• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

check this out

gabagoo

I ordered 7 yards of 15" reflective yellow vinyl to be run on my Edge. I just loaded it and within the first 30", I find this!! I can only hope they calculated the 7 yards after the seam.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 421

TGL

In much earlier years (using 3M Scotchcal) there would always be an added tab/note stating an extra yard has been included for the 'inconvenience', but that only happened buying full 10 or 50yd rolls. If it posed a real problem, my supplier wouldn't think twice about crediting my account for a fair amount. Buying only 7 yards, your supplier had to have seen it when cutting it -- I'd take it up with him considering the circumstances of needing that long run. If you're an established customer, they'd be foolish not to do right by you.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Always request non-spliced vinyl. It is a common request and easily accommodated. As a supplier I never send out a spliced roll without asking the customer first.

gabagoo

If I had ordered a 50 yard roll maybe I put up with a splice...but seven yards? and the splice was at the 27" mark from the front of the roll? I assumed I had extra material at the end, but NO!! Good thing I had a couple yards in stock.... Reflective is one of the priciest vinyls around so don't be giving me any splices that cant go through the Edge printer. My supplier is usually pretty good about this stuff so i will get credited for it. I am also only a 5 minute drive away...so replacing is not really an issue... The guy who cut this is an issue....

TammieH

They were wrong, for sure! Most likely someone who does not know any better that filled the order.

BUT!!!!!!!!! You should have purchased a 10yd roll, most suppliers give you a price break at 10 yds, where as, you would have paid the same or a little less than the 7yds

ams

In my 10 years in the sign business, I have only had a splice one time. Don't know if I am lucky or just buying the better stuff.

SignosaurusRex

In my 10 years in the sign business, I have only had a splice one time. Don't know if I am lucky or just buying the better stuff.
...and that "Better Stuff" would be what? You may just be "Lucky". It happens with ALL brands when ordered in short/odd yardage increments, that are ordered from a supplier that doesn't give a crap or pay attention at a level that they should.

ams

...and that "Better Stuff" would be what? You may just be "Lucky". It happens with ALL brands when ordered in short/odd yardage increments, that are ordered from a supplier that doesn't give a crap or pay attention at a level that they should.

What I mean is that if you are buying the cheapest vinyl such as 4 year vinyl or buying off brands from ebay and amazon, then you probably will get splices. The 3 top companies are really good about splicing which is probably why I don't see it.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
What I mean is that if you are buying the cheapest vinyl such as 4 year vinyl or buying off brands from ebay and amazon, then you probably will get splices. The 3 top companies are really good about splicing which is probably why I don't see it.
From the perforations on the OP's picture, it appears to be Gerber material (3M). In this case, it has zip to do with the "buying the cheapest vinyl" or "off brands."
3M (Gerber), Avery, Oracal and Arlon all will occasionally have splices. Even the print media. You are just lucky to have never gotten a roll that did.

gabagoo

You mean there is better stuff than 3m 280 reflective? NOT!!! For me 3M costs more but the processing time is so much faster....always weeds great...worth every cent

Kottwitz-Graphics

I thought splices were a thing of the past... granted, 95% of my rolls are 10 yards, but I haven't gotten a spliced roll since the mid 2000's...

But I do seem to remember getting 50 yard rolls in the 90's, and seeing that little tab somewhere in the middle...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Haven't experienced any spliced rolls since we stopped using Kapco...... for reflective

As for buying on ebay or your other dumb examples...... where or what did any of that have to do with this thread or conversation ??

You have a keen knack for introducing......... stoopid. Whatever happened to your new electric shop you were building ??