• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CJV150 & JV150 - Horribly Inaccurate Colors - Don't know what to do :(

gabagoo

Are your canned profiles coming from SAI or from Mimaki?
I am downloading them through the profile update software that installs with rasterlink.

Very very odd, though. Not sure where to look now, if you say you are using jetbest and have good color coming out.
I do have a color chart that I have printed as well, so that I can match spot colors to what the printer is actually outputting (even though the color codes may be different) but that is real hard to solve with raster images like the one above, that doesnt have solid colors.
Yes, I use the profiles that Flexi has and there are quite a few. I generally use the Oracal 651 profile but print on General Formulations for the most part. When it comes to bitmaps I really don't adjust anything...they seem OK but if customers get picky I could see where there could be an issue.

gabagoo

The image is pretty low res and I broke the masks down so that I could print one line of them for you. Not sure what colour it should be but it sort of has a goldy brown look.
IMG_2055.jpg
File attached

johnb554

The image is pretty low res and I broke the masks down so that I could print one line of them for you. Not sure what colour it should be but it sort of has a goldy brown look. View attachment 157289 File attached
I would say that looks about right!
On ours with rasterlink, regardless of the profile, it is coming out really dark and greenish. I actually tried the Oracal 651 profile as well as a benchmark and mine looks nothing like yours.
I wonder what would happen if you printed the same thing on rasterlink with the 651 profile. Im so friggin confused. Something has got to give here.

This is all blowing my mind. I have no idea how the same printer under so many circumstances can have such drastically different colors.

johnb554

Have you run the test prints on the printer. Maybe some nozzles are blocked
Yeah I have definitely tried this. Nozzle check is good.
I think overall everything is just too blue and way too dark across the board.
For now, I have changed the densities in the color adjustment on RL to -15 cyan and -30 overall density, and its getting me at least somewhere in the ballpark.
I had a Mimaki tech log in to the computers today and check input profiles etc and make some changes to the settings which gave a very slight improvement, but nothing to bring what it was into an acceptable manner.

I am at a loss here on what to do next now.

FrankW

i have like 6 of those, they need to NOT have the UV cut filter
those are for print industry.

I am currently using the ES-2000 (no UV cut) with flexi 19

The first i1 has a hardware UV-Cut-Filter, any ES-1000 I have seen has this filter integrated.

With the ES-2000, it isn‘t hardware anymore. So you can activate and deactivate the UV-Cut-Filter in the software. As far as I know the illumination changes.

FrankW

Good info. Thats at least a bit reassuring.
Would you have any insight on where I can get the software without paying an absolute arm and a leg for it?
Perhaps you will find someone who lent you the software. He needs to deactivate it, so you can activate it. He must trust you that you deactivate it when he needs it back.

Im sorry, I cant lent a software owned by my employer to someone on another continent without knowing him personally.

netsol

Frank W
he doesn't need the software with flexi, the whole process can be done inside the flexi suite

we use flexi.

we have a half dozen of these, many unfortunately with UV cut filter for printing industry ( i was too buying on ebay before i understood what i was buying) we have snow storm today. i will go to the office saturday and see if any of ours have thbe CMYK license (not sure) for the xrite suite.
if i do he can borrow the unit.

is there any other way to verify than install the xrite for xrites and efi suite for efi devices and see what features "come alive"?

netsol

Frank i believe they came both ways, depending on whether they were destined for the print industry (with UV cut) or for our industry (without)
different firmware & not something we can reverse or so i was told at the time

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Sorry I was called out on a service call yesterday. Here's a screenshot of the settings I used to print the image circled in green.

settings.jpg

johnb554

UPDATE:
Spoke with ND graphics today, not much help there.
Mimaki tech from Canada HQ was in our computers yesterday as well to tweak any wrong settings in illustrator and rasterlink also to no avail.
They DO have another vendor out here who he contacted, they also do not have a profiler, and nor does ND graphics.
Basically they are just saying its the 3rd party ink, and not anything else, and to switch back to OEM - (I was previously on OEM, and there is barely any conceivable difference in output, and I dont feel like dropping a grand to prove that point)
Reached out to jetbest as well, and they have profiles for roland but none for mimaki and no software to make them.

Is remote profiling an option with MPM3?
Like is there any way I can print charts here and courier them to someone who can whip up the profiles and send me the files?

I am also linking lab data below for the ink that we are using, in case it is of interest to anyone. Jetbest claims full compatibility to OEM gamut and formulation, and I can vouch for this and say that we have gone as far to swap inks for a day with no big changes in the past.
Jetbest Lab Testing Data

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I am at a loss here on what to do next now
You're seriously underestimated the importance of what I posted in mine of #28. You first should print a control file. If you can't find one, make one a simple as the gray ramp in #28. Print it. Post a picture of the results here.

johnb554

You're seriously underestimated the importance of what I posted in mine of #28. You first should print a control file. If you can't find one, make one a simple as the gray ramp in #28. Print it. Post a picture of the results here.
I will try this.
Let me see what I can find. If you have any links to a good file that you are familiar with please let me know!

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I will try this.
Let me see what I can find. If you have any links to a good file that you are familiar with please let me know!
This forms half of my very regular test image. The other (colour half) is no longer online, other than at archive.org https://web.archive.org/web/2014123...printer_tests/PrinterEvaluationImage_V002.zip (very slow download)

johnb554

This forms half of my very regular test image. The other (colour half) is no longer online, other than at archive.org https://web.archive.org/web/2014123...printer_tests/PrinterEvaluationImage_V002.zip (very slow download)
Thanks!
I will give these a go and post the results as soon as I can get some available printer time.

In addition to that, I have a "development" from ND Graphics.
Wait until you heat this fantastic customer service.

They would like to charge me for travel time and an hourly rate of $180 per hour for their tech, who does not know how to profile, to come to my shop and watch me profile my own printer.
I have been told that I need to also provide my own spectro, however he will bring a laptop with the software. But I have to do it myself.

What the F*ck.

netsol

That won't work for you. Those are specific to EFI.

EDITED TO SAY: In my experience of those who've tried the same.
colorcrest
we use an es2000 all the time with flexi 12 & flexi 19
it is an i1 pro, but it will probably only work with EFI software or flexi cloud

or he can get an es2000 he would be fine, BUT that would mean he would only be able to work in flexi, i assume
if there a function to import flexi profiles into whatever rip he is using?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
colorcrest
we use an es2000 all the time with flexi 12 & flexi 19
it is an i1 pro, but it will probably only work with EFI software or flexi cloud

or he can get an es2000 he would be fine, BUT that would mean he would only be able to work in flexi, i assume
if there a function to import flexi profiles into whatever rip he is using?
From what I've been told, the X-Rite versions act as a dongle to X-Rite profile creation software where the EFI versions do not. I've always assumed the EFI version acted as a dongle specific to Fiery software but that appears to not be the case. All the better that people can a find another use for the many "ES" versions salvaged after their companion copier has worn out.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
Hi, it looks like you’ve got some experts on this but did the printers ever, at any point in the past, give you a good output?

If you print test prints with solid cmyk colors do they look correct?