• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cleaning Lexan

K2

I have a customer that bought a 4x6 sign off ebay or something, it is reverse painted on the inside and he is wanting me to clean it and letter/wrap it. Any suggestions on the best way to clean it and how much would yall charge.

d fleming

If it is a clear backlit panface backsprayed, it will be cheaper to start new. Your customer just threw money away.

CanuckSigns

I would tell him that after he pays you $xx per hour to clean his sign, it would be cheaper to use a brand new piece. Also, lexsan doesn't always clean very well, it has a tendency to yellow and haze over time.

Techman

+3

new sheet every time. They insist on me using an old sheet gets a pass on the job. It ain't worth the mess in your yard let alone the mony.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Lexan is very subject to damage with most solvents and should only be cleaned with special blends of solvents sold by the same companies that make the spray paints such as GripFlex or Spraylat. The damage is typically delayed in appearing by a day or two and will be in the form of crazing which will ultimately result in the face shattering into a million little pieces.

You should advise your client hat you will not be responsible if the face is damaged in trying to clean it ... and I recommend that you instead upsell him to a new face.

CanuckSigns

+1
you know that if anything happens to his sign while you try to clean it, he will blame you and insist you give him a brand new one, for free, in fact i wouldn't be surprised if he is counting on this happening.

Lexan is very subject to damage with most solvents and should only be cleaned with special blends of solvents sold by the same companies that make the spray paints such as GripFlex or Spraylat. The damage is typically delayed in appearing by a day or two and will be in the form of crazing which will ultimately result in the face shattering into a million little pieces.

You should advise your client hat you will not be responsible if the face is damaged in trying to clean it ... and I recommend that you instead upsell him to a new face.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do yourself a favor and tell him you don't clean 3rd party substrates.

If he is that cheap that he bought a can and face from ebay.... you don't need this character's business... he will turn out to be total mess and hard to get your money out of in the end.