• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cold weather install on glass ?

laforestsigns

Quick question to all of you , a new client has tons of glasswork all over the east coast , and time constraints mean we can't wait till spring ! So to keep the new client happy , are there any tips for installing in very cold weather ? These are retail buildings installing 3m control tac printed and laminated with ant-grafitti . In the past for this type of job i would use a bullet heater heatgun . But their arer hundreds of installs in the next month and the store doesn't want the doors open for cords in the middle of winter . Propane torch perhaps ? Thanks for any suggestions !!! :thankyou:

laforestsigns

I have 14 vans and only 2 have generators . Problem being some of the glass is very high so a bullet heater is almost useless , and in a bunch of locations you can't get the truck even close . Last week we had mixed results with heatguns . glass cooled too quick . couple of my wrap guys want to use propane but im looking for advice first as ive read the glass can pop ? My worries are nobody else wanted this job ! And for such a large client i'll do anything to make it work !!

Border

And for such a large client i'll do anything to make it work !!

Time to buy 12 more generators and and couple of scafold setups or whatever it takes to reach those higher windows!
Propane on glass is not a good idea and it will usually make condensation on the glass anyways.

anotherdog

I'm wincing at the propane in such cold weather.
A nice profit on an install would be wiped by a single plate glass crack.

laforestsigns

Ya thats what im afraid of ! My suppliers all say don't do it ! I hope I don't learn a hard lesson , But it's a chance worth taking . Where there's a will there's a way !

Marlene

Propane torch perhaps

NO! never heat glass, ever. call these guys 1-800-866-8440 (818-847-1426). they sell a product called Quick Stick AF 908 application fluid for cold weather. not sure if they are still around but worth a shot.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Seriously, why don't you just put them on dry with a big squeegee ??

You're only looking for problems and unavoidable expense if you have 100's of installs to do.

the only safe way in my opinion to heat up glass is to allow it to heat up from the buildings heat indoors.

have the client crank the heat at the end of the day prior to installation and have them cook all morning long and show up for your installation at the warmest part of the day...

do not heat it up with a torch.
do not heat it up by throwing hot water on the window.
do not heat it with a propane heater.

i have seen people blow out GIANT storefront display windows using all of the methods i just listed...if you are going to risk it and challenge all common sense PLEASE make sure your insurance is up to date. one of the windows that i saw blown out was over $10,000
and that is not a typo

Joe Diaz

NO! never heat glass, ever.
Ditto the above. This is the type of lesson you don't want to learn from experience. I know you probably want to only hear how to do this in the cold. But it might be better to wait until it warms up. Tell your client the truth. That it is not recommended to install vinyl in cold weather, tell then that most vinyl manufactures have recommended temperatures for installing films and that they will have a much better longer lasting product if they are patient and play it safe in this case.

Then try to sell them on temporary banners/prints that can be hung in the window until it warms up enough for vinyl lettering to be install. Seriously, play it safe and be the authority on the subject. I think if you do this the client will respect the fact that you are looking out for their best interest and that you have a better understand of the material that you are using. This, as a result, will help you win over the client and hopefully they will use you more in the future, as opposed to accidentally breaking their window or the vinyl failing early, in which case they will never call again.

laforestsigns

Thanks a lot guys for your info , these are 24 hour pharmacy's so i don't have the option to use their heat . I think im going to try some rapid tac 2 tomorrow and see if that helps . I've heard of some crews using the dry technique but my guys never have much luck with it ? any recomondations on that ?? Our bread and butter is in interior store graphics , so we do a lot of dimensional stuff . although we do a fair amount of truck lettering , glass is not our specialty . Are there classes anyone knows of to learn glass apps ?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, if you're willing to do anything to prove a point to your customer, then why don't you reverse print on clear, mount and then overlay a piece of white double sided adhesive back vinyl over it and do them all from the inside ??

Presto....... no heat, no graffiti crap, no scaffolding or ladders and you'll keep the dexterity in your installers fingers.

Go in early in the morning and you'll be out of their customers' way.

You did say they were digital prints with graffiti protection.