiah

I read it in Every post before mine, IF I consider quality is supposed to last for the customer. It was really a question on how people feel about curled up vinyl signs. Just asking for opinions.

signman315

Signmaker
Every scenario is different and judged on a case by case basis. If it’s out for a weekend then calendared is fine, if it’s out for 7 years then cast, if it’s out for 20 years then ditch vinyl and carve it. But also there’s other factors to consider...does the vinyl need to conform over curves/rivets, will it be exposed to fuel/solvents, will it be underwater, will it be applied to latex paint, does it ever need to be removed, does it apply to low energy plastic like an ATV, and on and on it goes. Lucky for us a vinyl has been developed for every scenario, it’s the printer/sign maker’s duty to test and know the specific purpose of any given vinyl type/brand and use them accordingly for the purpose they were designed. Otherwise you’re doing your customers, our industry, and your business a great disservice. Many vendors will send you free samples of various vinyls/products. Take the time to test different types of vinyl, apply them to different substrates, pull them up, wrinkle and unwrinkle them, hit em with the torch, give your hands time to familiarize with each material. Then when it comes time to choose the right vinyl for the job it will be a natural and easy choice. Well worth the time, and will stay with you for your whole career!

litewave

What I understand after talking to various manufacturers and wholesalers is...

The gap between cast and good quality polymeric vinyls has been closed quite significantly by improvements over recent years. For example; one of Avery or Mactacs Polymeric products have shrinkage rates equal or almost same to premium casts and some are better than a mid range cast vinyls....

From my discussions with a manufacturer last year for a long term outdoor application I concluded there was little to choose from in most cases. Casts are usually better suited to curved substrates (cast vinyl has less 'memory') and also can be produced by some in relatively low volumes; good for custom/specific colours. Asides that it might be the 80:20 rule, where top quality polymeric vinyls are 80% good for most applications.